1st time watching the Netflix stuff🤔

I enjoyed the Netflix seasons, but the host segments often felt rushed, like they were trying to squeeze the segment into a tight time frame.

4 Likes

I’ve had S11 on as background noise the last few days and I have to say that I dang near lost my drink, yesterday morning, when Jonah said “This is where the fish live” during The Beast of Hollow Mountain. I’ve seen it three times and that was the first time I caught his comment. :rofl:

8 Likes

The pacing seems to be something lots of folks notice, but I’m a fan. It probably helped that I hadn’t been watching a lot of MST3K before the return, so it probably wasn’t as noticeable. But I think it was great off the bat; you’ll get used to the pacing and rewatching will be pure gold. (Though Atlantic Rim is such an aggressively bad movie that it’s a tough watch for me…)

7 Likes

I agree about the rewatchability, sometimes I wish they would let us up for air but I do notice new jokes almost every time I watch it.

5 Likes

I’ve watched some of the MST3K movies plain. If you’re like my mum you don’t have all of the riffs memorized. Manos is torture to watch. She made me turn it.:cry: I was laughing my head off over jokes only I could hear. The only way to get through some of these is by keeping the quips coming. That said the new episodes are pretty well riffed. Cry Wilderness could use the Atari ET treatment. My favorite thing about them is that they interact with the film. I understand more of the references also.
I’m weird in that I actively look for bad movies to watch. Rifftrax are probably the only people who have watched more bad things than I have. Between ROKU and YouTube I have plenty to, is enjoy really the right word? Watching these things was fun with my cats quiping at them. Now my mum puts up with it.

4 Likes

Love that you were so receptive

This is definitely colored, at least a little bit, by The Gauntlet, which was the point of The Gauntlet, so it’s more a feature than a fault. As for season 11 I probably need to revisit

3 Likes

Joel has said stuff to the effect that he wouldn’t mind if there were no host segments. He thinks the riffing is what people want and the host segments are just what you did because there were commercials.

2 Likes

That’s interesting because I think one of the advantages that MST3K has over RT is that there are host segments that make it more than riffing. There are people involved. I don’t think the host segments are the most important part of the show, but they’re still important to the concept of the show.

15 Likes

Once the crew had a riff that recalled Super Dragon, I was SOLD!

3 Likes

I agree. I think the host segments make it a show. Without them, it’s just a bad movie with funny commentary.

13 Likes

JOEL SAYS A LOT OF STUFF!!

8 Likes

I was not at all expecting that Super Dragon callback in Reptilicus, but I was SCREAMING at that!

2 Likes

Avalanche and Mac and Me are my faves of each season.

Rock Hudson!
rock family GIF

6 Likes

I cracked up during Beast of Hollow Mountain when the bots were dressed up and just wandering around freaking everyone out. It went long and got ridiculous but still made me laugh :sweat_smile:
So far, the 1st three episodes of season 11 were great but I won’t be rewatching Avalanche or Hollow Mountain.

6 Likes

Aw, those are two of my favorites from season 11, but everyone has their favorites.

3 Likes

I love the netflix generation. I think it’s kind of unfair that those two seasons seem to be completely locked behind a paywall, but w/e… it’s hard to pretend we haven’t all taken a turn with the flix.

Cry Wilderness is top tier. Mac and Me, too.

5 Likes

I still have Netflix however I also bought the BluRay sets. Call me paranoid I guess…

7 Likes

Watching the Netflix seasons after a long break from MST3K made me realize that puppetry is a big part of why I love the show. The renewed focus on puppetry (expert puppeteers, new movements the original bots can do, the new robot characters, etc.) is what drew me back in.

7 Likes

I had to rewind their reactions to the gas station explosion in Mac and Me like three times lol

4 Likes

I will say that the film lineup for the Netflix seasons seems more “party-time” focused

2 Likes