Stew of the Moon Beast!

After I discovered the internet had a few recipes for Johnny Longbow’s “chicken, corn, green peppers, chili, sigh, onions…” I opted to leap in with one of my own. I used the one suggested at The Herbeevore as a template, but I changed it up a little. I live in Texas, so southwest cooking is nothing new to me, and the result of this first attempt is tasty but a little mild for my tastes.

Ingredients

• 2 pounds ground turkey
  • 1 large sweet onion, diced
  • 2 bell peppers, diced (I used one green, one orange)
  • 2 zucchini, cut into quarters and then sliced into pie-wedge shapes
  • 28 oz (one big can or 3 small cans) Ro-Tel Original diced tomatoes and green chilis
  • 15 oz (one can) corn (I used H-E-B brand Gold and White)
  • 15 oz (one can) black beans (I used H-E-B brand black beans with lime juice and jalapeno)
  • Lots of adobo seasoning (I used La Comadre Adobo Completo)
  • Canola oil (“enough”)
  • About 2 Tbsp Better than Bouillon, roasted chicken flavor

Instructions

1. Take a large soup pot (or, better yet, Dutch oven). Put it on the stove at medium-high heat and add just enough oil to cover the bottom.
  2. Add the chopped zucchini and sprinkle with a light-to-moderate dusting of adobo seasoning. Cook for about 4 minutes or until starting to brown.
  3. Remove, set aside. Turn the heat to medium. Add a little more oil, then add the onion and bell peppers and give them the same treatment: sprinkle with seasoning and stir around for 5-7 minutes until the onion is translucent.
  4. Remove, set aside. Add a little more oil, then the ground turkey. Sprinkle with seasoning, break up with wooden spoon. Stir occasionally and cook until brown.
  5. Add the Ro-Tel, corn, black beans, all the cooked veggies, enough water to cover the whole thing (for me in my huge pot that ended up being only about 3 cups), and bouillon.
  6. Bring to a boil, cover, set to low heat, simmer for at least 15 minutes.
  7. Devour like the moon beast you are. I did what Herbeevore suggested and dumped it over rice; that’s fine. You could also just eat it like soup.

If I do this again, I might add fresh chilis, maybe even some New Mexico green chile, but I found the result tasty enough that I plan to eat the whole pot, uh, eventually. I suspect it’ll be even better tomorrow.

I went for turkey over chicken because turkeys are native birds – also because I love cooking with ground turkey a lot more than I do shredded chicken breast. The shreds have a tendency to drip soup all over my shirt.

11 Likes

There are probably more versions of this stew on this site now than there are Kaiju in Japan (and Korea), and I totally support that. :yum:

4 Likes

Okay, but where does the sigh come in?

Also, welcome to the forums!

3 Likes

When you can’t eat another bite, of course.

Welcome, @tinctures ! I’m looking forward to giving this recipe a try!

5 Likes

Welcome! Love the hedgehog :hugs:

6 Likes

Welcome to the forum, and thanks for the recipe!

1 Like

I made that recipe too and liked it. Next time, I’ll have to get tortilla chips like Tostitos to go with that.

1 Like