Have you ever walked out on a movie?

I’m pretty sure I mentioned I had something akin to a rage-stroke during The Grudge. Two rows of tweens directly in front of me who had no concept of how to behave in a theater.

I think I mentioned I know the guy who wrote this. It was part of a popular double-feature back in the '70s/'80s at revival theaters. (I think I saw it with Play It Again, Sam, for a double-dose of '70s neuroses comedies.)

Boy, howdy. Pollack was really a darling of the Hollywood crowd but I find Out of Africa and Tootsie genuinely loathsome. I dislike Absence of Malice, too, not because it’s horrible but because I get it mixed up with the much better The Verdict from the much better Sydney. And then the other stuff of his I’ve seen strikes me as just…meh.

I liked him in How Much Does Your Building Weigh, Mr. Gehry, which weirdly enough doesn’t even seem to appear anywhere on his IMDB page.

I think Francis Ford Coppola’s Gary Oldman’s Bram Stoker’s Dracula may be my favorite version. Not the least for the fact that in the run-up, they were talking about how they’d gone back to the original book—they wanted it to be so faithful—and the first thing they do is give Dracula an origin story. lol

But I get why people don’t like it.

3 Likes