910. The Final Sacrifice (1990)

I was watching some Behind the Scenes featurettes for Michael Mann’s Last of the Mohicans, and look whose name popped up!

8 Likes

He’s worked on a few of Michael’s films. He’s behind The Making of Ali (2001), Miami Vice: Undercover (2006), Michael Mann: Making Public Enemies (2009), Making The Last of the Mohicans (2010), and HBO First Look: Blackhat (2015). He’s close to Mann and Mr. Documentary. The conflict between the old Tjardus Greidanus and the new one is where the touchiness comes from. Tjardus wants to be taken seriously and having his first film be the butt of jokes and celebrated for it is too much for the man to bear.

5 Likes

I’m NOT defending him. I have no copy of 910 nor access to it due to his feelings. The joke of his name has come true. The legend of the Greidanus continues.

4 Likes

Christian Malcolm (Troy) has popped up in a couple of movies and shows as well. He was in a couple of episodes of the show Band of Brothers and the movie Hanna.

10 Likes

One of the best episodes ever! The Final Sacrifice is so hilarious from start-to-finish.

Rowsdower is a just a legendary character!

6 Likes

Seriously, just thinking about this one gets me to snicker. :laughing:

7 Likes

Anyone know how to score a copy? LOL!!!

6 Likes

EBay to the rescue. A pretty penny but worth it.

4 Likes

Sorry, mine is worth its weight in gold. Not sure I would even sell it at that price.

6 Likes

I’m good. I have one coming. $250 later. I fear it will only get worse. It’s why I acted!

4 Likes

This is why I don’t go looking on Ebay for the original Volume X.

5 Likes

Great episode! Top five easy! I wonder who decided that Zap Rowsdower would be a good name for the hero!:sweat_smile: Zap and Troy are funny enough, but then the movie gives us Pipper! Consarnit, it’s comedy gold! Sooo much fun here! Beer on the sun, Pippercam, Geddy Lee’s birthplace!

The first time I saw this was in 02 when I videotaped this episode off Sci-fi channel. It’s the best of season 9 in my opinion. I probably watch it 3 or 4 times a year.

8 Likes

“Ah hates that rabbit! DOOOOO! Gets me an eraser!”

5 Likes

I don’t blame him. It can be hard having your work held up for sustained mockery, especially when you’re trying to make a career of it, and the ridicule of your student project from decades ago remains your best-known product.

Those “First Look” and “Making Of” segments are rather less than I expect he wanted to be doing. Most of them look to be the kind of thing where you could replace him and his entire crew with a high school AV club (pointing the camera straight, editing together the good sound bites) and a mall Glamor Shots (quick hair & makeup, studio space set up to provide good lighting and a mildly pleasant backdrop that adds a touch of interest while keeping the focus on a person or small group sitting still at the center of the frame) and they’d be overqualified.

More recently, he’s credited with three documentaries highlighting the polio vaccine, which is important work right now. Although given the identical subject matter, I suspect the latter two involve a lot of repackaged material from the first one. Still, I’m glad he’s gotten to do that, and I can understand why he wouldn’t want people circulating our particular tape.

Still sucks. It’s one of my favorite episodes and people should be able to see it.

6 Likes

“GORDON LIGHTFOOT AT HOME.”

4 Likes

“THEY WORSHIP BLUE OYSTERS.”

3 Likes

“CANADIAN MANNIX!”

3 Likes

“IT’S HIS MICHAEL FEINSTEIN SIGNATURE BAT.”

3 Likes

Bah dum buh dum eh?

3 Likes

“I’M JUST REMEMBERING A SCENE FROM BIO-DOME.”