417. Crash of the Moons (1954)

Our final trip to General Hospital, and this one is the colonoscopy. The engagement party had ended as a bust due to the male guest of honor having been called to the hospital. So the female guest of honor is offered a ride back by the host. He uses this as an opportunity to profess his unrequited love and proclaim her fiancé as a loser. He then gets to work jamming his tongue down her throat, with the issue of consent being rather murky. You know, typical soap opera stuff. That’s the last we’ll be seeing of it, and good riddance.

The main feature is another serialized storyline from Rocky Jones, Space Ranger repackaged as a movie, and it has one of the inanest science fiction concepts I’ve ever seen (and I’ve encountered some real doozies). Now rogue planets are a real thing, as are binary planets. The two combined are maybe a bit of a stretch. But the idea that they could host human life is implausible to say the least. Anyway, their shared orbit is starting to become erratic and are in danger of crashing into each other. Evacuating the two planets is complicated by the fact that one of them is ruled by an evil queen of the temperamental and untrusting variety and is convinced that it’s all a plot to undermine her. This is easily the weaker of the two Rocky Jones, Space Ranger features screened on MST3K. Not only are the attempts at science embarrassingly inept, but the scenes are just so talky. Rocky Jones, Space Ranger is more in its element when it does two-fisted action.

Back when my grandmother died, we were cleaning out her house where we uncovered a massive trove of 1990s Grit.

Darths & Droids (darthsanddroids.net)

2 Likes

“BIG FACE!!!”

2 Likes

“OH, THEY’RE LANDING ON THE PLANET OF MAGIC ROCKS.”

2 Likes

“WELCOME TO OUR CARDBOARD HOME.”

2 Likes

“HAVE FUN AT GERMAN CAMP!”

2 Likes

“MEL TORME!”

2 Likes

“WHEN IN THE UKRAINE, VISIT CHERNOBYL.”

2 Likes

What gets me about Crash of the Moons is that the story taken much more seriously than the previous Rocky Jones movie. There’s times when it gets really deep and ponderous too.

But it’s still a silly space opera at heart so this is still a lot a fun here! I favor Manhunt in Space, but I enjoy this too!

This episode feature of the best parting shots ever (When Dr. Forrester freaks out over the BannerGram)! Trace’s panic and facial expressions are so hilarious! :laughing:

5 Likes

What became of the Rock n Wreck guitar? If someone has it, please give out some specs. Things like how it’s put together, playability, whether or not you use it.

4 Likes

The better of the two Rocky Jones episodes (barely). John Banner’s overbearing congeniality in this one gives Joel and the Bots lots of riffing fodder. A solid outing for season 4. Dopey rocket ship movies are my favorite genre and this one fits nicely in that niche!

5 Likes

John Banner is the MVP of Crash of the Moons (1954). He’s the highlight of the movie. Everyone else is stale compared to him. His nonstop flattery and jovial flair steals attention whenever he opens his mouth.

3 Likes

“I’ve got two dollars. I’ll wrestle the queen.”

1 Like

I did like the Gypsy Moons segment, even though Gypsy would rather be the mother figure of the group instead of being swooned by Tom and Crow.
She’s very cute.

3 Likes

“Hi, Bavarro.”

4 Likes

Just watched this one again yesterday. It’s in my Top Ten episodes. Never gets old. :love_letter:

I stand by my earlier opinion that Trinka and Cleolanta are better developed and more interesting female characters than any of the women in the first several seasons of Trek: TNG. :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Were there any characters in the first few seasons of TNG, or just devices to praise the awesome coolness of Wesley Crusher?

1 Like

picard GIF

3 Likes