322. Master Ninja I (1984)

Just for the record: They keep saying Gerbil, but Henry is totally a Hamster. This was confirmed by my wife, who loves Hamsters more than anything else in the world.

6 Likes

Speaking of Henry, I was just watching today and I realized his ‘cage’ is just a wheel, which seems pretty cruel to me. No place to comfortably sleep or eat or anything. Max Keller is not a good pet owner.

4 Likes

The small friend is destined to be show color not a testimonial on exemplary pet care.

5 Likes

With great embarrassment, I confess that I pictured the cage in another part of the truck. Off-camera. I never thought that Henry lived in the wheel full-time. Why’d I put more thought into this than the writers probably did? :person_shrugging:

7 Likes

Things escalated quickly from “I should finally check out those Master Ninja episodes” a couple weeks ago to “I NEED THIS!”

Extra fun for MSTies: If you order from Amazon, Alexa announces “The Master has arrived.” Much more ominous-sounding than it is.

12 Likes

The Master… Approves?

6 Likes

… showmanship?

7 Likes

For me, one of the more memorable moments in this episode is when, without warning, Crow’s net just falls off!

Trace instantly covers this with a quiet “Ow” and they just keep on riffing!

4 Likes

@amass79 And Master Ninja I (1984)? As much a fan?

2 Likes

I love it!

2 Likes

Of course guest star Bill McKinney would return for more Bad Cop fun in Final Justice. And as for 007 connections, guest star Soon Tek Oh leant Roger Moore’s James Bond a hand against Christopher Lee in The Man with the Golden Gun.

2 Likes

Soon Tek Oh was also in several dozen M * A * S * H episodes, I think.

4 Likes

If you were Asian and an actor in Hollywood in the 70s, you were in at least one M*A*S*H episode.

5 Likes

Soon Tek Oh was in everything in the 70s and 80s.

5 Likes

So, there is a Karate kata performed during the opening credit sequence of “The Master I”.

I recognized it ! It is called Naihanchi I, and it was stylized by the renowned karateka, Motobu Choki.

There are three kata in this series, and they are all very short, and usually done altogether.

I learned this kata almost two years ago, and I can’t believe I only recognized it now.
Now, the guy doing it is doing it in a Tang Soo Do style, which is sometimes known as “Shotokan Lite”; being rooted in that Okinawan/ Japanese system. You can tell from the Republic of Korea flag.

So…is he doing a good job? Watch this older gentleman perform it, with more power and grace.

1 Like

I recall that even though not many of my family were interested in the show, we watched the first Master Ninja as a family shortly after we got Comedy Central and had a blast. I think because we all recognized it for what it was, a cheesy but watchable TV series edited into a pseudo film.

7 Likes

I noticed tonight that The Master is available for free streaming on Tubi (and probably some other similar sites as well), so if you want it, you got it:

5 Likes

What a strange concept…

2 Likes

Kinda disappointed that there were no more Master Ninja movies to MST, because there was an episode of the Master where they encountered Max’s dad, played by none other than Doug McClure.

5 Likes

And I guess they really did find the old man’s daughter at some point, too.

3 Likes