Favorite/Least Favorite 3 in a Row

Favorite three is easy

803-The Mole People

804-The Deadly Mantis

805- Thing that Could’nt Die

Least favorite three?..honestly I can’t think of three in a row I didn’t like.

4 Likes

This exactly.

I’m not huge about The Painted Hills or Eegah either (I know Eegah is a favorite, and there’s a lot of great riffs, but the movie’s pretty gross to watch - and not because of the great Richard Kiel). But other than those and Swamp Diamonds, Season 5 episodes 1 to 14 are probably my most-watched group. Love 'em.

There’s a lot of good runs, and a few bad, so I’m going to limit myself to 3 classics with less classics on either side, and 3 bottom-of-my-listers with pretty great episodes before and after. So 3 top-of-my-list sandwiched by 2 less-good would be:

1006: Boggy Creek II
1007: Track of the Moon Beast
1008: Final Justice

With Blood Waters of Dr. Z and Hamlet on either side. Boggy Creek II isn’t quite as perfect as the other two, but it’s pretty great.

That was harder than I thought! Anytime there’s 3 classic in a row, there’s usually 4 or 5.
Manos, Warrior of the Lost World, and Hercules almost have it, but Bride of the Monster is pretty close to classic on one end.

3 low-listers surrounded by 2 greats would be:

0621: Beast of Yucca Flats
0622: Angels Revenge
0623: Amazing Transparent Man

Bookended by Danger!! Death Ray and Samson vs. the Vampire Women. Samson isn’t a classic and Beast isn’t one of the worst, but I think this is the best fit.

As @MichaelRobertson originally posted, Violent Years, Last of the Wild Horses, and Starfighters are a pretty mediocre run, but while I like Sinister Urge and Skydivers, neither is quite good enough to qualify as all-timers. Man, Season 6! High highs and low lows.

2 Likes

Painted Hills is a scream, it’s another Top 10er for me

And actually, I think Violent Years, Wild Horses and Starfighters make for a mighty fine trio. I enjoy all 3, with Violent and Starfighters making my top 50, and as a fan of the genre, I welcome the rare western on MST. “Howdy Hitler” - Servo :laughing:

3 Likes

My favorite 3 in a row:
Deathstalker and the Warriors from Hell
The Incredible Melting Man
Escape 2000.

All three are classic for me. And I agree with haknudsen
Worst:
Rocket Attack USA
Ring of Terror
Wild Rebels.

About the only time I had 3 duds in a row.

I could never diss ‘Last of the Wild Horses’ because it had both the Mads in the theater, and the episode’s skits were centered on them being in a Star Trek Mirror Universe skits. Also I thought the riffing was solid.

4 Likes

Not at all surprised to see those three here. Season 7 just crushed it. All killer, no filler.

6 Likes

Favorites:
301- CAVE DWELLERS
302- GAMERA
303- POD PEOPLE

Pod People was the first episode I ever saw, and still one of my favorites.

Can’t really find a “least favorite” trio, though there are a bunch I don’t remember all that well.

2 Likes

For those who participated, and I think I know more or less how this is going to go:

• Someone else had 2 of my 3 Favorites in their Least Favorites list.
  • Someone else had 2 of my 3 Least Favorites in their Favorites list.
  • Both
  • Neither

0 voters

2 Likes

This came up in a different forum, and I’m going to take the rogue approach someone there took:

Strongest 3
213 Godzilla Vs. Megalon
214 Godzilla vs. the Sea Monster
301 Cave Dwellers

Weakest 3
I’m going to go with the Fu Manchu on Ninja Sandwich mentioned above.
However, this list would be different if I was considering the reboot. I’m willing to believe they’re funnier than I realize because I’m a fossil. The original run was right in my wheelhouse for cultural references and comedy style.

2 Likes

Here’s my three favorites

1. The Day the Earth Froze
  2. Bride of the Monster
  3. The Beatniks

And here are my 3 least favorites (Note: I stopped watching MST3K since Season 6 ended, it just wasn’t the same after Frank and Trace weren’t in the show together anymore, but there’s these three that stand out)

1. Laserblast (if only season 7 didn’t end the way it did, This is why my Mom prefers having both Frank and Trace in the show together, regardless if sci-fi channel didn’t have the show, The characters in-universe wouldn’t return home to Earth and would be gone for good.)
  2. Soultaker (why does my girl Gypsy have to be the only one acting jerkish and not getting involved with Joel fixing everything!? She got Joel off the Satellite in the first place and everything, that wasn’t funny at all! I was worried sick of her here!)
  3. The Giant Spider Invasion (I find this episode to be the darkest and most disturbing MST3K episode ever, not like something scary that’s funny, like Tom Servo’s new head in the Violent Years, this season 8 episode is just… traumatizing. I have a fear of body snatchers ever since, Thankfully Bobo does save everyone, but Pearl forced them to watch the same movie again!)

I always asserted the the most painful MST3K experience was the Master Ninja/Castle of Fu Manchu sandwich.

It takes fortitude to watch the series in order sometimes.

2 Likes

You could put Fu Manchu in between my top two favorite episodes, Mitchell and Jack Frost, and it would still feel like an endurance test because Fu Manchu.

For me, the movie in Fu Manchu has such a bizarre quality about it that I still stay attentive during the episode, even though the movie is incomprehensible.
The ones I have a hard time getting through are the ones where the movie is so unremarkable and mediocre, not really bad enough, that it makes the episode less memorable for me - ones like Werewolf or The Touch of Satan.

1 Like

But… I love the Master Ninja sandwich. And I love Season 2 and 6 :person_shrugging:

2 Likes

Least favorite:

1. Beast of Yucca Flats- I remember the first watching this, and I had to watch it in increments. That’s how brutal the movie was.

2. San Francisco International- It’s not what you think. The riffing was top notch, but it was the Urkel host segments that made me never want to rewatch it. Just like Roger Ebert and his review of North, I hated, hated, hated, hated, hated the Urkel host segments. They really beat a dead horse with the endless laughing. My sincerest apologies to everyone who liked it.

3. Hamlet- I know that this was season 10, and I know they were trying to broaden their horizons to Shakespeare and Maximillian Schell. This was was beyond brutal, and I’m positive nearly everyone agrees with this as well. Again my sincerest apologies to those who liked it.

Yeah I’m with you on that. Okay, I might only use three “hateds”, but LORD they did not need to carry it over for the whole episode.

With Season 13 now complete, a new potential trio of favorite consecutive episodes emerges:

1303: Beyond Atlantis
1304: Munchie
1305: Doctor Mordrid

All powerhouse episodes.

And admittedly, that could just as easily go:

1304: Munchie
1305: Doctor Mordrid
1306: Demon Squad

6 Likes

I win again.

3 Likes

FLAWLESS VICTORY

1 Like

Also, this thread is endlessly fascinating to me.

4 Likes

What about you, Drac—got a favorite/least favorite run of three?

2 Likes