Many Films Nobody Should See (or, Good Cult Films)

Was curious about November, thanks for the recommendation!

2 Likes

I think fans of this forum will get a kick out of a small '70s horror flick called “Messiah of Evil.” The scene where Anitra Ford is stalked by zombies in the supermarket is unforgettable (to me). Something about the colors, the pacing, etc.

I probably have dozens more but the line between cult and well-known is blurred when talking to movie fanatics like you guys. I’d probably just get an eye roll for obvious choices.

6 Likes

Walter Koenig, Bruce Campbell, dodgy special effects, gore, uncomfortable “romance,” witty one liners…this one’s got it all. Had the VHS for years, then flipped my wig when they released a blu-ray with extras.

“Origin…Prometheus Crater…Prometheus Crater…Prometheus Crater…”

(I would have used another quote, but it’s naughty. :laughing:)

5 Likes

That movie is almost good. It just needed a little tweaking.

3 Likes

There are films that went from Cultish to a broader acceptance, for sure. Phantom of the Paradise might be considered too obvious these days, but I’d argue it qualifies because it’s unique, odd, and it definitely fits under the ‘good to great’ header.

10 Likes

I caught Svankmajer’s Faust on telly in my early teens. Mind. Blown.

4 Likes

So I saw a midnight screening of this film the year it came out, at the Leeds Film Festival. It might have been the first screening in the Uk, in any event Tom Six was there to intro it and he was in a full mode - fedora, leather trench coat and sun glasses and he just kept banging on about how the human centipede design was “100% Medically Accurate”. Very performative. Haven’t seen the film since, never seen the sequels.

3 Likes

Two challenging films which certainly aren’t for everyone are Calvaire and Sheitan. Of the two I like Calvaire more, and recommend it more highly, but both are worth at least one viewing if this kind of thing is your cuppa. Their summaries make them sound conventional horror fare, but they are more complex and psychological than that.

1 Like

I haven’t been able to get through Phantom of The Paradise in one sitting…

2 Likes

I just saw this – it was the final movie of the Shudder Elvira marathon on Saturday night. I thought the theater scene was especially creepy. However I could not take any of it seriously because of the man’s ultra-70’s hair. You know the guy I mean.

4 Likes

I’m disappointed that this one isn’t better known. It’s a rather beautiful adaptation of a story originally in Metal Hurlant (known in the US as Heavy Metal).

Immortal Ad Vitam

2 Likes

My mom LOVED this movie. Saw it way more times than a 6-7 year old probably should have!

4 Likes

And to wrap up my run of deeply unpopular suggestions for today :wink: … it’s my favorite Buñuel film.

The Exterminating Angel

6 Likes

How about Alphaville? Sci-fi with no effects or anything but 20th century technology (standing in for sci-fi technology)

7 Likes

jesus of montreal

3 Likes

Love Alphaville, one of Godard’s best films (along with Weekend). Sci-noir with social critique that easily sits alongside works by Stanislaw Lem and JG Ballard.

5 Likes

Oh wow. I remember seeing this a couple of years after it came out, when I was in college. (I think I got the DVD out of the bargain bin or something.) I loved it but haven’t watched it since.

3 Likes

A couple of older films that are great but have never gotten a lot of respect:

The Night of the Hunter, shot with a touch of German expressionism, staged like a child’s nightmare. The only film directed by Charles Laughton, when he was auditioning for the antagonists’ role he said he was looking for “a diabolical sh!t.” Eventual winner Robert Mitchum replied, “Present!”

Million Dollar Legs, an early W.C. Fields film where he didn’t even get top billing. Too bizarre for the Marx Bros., the script went to Fields playing a corrupt strongman president and just plain strong man. It includes Ben Turpin as a spy, a messenger running around in a goat skin, a cut-rate Mata Hari and the Olympics. Hilarity ensues.

9 Likes

I’m actually amazed anyone else here has seen Million Dollar Legs. I think it’s ingenious. Far better than Duck Soup, and I love Duck Soup. It’s really hard to find a copy of, but I do have one.

Night of the Hunter is also a terrific film. The dreamlike quality of the whole thing is unique.

6 Likes

It was the first Fields film I ever saw. It used to show up occasionally Saturday afternoons on a local TV station.

3 Likes