It was 30 years ago today...

I tried to get an old friend to back season 13 but he said “Why would I help the show that had Manos?!” He’s still angry after I played it for our group back in 1999 or so😅
Not the best introductory episode, suppose…

5 Likes

Whatever you do, don’t try to re-introduce them with The Bubble.

9 Likes

I’d say that for not backing he should have to watch The Bubble.

donald duck angel GIF

9 Likes

I remember the first time I tried to watch Manos, in like, 2009ish and it took me two goes to get through the whole thing.

Although now I’ve watched it unriffed at least once and I’m not sure what that says about me.

7 Likes

Yes, but unriffed.

3 Likes

I remember being so excited to find “MST3K: The Essentials” at the local music/video store back in college (yes, I’m old). I didn’t discover the show til the SciFi years, so Manos was new to me. The first time watching it…was weird. Like, yes, this is the show I love, but what is this movie? It definitely had to do some growing on me, and I’m glad it wasn’t my introduction.

10 Likes

“NO! …No thank you.”

4 Likes

It’s still warm!!

7 Likes

Amen. And to reflect on why mst is so important to us! (Simultaneously traumatizing us with a bad movie and helping us endure the trauma with humor) genius!!!

5 Likes

Even battle hardened MSTies at the time must have taken a step back in fear.

6 Likes

:partying_face:

Truer words were never spoken:

6 Likes

Every time I see this thread title on the home page I think of Large Marge. :laughing: Am I the only one?

4 Likes

I was going for The Beatles.

5 Likes

Just think, if Frank hadn’t picked this movie we probably wouldn’t have characters like this:

4 Likes

And this would never have happened.

5 Likes

It’s weird but I remember watching it when it was first broadcast. I remember thinking ‘this movie is making my feet hurt’. No idea what was up with that but there you go. Scrambled my brain a bit, I fear.

6 Likes

30 years ago today “Manos: The Hands of Fate” premiered. I still remember watching it as a kid and thinking, “what WAS that?!”

Thank you all original MST cast members for making what I think is one of the original classics of all eras!

And thank you Frank- without you, this movie still would have sat lost in obscurity.

I know what I’m watching tonight!

3 Likes

But this other thread says the anniversary was a couple weeks ago. Now I am even more confused than normal…

3 Likes

Maybe one is the broadcast date, and the other is a production date.

3 Likes

One is the date they ordered from Torgo’s pizza and the other is the date it was delivered.

5 Likes