1104. Avalanche (1978)

Ava-lunch!

3 Likes

Rock Hudson!
rock family GIF

5 Likes

I was surprised at how much I liked this episode, but it was a blast. They really hit all the angles on it and it was a lot of fun to watch.

“My jacket turns into a badger at midnight. Want to watch?”

“So… this is where the avalanche is going to go.”

“By the sound of this music, the check-in process is gonna be brutal.”

8 Likes

Avalanche is my favorite of the Netflix bunch! So consistently funny!

Also has one of my all-time favorite stingers: That reckless police car!

“Dear Trip Advisor…” is a fantastic way to close out the experiment. :smiley:

8 Likes

it was my first favorite from The Return but not the last.

3 Likes

Suck iiiit!

1 Like

Hybrid B Movies.

6 Likes

My husband is only an “okay I’ll watch since you’re watching” MST3K viewer, but he laughed so hard at this list I though I’d have to call 9-1-1.

Wooly Clammoth! :mammoth:

7 Likes

Trailer.

1 Like

Did this movie have Rock Hudson and Mia Farrow in it? I wasn’t sure because they only said it twice.

3 Likes

@optiMSTie Your read on the Neil Patrick Harris cameo?

4 Likes

I dig it well enough. It’s a fun song, both NPH and Felicia Day are game for it, AND it furthers the overall storyline.

Plus, NPH has been a MSTie forever (I remember him offering up commentary in the This is MST3K documentary special), so I’ll allow it on general principle.

6 Likes

And the episode? I’m curious to your thoughts.

3 Likes

LOVED IT.

Here’s why: it’s the perfect kind of movie for MST3K - the disaster film.

We haven’t seen too many out-and-out disaster films on MST3K, but they work so well for the gang because they offer up that one thing that’s crucial for the MST3K treatment: stuff happening in a movie. The more a movie throws at the riffers, the more they can throw right back.

Also, Robert Forster’s been one of my favorite actors, so to see him here in MST3K? Ridiculously awesome.

But there’s lots of great stuff going on here: Zombie Tony Danza, that Red Stripe beer commercial riff, those scary-as-hell desserts, stuff NOT being up to code, random disastrous events happening that had nothing to do with the avalanche, that overhead line sequence with the Wilhelm Scream (that was really the Howie Long scream), the ice-skating commentary…

… and Servo’s god-tier “Mornings with Pulley and Cable” riff.

Very fun installment!

12 Likes

“We want to be big he-man womanizers like Rock Hudson!”
“Oh, you guys don’t want to be like Rock Hudson…”
“Why not?”
“Look how he treats Mia Farrow!”

7 Likes

All of this. I don’t know what other disaster movies they might be able to get the rights to but I’d love to see them do more.

6 Likes

If they could get the rights, just from a quick check:

6 Likes

Can’t we just get BEYOND the Poseidon Adventure? :smiley:

[studio laughter and applause]

5 Likes

I really hate Mia Farrow. I don’t know what it is about her, but she rubs me the wrong way. So I enjoyed people making fun of her.

5 Likes

Is it that she’s soooo wispy? Like she’s going to crumble into tears at any moment regardless of the context?

Is it an odor?

9 Likes