MST movies that you genuinely like

Smart too. She got rich investing in real estate. There’s a hotel in Los Angeles that bears her name. https://www.thegarland.com/

8 Likes

Gorgeous place! Love all the mid-century touches as well. I may have to stay there next time I’m on that side of the continent.

5 Likes

I’ll go so far as to add Teenage Caveman.

Yes, the cast is a bit ludicrous and it’s cheap as heck. But darned if the twist ending doesn’t kind of work.

7 Likes

Blood Waters of Dr. Z. Not because it’s GOOD, exactly, but because it is so unapologetically a mad scientist horror flick. “They all laughed at me, but I’ll show them all when I turn myself into a giant fish monster!” It’s got big sciency machines, and a platform that people have to be strapped to to become fish-people, and that wonderful rambling voiceover. It checks off each box with confidence and glee, and I respect that.

13 Likes

So, you know, I’ve got that to look forward to, tomorrow! (Yay! Livestream!)

4 Likes

I just found this the other day—thought you might enjoy if you haven’t seen it yet.

5 Likes

I remember really liking Mac and me when I was a kid, The Brain That Wouldn’t Die, Jack Frost, Incredible Melting Man, and The Clonus Horror are a few I would watch on their own if they were streaming somewhere.

7 Likes

Hi everyone! First time posting. Forgive me if this one’s been mentioned already, but I genuinely, unironically love Godzilla vs. Megalon. A lot of other Godzilla fans dislike it because it’s a bit of ridiculous, cost-cutting, sugar rush pandering to eight year olds…to which I’d counter that it is, in fact, an incredibly good version of that. The pacing is among the best in the Showa era films and the fights, when they happen, are legitimately well-structured and energetic, something even the other good Godzilla films from the era can have difficulty with (I’d die on a hill for Godzilla vs. Hedorah, but its final battle certainly takes a bit of patience at times). It’s the Godzilla film I’d turn to simply for a good time with friends after I’d introduced them to the original Japanese masterpiece, and I’m fairly certain there’s a huge amount of cultural nostalgia for it among B-movie lovers for a reason: it deserves it.

14 Likes

First Spaceship on Venus is actually pretty decent in a proto-Star Trek kind of way. (Didn’t one of the bots like it too?)

It’s badly dated of course, but is still pretty effective and entertaining for what it is.

11 Likes

While they give Corman a lot of flack (and he has cranked out his share of stinkers), I think It Conquered the World and The Undead are genuinely good movies. But then my first Corman film was Fall of the House of Usher, so I have a more favorable impression of him.

10 Likes

I’ve always felt that Quest of the Delta Nights is the kind of movie I would have borrowed from the library on VHS as a kid and enjoyed.

But as far as genuine enjoyment as an adult, I agree that Tormented is a decent film. I’d also add Girls Town.

12 Likes

His version of Masque of the Red Death is quite exellent as well. Recently picked up the new Blu-ray remaster of that.

12 Likes

Come to think of it… Zombie Nightmare was basically like the 80s version of I Know What You Did Last Summer… In that it’s about a group of teens who killed someone in a hit and run, and then get killed off one by one… (Mixed with a bit of Child’s Play for the voodoo/revenge beyond the grave aspect…)

8 Likes

Oh boy, my wife thinks of my hobby/obsession of bad and campy movies is just something that is there to cause her small amounts of grief, but I genuinely like movies that involve pseudoscience and misconceptions of bygone erras.

For this reason my favorite MST3K movie that I have seen and own a copy of outside of the Mst3k version is “The Killer Shrews”

9 Likes

Both Godzilla vs Megalon and Godzilla vs the Sea Monster. What can I say, the big G is king for a reason.

10 Likes

Jack Frost was a minor holiday classic back in the '70s. Like, kids watched it every year.

But, hey, I would’ve given Laserblast 2 1/2 stars…

6 Likes

It sorta was, in the hands of Nicholas Ray: Johnny Guitar.

5 Likes

Nice to meet you, Mr. Maltin. How do you feel about Joe Don Baker movies?

9 Likes

This reminds me: I have Shudder for Joe Bob but I’m watching all these old (anywhere from 25-80 years old, I mean) horror flicks and I’m blown away by how great the prints are. Old, Dark House, Humanoids from the Deep, and I saw Masque on it and it was beautiful.

In fact, they have the original Little Shop of Horrors and I was sorta bummed because it still looks and sounds awful. (I love that movie but man it’s hard on the senses.)

5 Likes

If it’s only small amounts of grief, you’re doing it wrong. :smirk:

5 Likes