"Missed" riff opportunities

I was very surprised that there was no “Boom in the shot!” riff in Clonus during the scene when the retired reporter Jake Noble meets Walker and his son by the pool (the “Napoleon imitator” scene).

4 Likes

I’ve always kind of assumed the pauses and missed opportunities were kind of an invitation for the “audience” to engage with the film. I know that each new season sees the riffs coming at a faster pace, so this theory doesn’t necessarily hold up. But there it is… That said, I feel like the Gamera films are intentionally kept separate from Godzilla references(?)

6 Likes

I like this saying more.

3 Likes

There is. When she’s doing her big dance number (for which she also got a choreographer credit) there’s a quick “Oh Ricky, you’re so fine…” riff.

But, yeah. There have been a few times throughout the series (and occasionally in Rifftrax) where I’ve seen what seemed like an obvious opportunity go by unremarked. I’m having trouble remembering specific examples offhand, though.

8 Likes

That’s just me being an idiot, then … I had it in my head they never mentioned it, but I’ll go back and give it a listen.

I stand by the Carol Cleveland thing, though. That’s just so in their wheelhouse.

5 Likes

Something I wanted to shout out during the 2018 tour when they were riffing Deathstalker 2.

Whenever they did their Deathstalker song, I was begging the hosts to sing “He tried…to kill…me with a forklift…Deathstalker!”

4 Likes

David Carradine’s character in Wizards of the Lost Kingdom II is named only as The Dark One, which is also the name of the Big Bad from Robot Holocaust, I thought that was worth at least a brief callback. Then again, maybe it was in the part of the movie that leaked out before it was flushed to the SoL

9 Likes

I think they worked in something of a subtler riff on Corman when Servo said “You’re over budget!” after Corman popped up on a monitor during the movie.

6 Likes

They might have made the Hawk jokes back in ‘Deathstalker and the Warriors From Hell’ since he was the bad guy in that. Been a while so I can’t be certain.

4 Likes

On a loosely related note, did RiffTrax do any Veronica Mars riffs in the Hobgoblins live show? I’ve never watch it myself, but I’m given to understand that the guy who portrays the Club Scum M.C. had a recurring role on that show.

3 Likes

Two missed riffs:

1. In Laserblast as Billy is walking through the house looking for Kathy, he picks up an apple and I really really wanted them to say, “Want some?” calling back to Daddy-O.

2. In Killers from Space (Film Crew), at the very end of the movie, in the power station, one of the guys on duty who tries to stop Peter is none other than our very own Coleman Francis! And not a mention. Not even just a “Hey, it’s Coleman Francis!” :slight_smile:

7 Likes

Reptilicus. Every time I see this guy I expect a Miguel Ferrer reference that never comes.

4 Likes

Since Jeff Gillen (Fats in Wild Rebels) was the Santa Claus in A Christmas Story, a, “You’ll shoot your eye out,” riff whenever they handled guns would have been fitting.

10 Likes

The only one I can think of offhand is during the end fight of Devil Doll, among the old timey carnival photos on the wall is that of a husky woman with curly hair and heavy makeup. I’m too lazy to look up the dates, but if The Drew Carey Show was on at that time, there definitely would’ve been a Mimi reference there.

3 Likes

Rifftrax Galaxy Invader
I couldn’t believe that they didn’t make a Zappa joke during the Scene at Joe’s garage :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

A few episodes later in Time Chasers, I believe it’s Crow who says something to the effect of “Drew Carey’s nemesis Mimi survives the apocalypse…”

4 Likes

I didn’t have any specific riffs/references in mind, but for some odd reason, it just kinda confuses me that the riffers didn’t really jump more at the lyric “Sideburns don’t need your sympathy” in The Beatniks.

That line is so bizarre and inexplicable, and it’s like you’re waiting for one of the riffers to go, “Ah, yes, sideburns don’t need sympathy, I can see why- THE HELL?”

7 Likes

I was bummed there were no Down Periscope jokes during The Land Time Forgot. It’s a great movie and Patton Oswalt was in it! (Granted he only had like one line but still.)

3 Likes

Whenever they don’t reference something in a movie riff, I add them when I riff along with the show.

A couple things I wish they thought of:

In Mac & Me, the mom’s played by Christine Ebersole, who was in the 1st full season of SNL produced by the oddly similarly named Dick Ebersol, Eddie Murphy era. As a long-time SNL fan, of course I make plenty references.

In the new era in general, I’m always wishing they’d make a riff on Craig Ferguson’s old Late Late Show robot skeleton Geoff Peterson whenever a skull or skeleton shows up in a movie. Just one “in your pants!” in his voice.

4 Likes

Beverley Garland spends lots of time in Gunslinger looking exhausted. I keep channeling one of those ridiculous 1970s hair care ads and calling out, “Final Net™ holds up longer than you do!”

When Fu Manchu’s daughter cries, “Father!” I think of Sylvester The Cat’s bratty son and add, “You promised to bring me a mouse, Father!!”

9 Likes