Open Thread for a Magical Community Viewing of Merlin's Shop of Mystical Wonders

“All of me here at Synthia’s Selects” slays me every time.

6 Likes

Good fun folks, thanks for sharing this time!

5 Likes

And Synthia and GPC to close out this fun evening!

3 Likes

Time to go read… a BOOK
do do DO do do DO

4 Likes

Good night all! Great fun

2 Likes

Another successful Friday night in the bag! And we’re only half in the bag! :smiley:

4 Likes

Loved the hell out of this, folks.

Thank you all for making this so much fun!

(YOU’RE WELCOME!)

hey, who said that

4 Likes

Soundtrack for this weekend :slight_smile:

5 Likes

See y’all next week for the show that’ll be my birthday weekend show, wooooo! :tada::birthday:

4 Likes

Oh, that’s right! :smiley:

Happy early birthday / new MST3K day!

3 Likes

Another successful synchronized watch-along!

Enjoyed every minute of this! This weekly opportunity to watch episodes new and classic with fellow fans is such a treat!

Gizmoplex Forever!

7 Likes

I agree that Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders does move at a very brisk pace. I think it’s because it feels very TV-show like (The stitched-together TV episode experiments also move just as quickly).

The riffing was fire and very sharp here!

4 Likes

It wasn’t the intent at the time, because Team MST3K couldn’t possibly have known how things were going to play out, but it really all worked out for the best that this was the last new episode of the Sci-Fi era to hit the airwaves.

Merlin’s Shop of Mystical Wonders was actually supposed to be the third broadcast episode of Season 10, but the gang ran into some kind of rights snafu and had to air the episode AFTER the series finale, Diabolik.

I had trouble revisiting Diabolik because of all the emotional resonance connected to that episode. I taped the episode off TV, but I couldn’t return to that very often. (I believe this may have been the case for others.) But to have Merlin’s Shop hit the Sci-Fi Channel a little while after Diabolik? It worked. It felt like a drama-free dose of hilarity, and after MST3K ended, you were glad to have that.

4 Likes

Aw, I missed it all. I’ll admit, this movie is far from one I’d voluntarily watch, but I would have made the exception to do it with all of you.

7 Likes

For whatever it’s worth, we would’ve been glad to have had you onboard for this episode, @wyswysia - cheers!

4 Likes

Definitely for me. Between 1999 and 2017, it was one of the most lightest watched episodes in my collection.

It was admittedly just that little bit weird when it was announced they had another one to show after the end (Diabolik was a rollercoaster of emotions. For real), but it didn’t take long for the familiar comfort to settle in and I had a great time with Merlin’s Shop!

3 Likes

Indeed. Not because of episode quality, though, because the riffing and host segments were outstanding.

But yeah, I was reluctant to rip the Band-Aid off THAT particular owie.

Once we got the start of the Jonah era? Suddenly, that episode became much easier to watch.

You never really had that happen with the Sci-Fi era, no. The only two weird things that happened were the garbled audio for the premiere of The Projected Man, and Gorgo getting broadcast for one day only before disappearing from the channel’s roster.

But Merlin’s Shop? Gawd, that was a much needed bit of relief, that.

3 Likes

Hate that I missed it. Hope everyone had fun.

Hopefully make it live for Demon Squad. :+1:

4 Likes

Thanks for showing up everyone who could, and everyone who couldn’t, we’ll catch you for the next one! :smiley: I love doing this every Friday with y’all, so see you in a little under a week! :heart:

5 Likes

Nature or nurture? :thinking:

Is his duchiness inherited or learned?

2 Likes