If you could re-edit a movie, what would you do?

If you had the chance to re-edit any movie in the world, what would you do to what movie?

4 Likes

I’d edit that elephant trunk out of Gamera v. Jiger.

8 Likes

How to end Star Wars in 10 minutes:

“There are no life signs in that escape pod.”

“Shoot it anyway.”

7 Likes

The conclusion of Psycho without so much (or any, depending on the edit) of that psychological discussion at the end that grinds the movie’s climactic heights to a halt. It feels like all that talkiness takes away from the shock of the reveal at the movie’s climax.

5 Likes

Also, I’m sure The Return of the King could have had some battle footage trimmed here and there so that the theatrical cut could have depicted Saruman’s ultimate fate. They did my boy Christopher Lee dirty.

Yeah, I know his final scene is in the Extended Edition. Doesn’t matter. You don’t have some rando in Return of the Jedi say “Oh, yeah, Darth Vader’s been dealt with, he’s going to face a cosmic trial and then get taken to intergalactic space jail” and then NOT proceed to resolve that major antagonist’s story. Just… ugh.

4 Likes

I’d edit out one trope that seems to be in a lot of horror movies and it’s the end of Leviathan.

Poor Winston Zedmore. They just killed him to check the “only black guy gets killed off” cliche. Should have left him alive.

4 Likes

Just out of curiosity, I assume this is “editing only, with no new footage”?

I feel like an easy pick would be “use the Thing remake’s original effects.”

3 Likes

Does this still work?

Also, make I’ll Do Anything back into a musical. Even if it’s still bad, it’ll be bad in its intended form.

2 Likes

I’d fix Memento so the scenes go in order.

:wink:

2 Likes

Give me all the raw footage for Space Mutiny, and I’ll make it make sense.

7 Likes

Every time I watch Dr. Strangelove I think “you know, just like 5-7 minutes taken out of this would make it work so much better.” No scenes cut, just trim a few seconds here and there throughout. Big trims on those long establishing shots of the plane, though. I get it, you bought a model plane and you want your money’s worth.

In “already did it” news, I just the other day edited Gremlins 2 to replace the film break moment with the brilliant DVR version a fan made about 15 years ago. Shame I couldn’t find a high quality version of it, but I fiddled with the contrast so it doesn’t look all that bad (plus I’m not a super high-def guy anyway.)

3 Likes

Almost as quick.

3 Likes

That scene is neat, but the compositing is rather obvious…

2 Likes

I remember there being a feature on the special edition DVD set that allowed you to watch it that way.

5 Likes

You are correct, sir!

3 Likes

Does it work if you watch it chronologically?

2 Likes

It’s more followable, but it loses some of its dramatic punch when played straightforward. Because the dramatic structure is changed, those beats and rhythms Nolan that intended with his non-linear narrative are effectively screwed with.

The new endpoint with Leonard killing Teddy takes on a more haunting quality, but it doesn’t feel like the rest of the journey rises to meet that moment. If that makes sense.

4 Likes

It does. It’s been a long time since I saw it. I didn’t even know if the narrative held up the other way around.

2 Likes

I’ve seen a version where someone did that, you just have a bad movie.

2 Likes

Andie ends up with him.
Pretty In Pink GIF by Romy

2 Likes