Whats the best Doctor Who Season to start with for new comers?

Absolutely agree. McCoy’s last two seasons were really good and fun to watch. I never had much patience for the screamers. Give me a Jamie, or a Sarah Jane, or an Ace, over Victoria, Mel, or Peri any day.

2 Likes

Also, it’s hard not to like a companion who beats up a Dalek with a baseball bat. :smiley:

3 Likes

I personally despised that scene. Yeah I know, blah blah blah Hand of Rassilon. But as far as I was concerned, it was a slap in the face, as if to deliberately rub in how cheap the show was. Only thing worse was Cybermen being taken out with a slingshot and loose change.

2 Likes

It’s hard to understate the impact of that Dalek floating up the stairs when Remembrance Of The Daleks first aired. At that point all certainties were abandoned, down became up, dogs and cats living together etc.

Of course now Daleks fly about all over the shop. In my day you got ONE floating Dalek and a satsuma at Christmas and we were perfectly happy, thank you very much.

3 Likes

NGL, had a serious crush on Ace.

Also, Remembrance has the Special Weapon Dalek, which is just awesome.

1 Like

I always saw it more as “Daleks are so tough that even a God Weapon will break fairly quickly”, and “Ace is too brave to not try and fight the God-Killer anyway”

1 Like

I usually start people on the Eleventh Doctor since it’s a fairly soft reboot. It’s a nice jumping on point and a pretty snappy episode.

3 Likes

As someone who got to wear TB’s scarf, my loyalties are pretty firm. There are great arcs with the Third and Fourth (and hey Douglas Adams wrote for TB, so…)… but if the era, pacing, fx etc isn’t quite your thing, I think you have to go with Chris Ecclestone’s season. Then, if he is your cuppa as The Wife would say, then head over to Big Finish Audio (well, I think all Who fans should be getting a number of their stories). He’s done and now continuing a fantastic (ha ahem) audio range with them.

If you develop more than a passing interest in any DW media, hit up Time Scales. I find their rating averages to be pretty spot-on.

Oh cripes sorry, would help if I mentioned a story or two…

Third - Day of the Daleks, The Silurians, The Sea Devils (and well any time he could go up against the Master really…)
Fourth - Genesis of the Daleks, Ark in Space (story seed for Alien), City of Death (written by Douglas Adams)

2 Likes