Bert. I. Gordon. Bigger Is Better?

Who doesn’t like giant monster movies? Monsters, that’s who (the bad kind, not the cool giant kind). I might have to make this B.I.G. month now.

3 Likes

i hate to bring the B. I. G. sad now, but…
At least he made it to triple-digits.

3 Likes

I got the news this morning on comicbook.com.

I am surprised he made it to 100. He left behind one hell of a legacy on MST3K. I hope we’ll get a Bert I. Gordon month at the Gizmoplex. Maybe re-riff Village of the Giants now that Kino did a digital remaster.

Rest in peace, Mr. B.I.G.

4 Likes

Just saw the news. 100 years, 18 grandkids, 25 years in the movie industry. Not bad. Not bad at all, really.

I do find myself wondering if the New York Times has ever before or ever will again find cause to run a still from Village of the Giants.

2 Likes

The New York Post? Maybe. But the New York Times? Don’t bet on it.

3 Likes

Bert I Gordon seemed to genuinely love making films and had some actual craft. In contrast to Ed Wood who loved movies yet had no craft and Coleman Francis who seemed to actively despise both the medium and the audience.

7 Likes

We are talking MST, so we’re grading on a curve, but I’d say for the most part Mr. Gordon was on the good side of that curve.

6 Likes

Like I’ve said elsewhere, I factor in intent as well as skill, which is why I rank Ed Wood higher than Coleman Francis. Gordon seemed to want to have a message in his movies; they weren’t necessarily DEEP messages, but messages none the less.

5 Likes

I was reading an article from Variety about a new documentary about the Star Wars Holiday Special and noticed this:

You know that scene in which Bea Arthur flirts with what appears to be a large rat? The rodent’s head was recycled from a low-budget 1976 sci-fi melodrama, Bert I. Gordon’s “Food of the Gods.”

So Burt I. is officially part of the Star Wars universe! Who knew? (Redundant question since I’m sure hardcore Star Wars fans knew this long ago.)

5 Likes