Literary Riffs

The title character’s death speech from The Crater Lake Monster:

Eyes, look your last!
Arms, take your last embrace! and, lips, O you
The doors of breath, seal with a righteous kiss
Come, bitter conduct, come, unsavoury…ah, the hell with it.

4 Likes

Ha! I’m in the middle of re-reading The World According to Garp. I’ll have to go back and watch Fire Maidens.

3 Likes

From Danger, Diabolik!

May flights of Jaguars sing thee to thy rest.

As Mike would surely know, from Hamlet, mostly.

5 Likes

Can’t forget the Algonquin sketch:

5 Likes

“Everyone thought that Joseph Campbell was tough, but that was just a myth.”

My favorite line from that sketch!

7 Likes

Both The Magic Sword and Puma Man mention Willa Cather’s birthplace and/or ancestral home.

4 Likes

Found it! “Ralph Ellison wants you.” As the pirates from Manhunt In Space are trying to coax the invisibility formula from Rocky Jones.

3 Likes

“…James Joyce.”

As the dad in Money Talks shows up.

2 Likes

I didn’t want to bring it up as I can’t recall the experiment, but I know Thurber’s “My World and Welcome to it” was invoked.

5 Likes

Finally located it! Giant Gila Monster which also has a clever Death of a Salesman riff.

5 Likes

They blend Poe with Coward in The Screaming Skull

“So this movie is kind of a combination of “Tell-Tale Heart,” Blithe Spirit, and, uh, well, a piece of lint, I guess.”

8 Likes

Oh, thanks for reminding me of this one. It’s extra good because they also clock the whole thing for the blatant Rebecca knockoff it is elsewhere.

7 Likes

“Jane and Louise were leaving at once for their jobs in the city. So you all drove to the train to see them off.” “And to reenact the last scene of Anna Karenina.”

5 Likes

From Radar Secret Service:

“Dinner At The Homesick Restaurant”

and

“Hey, it’s the Joy Boy Luck Club!”

7 Likes

Recently watching Gamera vs Zigra, little Kenny and Helen are asked where they are going and reply, “slouching toward Bethlehem”

zing

5 Likes

“Vladimir and Estragon: The sitcom!” from Horror of Party Beach. It’s not the only Waiting for Godot riff, but it’s the only one immediately followed by “Do farts have lumps?” :rofl:

3 Likes

There’s this gem in The Beatniks considering how much of a Nintendo fan I am and how much I love Yoshi:
" “I was thinkin’ we could go down there, grab us some quick loot, go down to Mexico and be banditos!” “Yeah and we can then ride Yoshi to the Mushroom Kingdom.”"

1 Like

“She’s a sexy Henry David Thoreau.” – Horrors Of Spider Island

4 Likes

Talking Batwoman elsewhere, reminded me of this one…

Villain - “This is the only exit”

Crow - “That’s one more than Sartre had”

7 Likes

Uh, what’s the literary part? :thinking: