1204. The Day Time Ended (1980)

As with Tom Servo regarding Once Upon a Honeymoon, my reaction to the movie was “What the hell was that about?” It’s as if several writers were given the same broad synopsis and their separate products were mashed together by a demented AI. Certainly, I’m hard-pressed to figure out how the supernova connects with the streaking pixie or the flying Betamax or the glowing obelisk or the claymation monsters or anything else. My best guess is that it’s intended to be a science fiction reimagining of Armageddon. If you can think of something better, I’d be interested to know.

Host segments are reasonably competent, with the song “Concepts” being a real showstopper of a number that is easily the best song of the season. I’m also betting Professor Harold Servo had later visited Terrence Dudley when he was writing the Doctor Who serial “Four to Doomsday”.

1 Like

No such thing.

2 Likes

You’re probably right. :laughing:

1 Like

It was cheesy, but yeah, the plot was there. Watch it again and get back to me! :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Apropos of nothing, Kinga looks adorable with that tiny boater.

4 Likes

This film has one thing I really despise: a character that basically says, “I don’t know how I know this, but I just ‘’know this.’”

One of the laziest things a writer can do is just give a character information without any “why” to it.

4 Likes

“That window is like catnip to this family” - Jonah

I liked this on a first viewing and have come to enjoy it more with re-watches.

I dug the movie… liked seeing time and space come undone, bringing with it all these weird realities and creatures. Fun and freaky - Plus, there’s an Oscar winning actress in the cast.

hqdefault

There are laugh lulls with the riffing (mostly the predicable sci-fi reference stuff), but when the jokes land, they often land in a flurry and leave me breathless (and the movie keeps me entertained, so I’m never bored with it)

Plus, there’s Concepts, plus there’s Erhardt, plus there’s spray on mustard gas (“AHHH my eyes, it’s too zesty!”), plus there’s are several art quips that hit the spot for this former college art student.

4 Likes

You must have despised The Bubble. That’s basically the whole movie.

4 Likes

I have a theory about The Bubble.

4 Likes

Go on…

3 Likes

Unfortunately voicing any theory about The Bubble causes it to turn into something even more inexplicable. For the safety of the universe I must forever keep it secret!

3 Likes

Pff. You’re no Mark, I can tell you that.

1 Like

This movie is such a slog.

3 Likes

Said it before and it’ll come up again, but Hampton’s Crow shines in this episode

3 Likes

I had a rough week at work, I am way more than medically high, and lolol this movie.

7 Likes

Warning

Someone on Twitter does not believe in the power of steak milk

3 Likes

I would have given them the finger and demanded the milk be put in a martini glass.

4 Likes

Whatever it takes for people to see the genius of this episode

4 Likes

Who did the Grandpa voice better?

• Jonah: “Sorry Mama, I think I flattened your waffles.”
  • Servo: “Well that’s well and good, but it’s time to stop and give glory to the newborn king. You got that myrrh, Babe?”
  • Crow: “Crap, I’m meeting my maker in a Members Only jacket. What was I thinking?”

0 voters

1 Like