1113. The Christmas That Almost Wasn't (1966)

LOL!!! You’d amazed the number of people who are unaware of dubbing until you point it out. It boggles the imagination. Likewise much of the backstory and context of how movies were made.

5 Likes

There are times I’ve seen a particular actor and I’m 100% sure that they were dubbed even if no one else in the film was. Only to find zero evidence of that later. So I realized that really they were just super-stilted and exaggerated in the way they moved their lips or jaw. :open_mouth:

2 Likes

And ever so often, I’ll listen to a commentary track and a story is shared where a line or two had to be redone in Post-Production and I in my heart knew this by hearing it long before. You grow accustomed to certain properties in what you pay attention to. Occasionally one’s instincts are right.

2 Likes

My favorite Jonah riff EVER is when the reformed villain starts singing to someone on the street, “Why does Christmas come just once a year?”

Jonah gives this great, panicked, “I don’t KNOW!” that cracks me up every single time.

6 Likes

I enjoy it enough that it’s become a part of my Christmas viewing traditions along with the other two MST3K Christmas episodes.

Also, I love the hell out of this episode for giving us an “Omar comin’!” reference.

9 Likes

Lost Horizon (1973) is in the conversation. Born out of the partnership of Burt Bacharach and Hal David, the songs stunning as they are in potential leave a lot to be desired in execution.

1 Like

Doctor Dolittle (1967) scores high in the unusual score charts. When I Look Into Your Eyes by Leslie Bricusse. Rex Harrison sings to a seal.

1 Like

Jonah can really sell panic and fear. I’d love to see him in other genres. As long as he keeps making MST3k

5 Likes

Of course, we can’t forget about one thing:

Joel Hodgson as Santa Claus? That’s just good casting.

8 Likes

What would be your favorite of S11, if you don’t mind my asking?

5 Likes

The Beast Of Hollow Mountain. No question about it.

5 Likes

Nice! :smiley:

5 Likes

My only gripe about the episode is that I think they go with the “I’m a widdle baby” riffs a bit too often.

On the other side, those sound-based riffs (gifts breaking, etc.) as Santa’s sleigh gets loaded up? A+

6 Likes

I’ve just tried to embrace that as part of the overall surreal tone of the thing. They saw the same weird aura around the guy that I did, but they interpreted it differently.

4 Likes

They absolutely nailed the observation of Danny Kaye vibes, though, because damn.

5 Likes

Danny Kaye if he lived on just Postum and warm milk, yeah.

3 Likes

And, for these reasons alone, this movie is an absolute gift.
We adore it.

3 Likes

Unfortunately I don’t get a chance to say “prune” enough in my life. If I did, I would always pronounce it exactly as this guy does in the song.

2 Likes

Properly enunciated naturally. :sunglasses:

3 Likes

It’s sort of like a 10th-generation photocopy of a Marx Brothers song. :confused:

1 Like