Impressed by GOOD acting in a bad film?

Other times, it is like the navy officer (not one of the main cast) in Atlantic Rim giving very straightforward, non-dramatic orders in a clear, confident way that just makes me think he must have been hired because he was a real-life admiral or something.

That’s because he’s a genuine bona fide actor. That’s Graham Greene, who was in The Green Mile, Dances with Wolves, Wind River, and lots more! Yeah, I like his performance in Atlantic Rim too. I wonder what separates good acting from bad acting.

6 Likes

1 Like

I saw Stewart talk about filming DUNE once at a convention. He said that he was hired by Lynch based on the director having seen EXCALIBUR and thinking Stewart was actually Liam Neeson. He arrived on the set to find Lynch pretty much having a fit over getting the wrong actor and being stuck with him.

So imagine that burden on top of everything else and it makes Stewart’s performance even more remarkable.

3 Likes

Bryant Halliday; Devil Doll and The Projected Man. This actor is the best kept secret in Mst3K. He was creepy good in Devil Doll and evil good in Projected Man. Both performances are underrated.

6 Likes

I first knew Invasion of the Star Creatures from the sheer gutsiness of the movie trailer showing the alien women with their chests out and the announcer saying, “Look at those great big beautiful babes.”

I was slightly surprised when I finally saw it to realize how much of a goofy comedy it was. It’s not good, but it’s still tries, which you have to give them credit for trying.

2 Likes

ALSO, I’ve always been a fan of Coleen Gray. From playing the title role in The Leech Woman to a supporting role in Phantom Planet, to guest roles on shows like Perry Mason, she was always professional.

4 Likes

Fantabulous in the OG Nightmare Alley.

5 Likes

Yep. Nader was nearly likeable in this role. Even if it demanded that he basically tyrannize his own daughter into a watery grave. And the beard (though pretend) suited him. IMHO.

3 Likes

And it’s not a “bad” movie, certainly not bad enough to be MST worthy. It’s a movie which has its limitations, but for a first time director, I thought BVS did a commendable job. Nothing flashy in his style but he did try a couple of things which added visual interest. He also has a small role in the film.

With a larger budget, a longer shooting schedule and maybe a rewrite here and there, this could have been a good B-movie. As you said, it’s a good cast. John Carradine basically does his version of Clifton Webb in Laura and it’s enjoyable to watch.

The main problem is that our “hero” is an alcoholic police detective with a violent temper and prone to black outs. Oh yes, let’s all hope nothing bad happens to him. If you have to ask yourself, “Man – did I kill that dame last night?”, you may want to reevaluate your life choices.

Female Jungle is available on Tubi for any one interested in watching it.

2 Likes

Chang: “I am constant as the Northern Star!”
Bones: “I’d give real money if he’d shut up.”

However, if you watch his bit part in Karate Cop, he really manages to inject an air of menace in the scene. He was capable of doing a lot with not much when he wanted to.

I’ve mentioned him before in another thread (Ram Chips, I think), but I’m genuinely impressed with Jonathan Haze’s acting. Someone actually had to point out to me that he was playing characters in different Corman movies simply because he really gives himself to the role he’s playing. It is not the same character in different clothes. From Todd in the Viking Women to Little Man in Gunslinger to one of the old teenage cavemen, he’s really quite good at playing the parts he’s given.

6 Likes

I actually was referring to a different actor (“not one of the main cast”).
I dug up his info for another thread.

2 Likes

Ah cool. I wonder how much differen being in the Navy is from acting like an officer in a movie.

1 Like

Have we mentioned Raul Julia in Overdrawn At The Memory Bank yet? Because Raul Julia just acted the hell out of anything. On another message board, whenever the topic of great performances in bad movies comes up, Raul Julia in Street Fighter is usually one of the first, if not the first, things mentioned.

2 Likes

Sorry, just had to put that when that’s mentioned.

But yeah, Raul (save for the mumbling of “Am I nuts” leading to the stinger of the episode) did good with what he had in that.

1 Like

I’m honestly impressed by just about any attempt at filmmaking prior to the advent of “just hit the record button and let it run for 90 minutes”-era.

3 Likes

I think it was mentioned in another thread (Most Underrated Film?) but I was watching Tormented on Pluto last night and Susan Gordon does so much emotional heavy lifting in that film!

I haven’t seen the Twilight Zone episode she’s in (The Fugitive), but besides being in her dad’s films, she was also in a live version of Miracle on 34th Street with Ed Wynn as Kris Kringle! It’s all connected!

3 Likes

Huh. For some reason I thought Susan Gordon was in the “Little Girl Lost” episode of the Twilight Zone.

1 Like