Grindhouse (2007)

A Double Feature of Exploitation Pictures presented together with trailers. Planet Terror, Death Proof, Werewolf Women of the SS, Don’t, Thanksgiving. I went to this 15 years ago and I couldn’t believe my eyes. Robert Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino sharing direction and splitting the runtime into two smaller films flanked by previews to nonexistent movies. The epic presentation of multiple genres, multiple stories, and the tribute to what was popular entertainment is so enthralling it remains one of my favorite productions of recent times. Rose McGowan, Kurt Russell, Josh Brolin, Freddy Rodriguez, Michael Biehn, Jeff Fahey, Rosario Dawson, Vanessa Ferlito, Tom Savini. Much has been said of From Dusk till Dawn (1996) and this matches it. 191 minutes, a bomb when first released, this lives on and I enjoy it more with every passing year. Agree? Disagree? What are your memories, thoughts, and take of Grindhouse (2007)?

4 Likes

As I recall, the home release of this separated the two films into separate DVDs.

Wasn’t this also where the Machete trailer originated, long before they made the Machete movie?

4 Likes

That is correct. The Machete trailer began here and I personally like it better than the eventual flick. Sometimes “Less is more” as they say. My mileage. The 3 hour version eventually surfaced on DVD and Blu-Ray and I grabbed both immediately.

2 Likes

Death Proof, baby!

Yeah, the plot is pretty stupid, but it is some hot, hot car action. And Kurt Russell. Featuring a young Mary Elizabeth Winstead, Sidney Poitier’s daughter, Zoë Bell, Cheryl Ladd’s daughter, and a host of other incredibles.

1 Like

I was lucky enough to see this opening weekend in its full, uncut glory. It was a kinda mixed bag for me, in that I loved Planet Terror but felt Death Proof was a letdown coming off of the previous movie. Loved the trailers in-between, too.

3 Likes

It improves with exposure. Did with me. Some have argued the order of the movies was wrong. That it should be Death Proof first then Planet Terror. People say Planet Terror is such a crowdpleaser it’s an anticlimax starting there then going to Death Proof. I see that. The concept is such wowing instantly almost demanded a showstopper at the top. And Planet Terror was so successful virtually anything after couldn’t compete.

The Two-Disc Collector’s Edition Blu-Ray containing the 191 minute version and supplemental materials is available on Amazon for $9.99. A perfect October night’s diversion.

Trailer to Grindhouse (2007).

Machete. Fake Trailer.

Werewolf Women of the SS. Fake Trailer.

Don’t. Fake Trailer.

1 Like

Thanksgiving. Fake Trailer.

1 Like

It rules. A reverse slasher that’s a crusher and the ladies have their revenge. What’s not to like?

The man speaks truth! I don’t know how many times I’ve watched Death Proof, but at least a dozen times.

Planet Terror, however, just a couple of times. And, of course, the fake commercials are genius.

The latter was cute and all, but Death Proof has some of the best car action ever.

Gone in 60 Seconds can compare (no, not that “Angelina Jolie BS,” but the real one), certainly, and that classic has the “advantage” of having hilariously terrible dubbed in dialogue/flubs at times.

And Kurt Russell saves the first segment from the first girl gang, almost singlehandedly. Michael Parks is the interlude. And the rest speaks for itself.

Buddy Joe Hooker was stunt driving double, as he was in, for example, the classic White Lightning.

But if someone can find a better car chase movie than D P or G/60 Sec, I’ll go “frozen peas” on you! (I admit I haven’t seen Hooper, but I’m just sayin’).

1 Like

Here’s a little lagniappe of non-car action from DP. A little popcorn ball for your Halloween basket.

1 Like

Clutch Tarantino audio candy. I savor the conversations in this. They really shouldn’t work and they do. The magic of his writing and casting the right gals to deliver it. Executed flawlessly. Quentin’s stab at the meandering dialogue the victims have in these movies.

A crown jewel scene. The girls’ last ride.

1 Like

Yeah, that’s true.

A bit gruesome, but it is a slasher movie!

1 Like

Or a Crusher as I call it. :slightly_smiling_face:

Haaaated it. So much to where I’ve never been inclined to revisit it.

Rodriguez, whom I normally would say is never boring, just grueling.

Yes, Tarantino, give me a seven minute conversation about Vanishing Point. That’s exactly what four hot 20-something girls would be talking about. And feet. Lots of feet. Also, of course three girls would leave their friend as collateral with a rapey guy.

Kurt Russell kicked ass. So did Zoe Bell. The car chase is genuinely fantastic. But we’re three hours in at this point.

My expectations were probably too high. I was there on opening night with my dad and…yeah, it was grueling, even with the missing reel.

Trailers were good. Wouldn’t mind seeing Edgar Wright’s Don’t and Eli Roth’s Thanksgiving. Rob Zombie’s Werewolf Women of the S.S. I’d probably admire from afar…

1 Like