Film Noir

Oh I was thinking of the series Blade Runner Black Lotus series. Kinda looks like your gif.

2 Likes

Huh. I didn’t even know that existed. Obviously the show is inspired by the movie, so there may very well be a similar scene. I’ll stick with the original movie. Not very interested in the show considering I thought the sequel was really dull.

1 Like

In my humble opinion…not good! Started off interesting and then went…f :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: I don’t know where! BORING! Honestly…I guess I’m supposed to be super blown away by the animation? But, even that is kinda crap…lol.

2 Likes

I liked the version of The Long Goodbye with Elliott Gould in it.

4 Likes

I’ll have to check that out. I’ll watch Elliott Gould in anything.

1 Like

1 Like

Since it was a very slow day and I was working from home, I went ahead and watched it. I really enjoyed it, which is surprising since I generally don’t like Altman films, but I’m glad I gave it a chance because I loved Gould’s interpretation of Marlowe.

2 Likes

Gould reportedly tried to have Altman fired during the MASH filming a couple of years earlier. I guess he couldn’t have been too mad.

2 Likes

I’m confused now because I was reading up on The Long Goodbye on IMDB and they’re calling it a spoof. Is it a spoof? There are funny moments in the movie, but I would hardly call it a spoof.

1 Like

I wouldn’t call it a spoof. Just twisted, I think.

2 Likes

And Robert Altman’s direction?

1 Like

I mean, it was fine I guess. It wasn’t the usual meandering plotless stuff I have come to expect from Altman.

1 Like

Altman is a mixed bag for sure. The meandering plots bore me to tears (though some people love them) but The Player (which seems like it’s going to meander at first) was in my top 5 for the year.

The Long Goodbye isn’t so much a parody as it is an updating (not unlike Lebowski, really). There’s some meta-humor in it to be sure, though: The only music (apart from the opening and closing credits) is variations on the theme, including over the speakers at the supermarket and played as a dirge by a mariachi band.

Gould had been blackballed for years prior to TLG and Altman insisted on him being the lead. So.

3 Likes

I thought Pamela Britton’s part was heartbreaking. Usually known for comedic roles, her acting in DOA has a heart-piercing realism.

3 Likes
1 Like

I like the detective stories but I like best the stories of people making increasingly bad mistakes as the world turns against them, like Double Indemnity.

Also… does anyone remember what this shot is from? I remember it being a cool, trippy one.

2 Likes

Quicksand starring Mickey Rooney is a really good one of these. A small dishonesty quickly grows to be an inescapable horror.

2 Likes