Random, Pointless Lists

Note from the forum…

"The last reply to this topic was 7 months ago. Your reply will bump the topic to the top of its list and notify anyone previously involved in the conversation.

Are you sure you want to continue this old conversation?"

I do, it’s time to resurrect the thread with a list of my favorite Jesus’s in film (since I just watched a couple Jesus’ on film today).

Robert Powell in “Jesus of Nazareth” (and yes that’s Lovejoy as Judas) - a most beautiful and serene Christ

Ted Neely in “Jesus Christ Superstar” - shows us a human, vulnerable side

Colin Blakely in “Son of Man” - was he of God, or a madman? Blakely plays him as a little bit of both, it’s as if that whatever spiritual power is inside of him, is more than a mere mortal body and mind can handle.

Happy Jesus in Bunuel’s “The Milky Way”, played by Bernard Verley (BTW, Edith Scob of “Eyes Without a Face” fame played Mary)

Donald Sutherland in “Johnny Got His Gun”

Willem Dafoe, “The Last Temptation of Christ”

Enrique Irazoqui as unibrow Marxists, Italian Jesus in Pasolini’s “The Gospel According to St. Matthew” - is he a fave Jesus? It’s been a while since I’ve seen the film, I do remember it as a goodie.

The Passing of the Third Floor Back… while Conrad Veidt seems as unlikely a Christ figure as Dafoe or Sydow, he’s pretty damned incredible. Veidt’s unnamed stranger is a contrast of power and peace. There’s a gentleness in him, but also strength. He’s commanding, even when passive. Human, but otherworldly.

Bonus - funniest scene with Jesus in a movie

Kenneth Colley in “Life of Brian”

2 Likes