Season 0-10 Video Clean Up?

I hear that Elon Musk is just pittering away $11,000,000,000 by paying his taxes this year. Let’s find out if he’s got any spare dough for “philanthropic” endeavors.

1 Like

While I often buy the highest quality releases of movies I love (even if I already own a lower definition version already), I’m basically on the side of folks who believe these should be left as-is. If it’s possible to actually clean up the source tapes (correcting for drift and fringing and noise artifacts), that’s fine. But I don’t think the movies themselves need swapping out for higher def. It’s part of the charm of the show that it looks and feels like cable access fare.

2 Likes

What was that episode with the difficult-to-read credits, like the colors clashed? The riff was something along the lines of… “And starring the glaucoma players” - which was a hoot back when you watched it on the old, low-def TV. But when you play your disc on a new HD TV, suddenly the credits were pretty easy to make out, and it killed the joke.

Keep them as is. But if you want to fix something, and if the tech is available to do it, fix the damned tape hits that have marred several releases - those bits that aren’t part of the movie - damage that wasn’t seen on the original broadcasts to the episode, but popped up on the DVDs (Lost Continent, Yucca Flats, The Dead Talk Back, to name 3)

2 Likes

It was Wild Rebels.

1 Like

This is why I lean towards “no.” The video quality plays into some of the humor and stands as a time capsule of what Team MST3K had to work with. Let the episodes stand as they originally aired.

2 Likes

What he said.

If something was difficult to visually identify in an MST3K episode, then giving it the high-definition treatment would do a lot to take away from the humor.

1 Like

Is it wrong that I like the trashy prints from Season 0? Just something pure guerrilla about it…

4 Likes

ShoutfactoryTV has a section for VHS versions of movies they have already in other sections.

2 Likes

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that! My thought experiment here is more a matter of gauging interest and seeing people’s reactions.

As I say, more geared toward following the show’s current philosophy that the film prints have to meet certain criteria to be included.

1 Like