908. The Touch of Satan (1971)

As my daughter said while watching Bedazzled (the good 1967 one) last night, “Satan kind of seems like the good guy here.”

6 Likes

Roy Thinnes! From Code Name Diamond Head!

5 Likes

Can’t forget: he’s also Dr. Damn Unappealing from General Hospital.

Happy Birthday GIF by Klaus Knuth Illustration

5 Likes

There’s a lot of things which undo this movie: the boring-because-bored couple, the utterly illogical story, the various presumed line flubs (which our hosts mine as well as anyone could), and the 1K budget.

I agree with Mike that the score sounds incongruous from moment to moment, but at least when I focus on that, I’m less bored.

Strictly average episode for me. All kudos to “Steffi,” though. She’s got way more villainous screen presence in a couple of minutes than Grandma Kramer could manage even once over a whole film.

3 Likes

One thing I wondered about also, is the film kind of glosses over the fact that Lucinda has gotten out a number of times before, and I assume has killed previously too…and yet this little community is still in the dark about almost regular murders in the area.

4 Likes

Except for the guy talking about the fromichidal maniac.

3 Likes

“Whoa! Hot dog, French fries, ramen noodles… Wow, look at him go!” “Um, Jody? That’s gonna take the paint off your car.” “You know, a vomit stained Maverick was hardly a rarity in those days.” “I’m here to tell you, nope.”

2 Likes

I think they mention early on that the farmer is the first victim in seven or eight years. I dunno’. I was already fighting sleep at that point. :yawning_face:

2 Likes

“You sold your soul to Satan because you wanted seconds?!”

4 Likes

Eh, I’ve sold my soul for less. Well, I sold someone’s soul.

3 Likes

What?! I only loaned you my soul!

2 Likes

I was thinking that the way they handle Lucinda, is pretty much like the family in Blood of the Vampires handles the vampire-turned Mother. For some reason, they can’t bring themselves to kill her, but then again, they don’t seem to take into account how much of a threat she is and keep her from getting out or attacking others.

Like they assume their hands-off policy will work and somehow, the crazed relation will just stop.

3 Likes

Not a name! A bad hand!

episode 14 flirty GIF

2 Likes

You should see the stern disapproving looks they gave her when the main characters weren’t around.

3 Likes

I just read on Wikipedia (always a reliable source) that the film was originally called “Touch of Melissa,” which is slightly less intimidating.

3 Likes

Someone please edit Wikipedia to say that the original name was “This is Where the Fish Lives.”

5 Likes

You edit it, I’m bitter.

4 Likes

I can’t believe I’m defending this soporific cheese log in any way, but I guess the chosen title is more accurate. Since Jody touches Melissa to seal his bargain with Satan.

In fact, watching that scene again makes me think that it’s the whole reason the film was made. A movie which started with that and then followed Jody trying to get out of the deal would’ve been at least a little more interesting. Maybe?

Michael Berry, despite being about as awake for most of the movie as I am, does have a very familiar voice. I feel like he must have done voice overs for commercials after this. He sounds very familiar to GenX me.

3 Likes

Similarly, The Thing That Wouldn’t Die (which totally did die) was originally entitled The Water Witch, alluding to Jessica’s dowsing ability.

6 Likes

P.S. - Took a while to remember where I’d stashed this. It’s required for this thread, too:

1 Like