Fanficisode: Production discussion

Had a bit of free time while dealing with various computer problems that were preventing me from working on other projects, so I finished leaving production comments on both 1a and 1b.
Oddly, there were a few jokes during the diving bell sequence that seemed to be in completely the wrong time code. Not sure if they accidentally got pasted in the wrong spot or what.

Unfortunately, there were also some higher scoring jokes that I think we’re going to end up having to cut or go with lower scoring alternates because of timing issues. These first two sections are so dialogue dense that there’s a lot of issues with stepping on set-up lines, or characters (like the two reporters, and Hank) being on screen for only a fraction of a second, so it doesn’t really work trying to do conversational or sight gags with them.

Also, noticed that while we have comment ability, editing the text in columns B and C is still forbidden. At least for me.

I’ve removed any remaining protected ranges. You should have no trouble editing any column now, including time (A) and line (B).

1 Like

I’m picking this back up now. Lots of good insights were offered in the VIP set visit Q&A (now that it is watchable).

Some of my comments are going to be geared toward riff polishing, but I’m writing them down anyway so I don’t lose the thoughts.

What is the best way to clean this up? Should someone go through it an change the yellow to a different color to indicate a proposed locking in of a riff? Perhaps another color to indicate a possible deletion (for timing conflicts with important dialog or other riffs, for example). Here, I’m talking about just the riff choice, not precision timing or final wording. As I mentioned, things will still need polishing.

1 Like

I’ve been dealing with some computer hardware issues (thought it was hard drive going out, I think I’ve got it pinned down to a bad power supply), so I’m picking back up now as well.

I think at least 75% of what we’ve got written in Black on Yellow is probably fine, so we’re probably better off color-coding the stuff where we think there’s problem areas or where there isn’t consensus about what we should use.

I’m proposing the following color additions (let me know if I’m over-thinking this):

Blue text: Potential problem riff, or at least an area that needs discussion/weigh in. Also wrote (see note) in a few places, to discuss general riff placement.

Red text: Proposed deletion/trim that needs discussion/nod of approval.

Green text: Proposed edits, rephrasing, or additions that need discussion/nod of approval. (also penciled in a few tentative jokes here where there’s a toss-up or nothing else viable, just so there’s something to comment off of)

Black Strikethrough text: A proposed deletion where we appear to have majority consensus that the line needs to go away.

Bold Black Text Our “back to black” color. Basically, a red/blue/green line that we discussed and appear to have made a decision on how we want it worded.

Light yellow background: A block of time where it feels like there’s space for a riff and we either don’t have one, or don’t have anything clearly chosen from the available options.

Pink background: Proposed protected movie dialogue area, where it feels like movie dialogue either sets up important plot points or other higher scoring jokes down the line. Pretty much the same thing as saying there should be X’s here, or we need to decide that this joke is so funny it’s worth killing the setup line for the next one or two.

1 Like

Added color coding to first two tabs based on comments left so far. We can change it if it’s too confusing.

It feels like we’ve stalled out a little bit, so it might help if we set some rough deadlines, like trying to get everybody to complete at least a first pass of 1 tab a week so we can try to get this thing done by Turkey Day. If we can get the first few tabs sorted, I can start work on the text captions, which is going to be time consuming, but less so if I’m tackling it in smaller 8 minute chunks at a time.

I might even be able to put up a short private demo video on Google Drive of just the first section so we can see how it looks put together and how I’m doing in terms of dialing in the length of time the captions to remain up on-screen, since everybody reads at a slightly different speed. (If it seems like they’re on and off too fast, we may need to reevaluate our joke spacing.)

1 Like

Overthinking a bit, sure, but it could work. :wink:

If someone color codes something (let’s just say whoever gets to it first can color it as they personally view it), then a single additional color choice for the next reviewer to change it to in order to simply indicate any disagreement, regardless of category, perhaps. That way, we can see what needs a more formal discussion for the second pass.

Works for me. Basically, coloring any cell or text anything other than yellow and black should hopefully draw eyes to it for discussion.

Hey @EBK , @abskani , and @griff17matt
After talking to @MyWy I’ve come to accept that we’re kind of going in two different directions with this script and I think my theater silhouette version needs to be split off from his original subtitle proposal.

The fact is, that if we’re trying to go for something that can be acted out by voice actors and some form of silhouettes (either my recycled loops or eventually going in with green screen and puppets) a lot of the riffs need to be trimmed/cut/reworded/merged/moved or otherwise “mucked about with” to steal a term from Terry Pratchett, to fit the available gaps between dialogue and practical limitations of the production (ex: my animation loops aren’t going to be able to hold up cue cards, push up the opening titles, or do any other sort of visual gag that requires special movement)

This approach involves editing other people’s work, and in some cases, dropping jokes that scored highly in favor of lower scoring or entirely new or hybrid jokes that fit the available space and work better within the context of the production.

I know I’ve been pushing hard (possibly too hard) for a “ready for production” style script, which has resulted in hurt feelings and left other people feeling left out of the loop, and for that I apologize. I saw a shiny thing on the horizon and wanted to reach for it, but doing so has resulted in stepping on some toes.

So my proposal is this:

We’ve already got some good production notes for about 1/3 of the movie, but a lot of the jokes have had to been tweaked along the way. I’d like to copy everything that’s currently in column C over to a new column D, and re-label Column C “Fan Script” and Column D “Fan Production 1.0”.

Column C - The Fan Script will become literally that. The “if you can dream it” group-written script using @MyWy’s original plain text-only subtitles keyed over the top of the movie. Possibly with a non-animated static theater silhouette down at the bottom, if people wanted it. For the fan script, we stop thinking on a logistical production level about the limitations of actors speaking the lines or performing the movements and just put jokes in exactly as the group wrote them. Laws of space and time… who needs them? If a joke scored highly enough and will fit within the character limit of the caption bar, we slap it in there and don’t think too much about how it would actually work in meat space. For this version, the only directorial decisions we need to make are choosing between two jokes that scored almost the same or instances where the captions are so long, they’d spill over and overlap the next joke.

Column D - The Fan Production v1.0 is what I’ve been trying to steer towards, which is an episode that works on a more functional “actors/puppets need to be able to say and do this” level, with full theater silhouettes, riff timing factored in, and basically everything done as close to an actual professionally released TV episode as we can get… currently without any skits or voice actors, but with the intention that we can drop those elements in at a later date with a minimal amount of change. This will necessitate trimming and altering jokes, making judgement calls in terms of context and tone, and limiting the visual gags (for the moment) to just what I know can be pulled off using my cheap and dirty animation loops in Adobe Premiere.

This 2nd Production version… I think needs to be approached with the full understanding that we solicited jokes from the group and will be using the fan script as a base (and everybody who contributed to the fan script still gets full credit as a writer), but the production team are going to be making directorial decisions, changing/rewording/moving and in some cases, replacing or adding gags to try to make it performable within the confines of the production format.

I’m hoping splitting the two off like this will give the production version more room to breath, without making other people feel like they’ve been entirely cut out of the process. One is the fan script, the other is a fan production “based on a novel by” the fan script.

And since the two review columns will be side by side, moving forward when we review each tab we can try to think about both versions as we’re going along. If the 9 point riff calls for the host to hold up cue cards, conduct an orchestra, or have a three-way conversation for a bit that’s only up on screen for 2 seconds… Fine for the Fan Script, doesn’t work in Production, and we’ll need to consider what other options are available.

And if we ever get to “Production 1.5” with voice work or “Production 2.0” with live actors or puppets, we can copy everything over from from the previous “Production 1.0” column into a new Column E and make additional changes as necessary based on the specific advantages and limitations of that production. (Do we have three entirely new characters? How much can they move? What are the vocal ranges of the performers? Can anybody do a convincing Mitch Hedberg impersonation? Do we need to spend part of the theater time leading into or responding to an adjacent host segment? etc…)

So what do you guys think, guys? Does this work?

Also, just to explain a little bit more about what I’m trying to do with the Production 1.0 version. My goal is to make this as modular as possible where everything is individually layered so that any given element can be removed from the production simply by toggling that particular layer’s visibility on or off.

So if we want to do a Version 1.5 with voice work added to my existing animation loops, I just have to switch off the caption text layers, and drop in additional audio track(s).

Or a version 2.0 with full green screen puppet or live-action actor(s), I can simply strip out the layers containing the Mike, Crow, and Tom animation loops, but leave the seat silhouettes… or remove them too if it’s easier to film that bit physically.

I can also make a version that strips out everything but the riff captions and the original movie, and adds a time code element in the bottom corner for teleprompting the performers.

Basically, however far we want to take this, we shouldn’t have to completely reinvent the wheel or start over from scratch. Any given element can be erased and replaced at any given time.

4 Likes

I don’t think we need to spend any time on a “fan script”. Just one script, as if we were writing for the actual show, should be adequate. From there, we can turn it into whatever finished product we want. I wasn’t going to bother with a subtitle file if DeepHurting is producing a full video with MST 3000 overlay, but if it was going to take a long time, I would consider it.

The important point is, let’s get the discussion going. If you want to create a column for discussion, or add comments to column C, go ahead. We can erase column D and use it for discussion. (DH, go right ahead if you get to it before me.)

After we’ve done all we can in the spreadsheet, we can start chats like this for targeted problem areas, or maybe even have a Zoom call. With a low number of participants, I think most decisions can be made by one guy with an idea, and another guy agreeing.

I’ve cleaned up sheet 1 and highlighted anything we need to discuss in orange background (column C). If we’ve got two directors in agreement, we can push ahead in that direction, for speed. After the lines are selected, we can finalize the speakers, and then hopefully someone can start producing the first one-eighth.

I’m neck-deep in other projects right now (building cow skulls, cat mummies, bubble-wrap aliens, and a “hologram” for a funeral) but I should have a little more time to hop back on and review the remaining tabs after this weekend.

If everybody else who wants to weigh in on tab 1A could do so over the next week or so, I think we’re close enough to agreement on that tab that I can put together a proof of concept demo with silhouette loops over the weekend before Christmas.

1 Like

No pressure, but that would be so exciting!

My family decided to bump our annual holiday festivities forward to the weekend before Christmas rather than after, so I won’t be able work on the proof of concept demo next week as planned. But that means I’m now no longer traveling anywhere for New Years, and should be able to start work on it that weekend instead.

So, please keep on reviewing and hopefully I’ll be able to get something put together for segment 1A before (or very early into) 2022.

1 Like

Ho-Ho-Ho, Meeeeeerry Christmas!

I’m back in town and have had a few days to start work on a production test.

Wait, what sort of production test are you talking about?
Well, while we’re finishing up our script for The Incredible Petrified World, I’ve decided to branch off and riff a 10 minute short on my own, the 1954 classic Tomorrow’s Drivers, in which Jimmy Stewart espouses the importance of teaching drivers education to 6-year-olds. This 10 minute short will use the same techniques I intend to use on our group production.

Everything is designed in blocks and layers, so it should be relatively easy to strip individual layers out (like the riff captions) or add new layers in (like our own voice acting, theater silhouettes or door sequence.)

So, first thing’s first… Since I’m mainly using recycled silhouette animation taken from the end credits of the MST3K Movie (since it was in HD and filmed against a solid background) I had to clean up the brief sequence when the characters are sitting down and Mike’s head gets covered up by an on-screen credit for a couple of seconds.
I figured out how to export just those affected frames as a PNG sequence that could then be cleaned up manually in Photoshop, and re-imported back into Premiere as video again. (Luckily it only turned out to be about 24 frames)

You’ll notice I also very slightly adjusted the seat height so that two rows of bold Tahoma text fit snuggly below the seat corners, and are very easy to read. The text also has a solid black stroke border, so it’s still quite legible even if I have to go up to three lines and overlap the top edge of the seats.

I use the same frame export technique to take the existing opening and closing door sequence from an existing MST3K episode and key out everything between the two halves of the final doors as solid white, meaning that I could then use lumakey to make the white part invisible, so we can actually see the doors open and the beginning of the movie playing while the host and bots are taking their seats. This process actually required four different lumakey sequences layered on top of each other in the order of: movie layer > theater seats layer > host animation layer > door mask layer.

It was a lot of work, but I have to admit the final results are pretty nice!

I ended up using the Netflix door sequence for my demo because it was the only one in HD and wide screen that fit the same 1920 x 1080 aspect ratio. If we do eventually end up shooting our own door sequence, it’ll need to be done widescreen at 1920 x 1080 as well, otherwise there will be obvious black bars on the sides or we’ll end up cutting off the top and bottom edge of the frame.

Next, I decided to try my hand at replacement masking.

Since Crow’s the only riffer we can always clearly see speaking. I decided not to do separate individual layers for each character since that was overly complicated and mostly unnecessary for Tom and Host lines where they aren’t turning sideways to hold a conversation or look at something specific up on the screen.

Instead I created a baseline “just sitting around” sequence taken from the 3 minutes of footage I had from the end of the MST3K Movie where I removed all the bits where Crow or the other guys are visibly speaking and boiled it down to approximately a solid minute of continuous footage of the guys watching the movie while occasionally shifting around in their seats. They shift around in their seats a lot more in this sequence than they normally would in the theater, so I ended up dropping the speed down to about 75% so they move a little bit slower and aren’t constantly bobbing back and forth (though if I speed the clip up by the same amount, the bobbing gets really noticeable and it look like they’re bopping along to music.)

A minute of theater footage doesn’t seem like much, but it’s more than enough for my needs, and the shadowrama is extremely forgiving when it comes to disguising cuts between sequences or reversing the direction of the film, as long as the shadows are mostly in the same starting and ending position.

I then took all the clips I cut out of the “just sitting around” loop and split them off into different sub-animation sequences like “Crow Talks Animately” “Mike Talks to Tom” “Short Crow Line” etc. so I can reinsert these sequences back in when the silhouettes need to respond in a specific way.
For Crow, I usually end up having to insert one of three clips of him speaking, mask out just his seat, and then create an inverse mask the same shape on my “just sitting around footage” so that his animation is separate from the other two characters and I don’t end up having to try to line up all three silhouettes at once, which is almost impossible to do cleanly.

Right then… So that’s the base animation sorted. What about filming new in-theater gags that weren’t part of the original clip sequence like lifting up the opening titles, yelling at Crow, or waving at a passing ship?

Well, in this particular short, there’s a bit where one of the kids gets rear-ended, and while there’s no dialogue, the mouth movement sure looks like he turns around and furiously drops a big ol’ f-bomb on the other driver. Obviously, this being MST3K, we have to keep it PG-13, so as a visual gag, I have the host reach out and cover up Tom’s mouth, cutting off the end of the swear line, which is a motion that (to my knowledge) has never been done in the theater before.

To do this, I filmed myself standing in front of my closet doors (the only large white surface I have available) and then took the footage and upped the gamma settings to try to make the white background as white and washed out as possible. Unfortunately, I myself am about as white and washed out as a guy can get, so even though I was able to use this footage to create a custom lumakey silhouette, certain parts of my face and hand showed through as white. That meant that for this particular bit, I had to go in and manually edit those 150 frames to make them solid and remove some of the rougher edges and shadows around the crack between the doors. That’s a lot of work for a bit that’s only on screen for a couple of seconds. (Next time I may try tacking up a solid white bed sheet and standing a little further back to try to reduce surface shadows)

While it mostly worked, the end results are far from perfect.
I wasn’t wearing my jumpsuit for this practice test, but I’m wider around and broader in the shoulders than Mike, and wasn’t in the exact same starting position, so while I did my best to line everything up as closely as I could, there’s no way to make it match perfectly and it’s pretty obvious when you’re watching the silhouettes closely that the host is abruptly replaced by an entirely different person for the space of about 3 seconds.

I did film a few other sequences at the same time using myself as a stand-in, including doing the title lift, waving at the ship, and yelling at Crow, but we’re going to want to use these sorts of clips sparingly since I suspect they’re always going to look kind of crappy.
The only one that turned out fairly well is the new host pointing gesture, and that’s only because I was able to chop off the head and mask out everything to the right of the shoulder and stick it under the existing silhouette layer so the arm goes up without the rest of the body having to move or shift positions.

After three days work, I’ve got the first 2 minutes of my 11 minute example short in the can, but now that I’ve worked out most of the complicated technical stuff, I hope the rest of the production will go faster. One way or another, I plan to release an official tech demo to show off what it looks like before New Years.

I am curious to see how people feel about the timing of the subtitles, since I’m trying to leave them up on screen only a tiny bit longer than it would take to actually speak the lines. The speed seems fine to me, but since I wrote the lines, I may also be reading them faster than someone who’s coming into them completely fresh.

I also haven’t tried watching this thing on a full-sized TV. While the animation joins look okay on the small test window, at a larger scale, they may be more obvious. But ironing this stuff out is the reason I wanted to do a tech demo to begin with.

3 Likes

Well, I said before New Years, but I guess on New Years isn’t too far off target.
Here it is, a finished production test with all the in-theater elements put together:

I just watched the finished version on a moderately-sized TV, and it looks pretty good, aside from one moment where the host sprouts two heads (because I must have forgotten to add in the second mask when Crow’s speaking) and a few noticeable skips when the animation loops don’t quite line up perfectly. Actually, in terms of production quality, the silhouettes are way cleaner and easier to see than the source film.

Before I use the same techniques on our production of The Incredible Petrified World, I do want to go back and redo the “idle” theater loop to create a longer smoother version without visible skips where everybody is more or less just sitting eyes-forward toward the screen, and not pivoting their heads or bobbing around all over the place… once I can get about a minute of minimal movement, I’ll turn that sequence into a solid 15 minute loop of the guys silently watching the movie so I don’t have to keep reversing and un-reversing the same 1 minute clip over and over again.

I also need to edit my talking loops to give them a clearer and more uniform start/end point that closely matches the position of the idle animation, then eliminate everything other than the talking character and their seat. If I do that, it means I can eliminate one mask entirely, and the other is simply a case of cutting out a chunk of the idle animation the same length as the talking animation, then adding an inverse mask over the top of “idle Crow” or whoever’s supposed to be moving to filter him out and let the talking version do his thing so there aren’t two overlapping silhouettes up on screen simultaneously.

It would also save time if I broke down and created some extended talking loops based on the number of syllables being spoken, since I did a lot of manual flip-flopping forward/reverse looping when Crow had something longer or shorter to say, and if I had those loops ready to go at the beginning of the project, I wouldn’t have to waste time recreating them on the fly (not unless somebody decides to pause or talk… like… William Shatner.)

It took about 10 days of work to produce this 10 minute short, but a good chunk of that was writing (and rewriting) gags, and trying to make all the animation loops line up. But I’m reasonably certain that if I can clean up my idle loops, and reshoot some of the “special action” loops with a bit more forethought (next time I’ll wear my jumpsuit, put on some black gloves as well as some… uh… “blackface” to make myself less pale and create a cleaner dark silhouette outline for the lumakey to focus in on while standing in front of a white sheet.) That should reduce the time I have to spend editing those clips frame by frame to edit out white spots or shadows, while giving us a resources library that we can use on this production plus any others we do in the future.

Current Production Thoughts

I think the current subtitle effects work pretty well. While it varies depending on the length of the words, you can fit about 32-36 words on a single caption frame and still have it be legible.

I adopted using italics as a kind of visual shorthand any time one of the riffers is talking in a voice other than their normal speaking voice (so either doing an impression, yelling, sobbing, etc.) which I think works rather well.

I’ve also added music notes to the italics any time a character is meant to be singing. Which saves at least a couple of characters and is similar to what they do in closed captioning on TV.

I’m going to try re-recording and replacing Mike’s idle animation with my own silhouette when I reshoot the action animations to see if it’ll match up any cleaner… Though whether or not I end up using it depends on if there’s a way to merge it with the existing sitting down/standing up animations so that the joins are a little less obvious.

I’ll have to test everything out before I’ll know for sure, but I think I can accomplish just about all of the in-theater stuff we want to do… provided it doesn’t require precise accuracy or timing.

I won’t be able to see how my silhouette appears live on the screen (or in frame on my iPhone) until I import it into Adobe Premiere, so all movements will be approximate at best. Waving to the ship, pointing at the screen, and other generic hand gesture movements should be okay. I’ll also record the lifting the cue card gag, since I’ve got several large sheets of black foamcore handy, but I can pretty much guarantee there’s no way I’m going to be able to do it fast enough to fit the time frame in which the gag would have to work. (But it might be something to keep in mind for future riffs)

Lifting the opening title is going to be iffy, because I don’t know exactly where my hands will line up in reference to the underside or how fast it’ll be moving on screen, but I might be able to flub things slightly by shooting a couple of different versions at varying heights, trying to keep my own actions as slow as possible to maximize the number of frames I have to work with, then speeding up/slowing down the frame rate to try to see if I can get lucky and make one version line up with the movie.

I will try attaching my Tom Servo figure to a white rod, and seeing if I can get a close enough match to the existing Servo silhouette to make him fly up and “float” on the waves, but given that his head is clear, and I’m not willing to spray paint it, I don’t know how good it’ll look. We may have to skip that gag if it looks too crappy. I’m also going to try to record a few bits of him dancing, doing his little peppy bounce action, and turning to flee out of the theater. I think we had a Crow gag that used that setup, but if I can get a functional animation for Tom, we may be able to keep it as long as we switch which bot says the line.

Let me know how the timing on the riffs looks to you guys. I more or less just eyeballed it, but I tried speaking the lines myself and then very slightly extending the length of time they’re up on screen about a second longer, which seems to be working.

For bits that were specifically timed to certain on-screen cues, I actually ended up bringing the riff subtitle forward by maybe a quarter of a second, because it takes that extra moment for your eye to register the text and jump down and read it. I’ve watched this stupid short over and over again, but for some reason, bumping it forward in this way does seem to make the timing match better in my brain, and I think it’ll also be helpful if somebody is going off the on-screen cues to record a dialogue track.

I noticed that when riffing the credits, it was much harder for my brain to parse the credit-based riffs, since I had to read what was on screen, read the riff text, re-read what was on screen, and possibly re-read the riff text again in order to unpack the joke, so I ended up leaving those jokes up on screen a lot longer than it would have taken someone to actually speak them. It may be easier going for Petrified World since those credits aren’t scrolling and stick around for a really long time, but something to keep in mind for any caption-based riff that requires you to be reading or closely watching the actions of someone/something on screen and reading the text riff at the same time… it’s going to take longer than you think it would under normal circumstances.

Future Production Thoughts

If we do end up shooting a live action version (either with humans or puppets only) I recommend that whatever characters we adopt, we continue using them moving forward, and shoot the same sort of “idle” and “action” footage in front of a white or green screen so that even if the actors/puppeteers decide to shoot the entire theater segments themselves (which will be a lot more animated), we still have something to use for putting together rough cuts or future programs using the loop method if the same group of people aren’t available for the next project.

With the right set of building blocks, it’s no more difficult doing this for “Tom” “Host” and “Crow” that it would be for “Poppy” “Buster” and “Avey,” or whoever we go with. (Actually, it would be significantly easier if none of the characters had mouths that were visible in silhouette form so we didn’t have to worry about being precise when it came to syncing up dialogue to movement)

2 Likes

And a meeeerry New Year!

That is very impressive. My wife and I enjoyed watching this last night (it was too late for me to reply right away), and it has a really authentic feel to it, like some lost clip with missing audio. I wish you much unemployment so you have time to do more.

The transition to the mystery science theatre is gorgeous - totally worth the effort. And jacking up the silhouette for a black backdrop for the subtitles is a good idea. Are you overlapping more of the film, or extending below the film?

Since you ask, the timing was too fast for me, overall. I speak the lines in my head, and found that playing the video at 0.75 speed let me still do that. The exceptions were the “Jenkins” riff, and the first “pull up to number 4” riff, which need to be much longer. I’d suggest 33-50% increase in on-screen time overall, and 100% increase for those two exceptions. (Not expecting you to change this tech demo, I’m just mentioning for TIPW.)

Current subtitles do work well. I think a lot of your concerns can be answered by established subtitling guidelines. I used the BBC’s guidelines; you might find something more local, but hey, reading is reading, regardless of country.

Besides the speed, I had these problems:

• You use the full width of the screen, making the eyes travel a great distance. You should limit it to 80% of the width, in the middle of the screen; 50% is preferable.
  • There is no problem breaking up paragraphs to show 1 or 2 sentences at a time. They are easier to consume at a glance. That “meat grinder” example would be just fine split in two.
  • When there is too much dialogue for the subtitles, it’s okay (even necessary) to trim and condense it. (Since you’re also the writer, it may feel like a re-write, or butchering your own work, but keep the original in case it gets a voice!)
  • The final “Dun-Dun” riff has an additional line appear on top of it. That breaks the left-to-right and top-to-bottom flow, and causes the first line to be read twice. “Dun-Dun” should be up high since it appears first.

I’m personally not concerned with the subtitles + credits causing too much reading. I don’t read the credits anyhow. :crazy_face: But the riffs still make sense. I don’t think we should be embracing the limitations of subtitles during the writing process - it’s the job of subtitling to deal with it in the best way possible, though that might include paraphrasing.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback on this. It’s helpful, but also kind of disheartening since it brings up some issues that I was afraid might turn out problematic as soon as we started trying to put things together into an actual finished production.

Unfortunately, on this particular short, the aspect ratio was practically square, so I had to overlap way more of the film with the seat silhouettes than I would have liked in order to keep Crow visible on the right-hand side of the screen. (I would have cheated and zoomed in closer with them one more seat closer to the center, but that would have messed up my loops, and I wanted to retain the same format I intend to use on TIPW.) If we do shorts in the future, we may need to create an entirely separate set of theater silhouettes closer to the ones used during the original Comedy Central era where there are only about 6 seats visible on screen, but the guys themselves occupy a lot more vertical space.

The good news is, with a widescreen print like Petrified World, it shouldn’t be an issue since I’ll be aligning it so that the base of the movie lines up exactly with the lowest dip between the seat cushions, which means as much of the movie will be visible as possible without shrinking the silhouettes and adding more seats.

Okay, this is very important feedback, because, as I suspected, it’s going to impact what we’re doing with TIPW. Anyone else want to weight in on timing? It’d be nice to have a larger sample size.

Most of my riffs and captions are on screen a little more than 3 seconds (say 3.25 just for an easy fraction) which is usually composed of the 3 seconds it took me to speak the line plus an extra 0.25 of “buffer space” I tacked on for reading. If we need to increase the on-screen buffer space duration by 33% to 50% so people have more time to read it, that means any line that takes about 3 seconds to say, would ideally require between 4.32 and 4.5 seconds of on screen time for people to parse it.

So, doing the math, it basically boils down to:

Any riff caption needs to be on screen roughly 1.5 times the length of time it takes to actually speak it.

This sucks, for reasons I’ll go into shortly, but we’re better off knowing it now than before we go into production and I have to lay down 800 of these.

Sorry, do you remember which one was the Jenkins riff? I’m looking back and completely blanking on which one you’re referring to.

You did single out the “pull ahead on 4” riff as being problematic, which is interesting, because that one was the most problematic to try to time and the one and only instance where I attempted to split up what would have been a 4-line riff across multiple back-to back captions, because had I just put them all up on screen at once, the text captions would have preempted the trigger for the joke by approximately 5 seconds.

Which I think demonstrates one of the big problems we’re going to have with any of the longer mini-skit or rambling riffs, especially anything like the “conductor skit” during the opening titles which potentially names names and references actions that aren’t even on screen yet.

Here’s how this particular scene (which occurs at the 7 minute mark and only lasts about 6 seconds for anyone who wants to take a closer look) breaks down time-wise:

The first two sentences of the riff are on screen for 2.12 seconds. And that line takes about 3.04 seconds to say out loud, so I definitely short-changed it and the two subsequent lines, but I was trying to match the pacing of the sequence and not preempt the trigger event of her pulling away, which occurs about 2.12 seconds later, and the third trigger of the next driver pulling forward.

As an aside, you’ll notice I put small gaps between each caption. These are deliberate and I found out we absolutely need to have them because slamming right into the next caption doesn’t work. Even if it’s another color.
The instant transition is jarring and causes your brain to have a brief “whoa, where am I?” moment, like somebody bumped you mid-sentence while reading a book, and it actually takes you longer to reset and read the next line, because you’re looking around trying to reorient yourself, than it does taking the extra 0.15 seconds to insert a “off” gap, which cues our eyes/brain that the first caption has ended and we’ve moved on to something else.

Just going by what “feels right” I found that about 0.15 seconds is about the shortest gap I can get away with, which maybe not coincidentally is about the length of the average human blink.

But you can see right away that we instantly get ourselves into a log-jam the moment we start trying to apply buffer time to a two or three part riff.

So the array of bad choices are:

• Preempt the joke and partially cover up Tom by putting the entire gag up on screen at once before the trigger occurs, which totally messes with the comedic timing, likely ruining the joke.

• Short change the screen time for the caption(s), and assume that at least part of the audience is going to miss that particular joke because they didn’t finish reading it.

• Edit the joke to be shorter (Which is what I believe we’re going to have to do a lot of to make our TIPW script work)

• Kill the long joke entirely and write a new gag that fits on a single caption screen. Which in the case of TIPW, means we either start suggesting alternative/rephrased riffs ourselves, or resign ourselves to throwing the script back out to the group for a 2nd draft, saying, these are the beats where we need new gags and you need to keep your riff to under 3 seconds or approximately 32-36 words.

Thinking back on the writing of this, I did end up sacrificing a lot of longer riffs and substituting shorter ones because they just didn’t fit the 3 second rule and breaking them up over two captions would have killed the momentum or created other timing issues.
Which is a shame, because I had a bunch of stuff I really liked that ended up getting the chop including a whole Fury Road bit, a Trader Joe’s parking lot gag, references to Sammy Hagar, Isadora Duncan, Oakland sideshows, O.J. Simpson, Whitney Houston, Thelma and Louise, Albert Camus, Ernie Kovacs, plus almost every instance where I tried to work in some sort of Jimmy Stewart film reference.

Because of the aspect ration of the short, it occupies a lot less horizontal space. I deliberately set the text alignment to use approximately 75% of the total screen space. I don’t really know if I could get away with reducing that further, because we’re already running into space issues.

The alternative would be to potentially try reducing the overall font size, but I’m hesitant to do that. It may work for TV viewing, but viewing on an iPhone or tablet, the text is already pretty small. When I do the 1A test for TIPW, I can possibly create two short alternate versions of just the first couple of minutes reducing the font size by maybe 10% and see if that becomes too much of an eyestrain for people to handle. (I know my eyes aren’t what they used to be, but I can read the current font size fairly well, even on an iPhone)

I think there will be when we you factor in additional buffering time for each caption. But it depends on the timing and nature of the joke, how long the scene lasts, and where the gag trigger(s) are.

The meat grinder gag might work if I split off either the first or third line off onto it’s own caption because they linger on that shot longer than they do most others, but I’d probably still have to short change the 1.5x buffering time on the first caption because as soon as you’ve moved on to the next scene, it becomes confusing that Crow just started talking about ground chuck and the guys are making sick noises when the film has moved on to a shot of a smiling girl pulling two cars on pieces of string.

This short is tightly edited, which necessitated keeping nearly every riff to under 3 seconds and a single on-screen caption. We might have a little more leeway with TIPW because it’s slower… but only a little, and only in certain places.

Due to the discrepancy in timing, we may find that our caption and a potential later voice acting “cue” scripts need to be entirely different, and the caption version has to be majorly trimmed and pared down for timing.

Or we just flat out accept that it’ll be like watching closed captioned CNN in the airport and the words you’re seeing on screen are just there to signify what was said, not what is being said, and you shouldn’t expect anywhere near the same experience as if you were watching it with sound because they captions are still talking about the tragic orphanage fire, while the images you’re seeing on screen have already moved on to the weather.

Since I wrote the jokes in this example and have read those captions dozens of times over, I’m probably working from more of a “cue” perspective, so the 0.25 second buffer time seems perfectly fine for me, as it hopefully would for any voice actor who’ve read through it a couple of times before and are mainly using the captions as a cue to hit their marks.

I’ll try to wade in to the message discussions on individual riffs tomorrow, but wanted to get this out here before I went to bed, since I think it impacts the discussion.

I agree with MyWy on the timing thing. The most difficult aspect for me was trying to keep up with what was happening in the film while simultaneously trying to read the caption. And if you’re busy reading the caption and you miss the next bit the following caption riff is riffing on, it’s very difficult to recover.

I tend to agree with you that we’ll really need to parse down the number of riffs. If the average episode has 800, we might need to be closer to 400 with a solid break between them all. This wouldn’t be very difficult in the final 6 sections or so, but the first 2-3 will need to be gone through very, very thoroughly. My worry is that most of the issues won’t be known until it is being put together. If we shoot for 400 riffs, that’s essentially one caption every 10 seconds. Gives you time to read it, clock the reference, and reorient yourself back in the film.

1 Like

I hope it’s not disheartening; this is what a production test is for! I think you made your test very difficult because of the amount of riffing - I feel it’s very dense, and overlaps much of Jimmy’s dialogue, like a riffing machine gun. TIPW is going to be MUCH easier, with it’s long gaps.

“Thank you, please pull ahead on 4. Can I interest you in a complimentary Texaco tour guide map?” takes me 4.5 seconds to read in Crow’s voice. BBC guidelines estimate 0.3 s per word (x17), or 5.1 seconds. Long words (complimentary) and strange words (names, like Texaco, or anything in all-caps) are a double-word score (0.6 s). (It doesn’t say it in the guide, but I skip short conjunctions and determinants.)

Not only that, but you have to give time to read the cues. "(As teen gas attendant) is another 1.2 seconds. “CROW” is 0.6.

You’re up to 6.3 seconds. You want to trim it to about 3.2 seconds. Let’s do it.

Ditch the direction = 1.2 s. If it’s too important to the joke, shorten: “(VOICE CRACKS)”. Still 1.2 s because of all-caps, used to indicate non-verbals.

Introduce the character once = 0.6 s. You can rely on the colour coding, and only introduce the characters once, at the beginning.

Trim unnecessary words = 1.5 s.

Remove the gap = 0.14 s. Guidelines state that changing text is enough of an indicator.

"Please pull ahead on four.
“Can I interest you in a Texaco tour guide?” = 3.9 s

I’d save the remaining time in the next lines:

"Maybe next time.
“Please pull ahead on four…” = 2.1 s, for a total of 6 seconds.

It works find for me, and the guidelines don’t call for it. I think you’ll find it’s more effective with smaller groups of text.

Alright, let’s do a quick test of the proposed subtitles for the first eighth as-is, and see if it’s too much. I’m starting some time off tomorrow, so I’m sure I can throw something together in short order. What we learn can be applied to the whole script.