FORUM UPDATE: Image Policy

𐎧𐏁𐎠𐎹𐎰𐎡𐎹

4 Likes

4 :european_castle: {2K £}

3 Likes

( o Y o )

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

4 Likes

Anything else lol. Anything else other than computer systems, and operating circuits, and Jpeg pixels, sampos, and internet trolls, and algorithm nations, calligraphy and such nonsense :wink:

2 Likes

Ȟ̶̛̤̝̫͖̖͎̭̭͙̫̙͈̖͚̠͕̈́ơ̷͖͈̝̭̗̟̪̹̤̥̠̌̒̍̈́͐̃̈̏́ͅw̵̬̬̅̅ ̴̹̜̩̬̫͈̖̘̮̊͑́̄͒̒̒̚a̷̡̛̙͇̖͋͛̽͐͆̀b̶̛̽̉̓́̈̇͒͐͘ͅȏ̴̧̧̡̘̼̤͔̮͙͔̬͔̘̗̟̪̿u̷̯̙̳̎͑̃̓̂̌̂͑̏͗̓͝͝t̶̺̙̍̌͐͑́̐̀̈́̈́̌͋̈̈́̇͝͠ ̴̛̞̫̹̑̈̀͋͊͆̊̿̃͝͝Ẓ̷͕̩͓̥̠̰͇̫͎̔̀͛́͋̎̈́a̷̛̠͂̀͌͑̄̒̽̓̿̅͘l̷̛̞͖̰̥͆̽̐͊̏̂̋̅͗̌̔́͒̚g̴̤̤̪͖̥͎͙̘̹͕̾̈́̿͛̏̾ơ̶̤͇͙̐͊͊̈́͌̿̀̽͌͐̀̽̃͘ ̵̩̄͑ͅţ̷͇̜̙̘̟̣͓̠̬͖̻̝̝̌̂ͅe̴̛͈͒̆̄̀̀̏̀͝x̸̧̡̧̼͖̺̬̘͍̱̝̞͙͖̗̄̋͌̌́͑̐́t̷̯͌̋̓?̷͔͈͉͚̮̜̦̃̀̈́̀̉̍̒͐̄̓̚̚͝͝͝

4 Likes

⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣶⣿⣷⣶⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣽⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⣀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠐⠚⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⡀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⣿⡿⠛⠻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⢿⣿⡄⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠁⠀⠀⠀⢹⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣄⠙⢿⣦⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣠⣿⣿⣿⡿⠛⠛⠿⣿⣦⣹⣷⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⣶⣶⣶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣶⣤⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡇
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠟⠋⢁⣼⣿⣿⣿⣿⡿⠃
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠈⠛⠿⠿⠿⠿⠿⠟⠛⠉⠀⠀⢀⣴⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⠋⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣤⣶⣶⣶⣶⣤⡀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⣠⣶⣿⣿⠿⠛⠉⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⢀⣠⣾⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣷⣦⣤⣶⣾⡿⠿⠛⠉⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⢶⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡟⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠈⠙⠿⢿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠿⢻⣿⣿⣿⣿⣧⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢠⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢀⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⢸⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⡏⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠘⣿⣿⣿⣿⣿⠟⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠹⣿⣿⡿⠋⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀
⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠙⢿⠁⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀⠀

7 Likes

No NO! What is that? What are you saying? Why?

2 Likes

MOD HAT: Gang, let’s remember this is one of the few areas where we need to be more serious and not cracking jokes. If you have questions or comments about the policy, by all means, let’s talk about them. Otherwise, take the jokes to another section. Thanks.

10 Likes

To help keep this thread on topic, I’ve just created an ASCII art thread:

Show us your best mermaids over there!

4 Likes

(oops, sorry!) :grin: :purple_heart:

4 Likes

“If I edit past posts to remove images, that doesn’t actually delete the image from memory, does it?”

2 Likes

We’re hoping that deleting old images will free up space when the time comes. Since every image is stored as a local copy regardless of how it’s linked, it should work.

But that’s not something that needs to happen right now. As we said, this announcement is to be proactive going forward. No one needs to go back and delete their stuff right now. Just be more aware going forward.

10 Likes

1 Like

This:

That is, it’s the image display where you see the image in normal brightness over the dimmed background of the web page. In this case it’s also been shrunk if over a certain size (hence the link to the original).

6 Likes

Alternative solution:

I donate one of these suckers to you guys:

Western Digital 12TB WD Red Pro NAS Internal Hard Drive HDD - 7200 RPM, SATA 6 Gb/s, CMR, 256 MB Cache, 3.5" - WD121KFBX https://a.co/d/8zCK253

I’ll gladly plop down $300 bucks so that everyone can post any stupid images they want!

At the forum max of 4MB, that’d be roughly 3 MILLION images.

What say you?

1 Like

While I love the initiative, the limiter is the “plan” we’re on with Discourse, more than physical storage capacity.

7 Likes

Yeah, it’s a bandwidth thing. All the storage in the world doesn’t matter if you are using too much of their bandwidth.

3 Likes

Just some Thursday morning brainstorming…

I used to have a module that compressed images up to 90%, so that’s something to look into.

Can turn off uploading and only allow linked images.

Could have a job that deletes images that are older than say 3 months, or 6 months or some time frame… I’ve been on a lot of websites that do that…

:peace_symbol::green_heart::tv:

4 Likes

Which made me do a quick search and this website compresses large images-

1 Like