Impact of Potential IATSE Strike on Season 13 Production?

I am often distracted by shiny things, but whenever THIS shiny thing drops into my lap, I will consume it gratefully and with abandon!

OOH SHINY!

6 Likes

If a strike happens, you all can come to my place and I’ll set up a movie they can riff. Easy as that, problem solved.

7 Likes

Fridays are casual attire and we decided to let employees cook fish in the company microwave. Your demands have been vetted!

3 Likes

[ Whereupon 50 hungry cats invade the studio and sit on all the lunchroom chairs, looking hopeful ]

4 Likes

I’ve literally been watching the show for 30+ years. Waiting won’t bother me at all.

I would rather wait if necessary than risk lowering production values to get around a strike (if that’s what it would take to keep things on schedule).

If there is any pause, there are 12 seasons of episodes, plus all the RT/ CT/ TFC/ etc. episodes to get us through it, how ever long it lasts.

8 Likes

Thank you for the note Lesley- it will be what it will be, but it’s very reassuring to hear the the production team are aware of this, have planned for it as best as possible, and are in the right side of the what this store represents. :slight_smile:

11 Likes

I think if we’ve waited this long for more mst3k, we can wait a bit longer :sweat_smile: It will be disappointing if this affects the tour of live shows, but I’m sure efforts will be made to reschedule/reimburse in that unlikely event? But as far as the production of season 13 goes, personally I won’t mind a delay if it means the crew involved enjoy better working conditions in the process

8 Likes

I hope it is resolved positively.

As someone who generally lives & works in a small market and would probably not benefit much from being in a union (certainly not opposed to it) i find it odd & interesting to think there are enough gigs (to work) for this to have an impact…but, well, that is the entire point of organizing.

I have worked (away) in places where there is a film industry mainly on jobs where a bigger (and union) crew is a huge hassle for a client (who isn’t producing entertainment). so it doesn’t seem like i am only advocating for working non-union, let me say it was usually in operating healthcare environments, which requires us to work quickly and on our tippy-toes to achieve our shots(keeping prod value high) whilst not disrupting patients & staff/doctors. So, it would seem there are times when large crews just don’t seem to make a massive amount ofsense.

Every job isn’t large enough in scale or funding, so i would be interested to hear, at some point, about how minuscule projects are completed while included union talent. are things just done for free or unnamed?

Does anyone have anything to say on the need for both union and non-union crews to be working out there? On why a small market crew person should join?

I think anyone with the knowledge & experience would have the attention of at least a few people here if they had anything to share.

Ta,
-L
:heavy_check_mark::facepunch:t5::beers:

P.S. - Good luck in finding a resolution to many if not all of the current issues, y’all.

2 Likes

just when i think i can’t love the MST3K crew more you all go and support worker’s rights. i really hope IATSE gets what they are after and there is minimal headaches for the MST3k crew. everyone deserves a safe and fair working environment!

10 Likes

Count me in for a positive and decisive resolution that sees the IATSE members getting what they need, want, and deserve. That’s the absolute priority here.

7 Likes

I will also support IATSE as well. If we have to wait just that little bit longer, completely understand.

6 Likes

I’m stoked to see y’all supporting the union and workers’ rights!

9 Likes

I’m more worried about the potential effect on live shows, just because cancelling/rescheduling is such a pain with travel involved. Not worried about shooting delays, since we know the episodes are coming for sure, and we all want them done right! I have friends in IATSE, and I 100% support them getting a fairer deal (and hope it’s soon, for them and us!)

8 Likes

To give a sense of the scale here, IATSE represents 60,000 film and TV workers who would walk out if the strike happens.

During the Writers Guild strike that essentially froze film and TV for 100 days in 2007-2008, 12,000 screenwriters stopped work.

An IATSE strike would be a total shutdown, as no one can work without crew.

That said, there’s good news about this situation in today’s backer update, to be published momentarily! (Sorry for the delay, it’s been a heckuva week.)

13 Likes

No worries at all about the delay. We all understand completely. You gotta do for you above all else.

And kudos on all the terrific work you do!

6 Likes

Thank you. We started shooting this week, as I’m sure you all know, I don’t want to gush too much here but seriously I am SO EXCITED for y’all to see what we are making for you.

11 Likes

You’re very welcome.

And we’re definitely all so excited to see what you folks have cooked up for Season 13!

5 Likes

Really glad to hear that y’all support unions, I’d wait any length necessary for new MST rather than to think it was made possible by scabs.

3 Likes

A deal has been reached:

9 Likes

Awesome!

4 Likes