902. The Phantom Planet (1961)

I totally agree. I love this episode after a long day at work. It’s one of the best of season 9.

4 Likes

Mmhmm.

And like the best episodes, the real trick is that the movie gets you involved, but never gets too heavy. That’s key.

4 Likes

IMO one of the best black-and-white space movies, largely because it doesn’t spend THE WHOLE DAMN MOVIE ON THE SHIP. And of course, The Good and the Beautiful is an all time classic monologue.

9 Likes

I’ve seen this without the Mst3K treatment on Comet. It’s not a bad movie. But Mst adds so much too it. Like 12 to the Moon it makes you pay attention to the plot. And in my opinion, this has more character than that movie.

4 Likes

I hadn’t actively considered this aspect of the movie, but now that you mention it, I like that.

And I love the FEEL of the asteroid as the home base of the movie. I don’t know, for lack of a better term, the whole thing seemed cozy, which seems like a ridiculous notion, given that the whole movie is set in ROCK MANSION.

7 Likes

Incidentally, the longest MST3K stinger until Season 11 gave us Carnival Magic!

5 Likes

That monologue is ingrained in my subconscious. It might be the best stinger in Mst3K history!

6 Likes

We get repeat MST3K appaearances from Colleen Gray and Dolores Faith, so the movie’s not too bad to look at (plus the Solarite’s widdle face does make me want to take him walkies!)

5 Likes

The away from the ship feel is a major plus. Walking, talking, interaction, events are allowed to breathe and it acts truer to life than cramped up in a cockpit for much of the movie.

4 Likes

Waiiit a minute! I’ve counted like 200 episodes in your top 100 list.

3 Likes

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

[looks to the camera]

I mean, he’s not WRONG.

[looks back]

HEY, LOOK OVER THERE, A HUGE DISTRACTING THING!

[runs away while everyone’s distracted by the alleged huge distracting thing]

4 Likes

It’s the Time Bag. Possibly he’s dragging in preferences from other times.

3 Likes

This is canon now, we’re running with this!

3 Likes

Or it’s a 101-way tie for 100th. Whatever works.

5 Likes