The Curious Case of Awful Movies with Great Soundtracks

Batman Forever. Okay, the U2 and Seal songs are overrated. But can you name any other soundtrack with bangers by Method Man, Brandy, Michael Hutchence, Flaming Lips and The Offspring?

2 Likes

The worse follow up had Bone Thugs, Smashing Pumpkins, Jewel and R Kelly before we knew what a creep he was.

1 Like

Godzilla was good with the exception of the murder of Kashmir by this guy.
P Diddy Smiling GIF by VH1 Hip Hop Honors

1 Like

Krull’s soundtrack is undoubtedly top notch James Horner stuff. He was in demand at this point in time and did a lot of great stuff … including the unforgettable soundtrack for Wrath of Khan. Krull’s soundtrack is fantastic in its own right though and has the grand sweeping moments (like the opening theme & the Firemares) as well as creepy operatic moments (Beast’s theme and the Black Fortress) as well as pathos (Widow of the Web). It runs a gamut of styles and it manages to pull the movie along despite itself at times. I’d argue Krull also had some great cinematography, good practical effects for its day, and a stellar secondary cast. David Battley as Ergo the Magnificent was a great choice, but Freddy, Robbie Coltrain (Hagrid), and Liam Neeson … the secondary cast was A level.

The two things that really drag Krull down are (A) Ken Marshall was not a good lead actor (though competent) and (B) the plot was pretty episodic and at times forced (such as with Colwyn and Lyssa’s instant love and the Deus Ex Machina of their magic love flamethrower). Honorable bad plot mention goes to the Glaive not playing a more central part in defeating the Beast and surviving the encounter.

But my vote for the best EVER soundtrack to go along with a sub-par movie?

Gotta go to Basil Poledauris’ Conan the Barbarian. The movie is dull as dirt and plods along at a snail’s pace with not much plot to speak of. But music? Man the soundtrack to this movie would make me watch paint drying.

4 Likes

Prince Yes GIF

1 Like

The Hackers soundtrack has a lot of good 90s dance music plus one of my favorite Squeeze songs.

For some reason, the Squeeze song isn’t on that playlist.

1 Like

steve martin q GIF

Sorry Arnold. Last Action Hero (1993). Fabulous songs and score to a movie less than its music.

1 Like

City of Angels (1998). Blockbuster tunes to a hit movie. The tracks are stronger than the story.

The Beach (2000). Unique pic whereas the audio holds much of its power.

Trick or Treat (Fastway - If You Could See)

Shocker (Bonfire - Sword and Stone)

Judgement Night (Faith No More & Bo–Yaa Tribe - Another Body Murdered)

2 Likes

I’ll count Man from Atlantis (1977-1978) as a movie, because the first four episodes as they stream now are really 2-hour TV movies. I was struck by how lovely the soundtrack was. The composer Fred Karlin is listed as doing mostly clock-punching TV work, with a handful of movies like Westworld and Futureworld thrown in.

Man from Atlantis is a weird project. They obviously spent a lot of budget and effort on the first four movies. The soundtrack and underwater miniature FX are top notch, but the plots and dramatic scenes are total flat TV fodder. Cheese level peaks when they film a fight scene on an alien spacecraft in sloooow moootion to try to convince the audience it’s happening underwater.

1 Like

I liked Under the Cherry Moon.

1 Like

I actually like Halloween III but it’s not so much a good movie as an audaciously weird and mean-spirited movie (even for horror) that is also kind of fun to watch and John Carpenter does a killer soundtrack.

1 Like

Can I chuck the Tron sequel in?

Crappy CGI, a plot that’s…urgh

but it’s got a great soundtrack.

3 Likes

The orchestral score from Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves. Michael Kamen for the win! Kevin Costner for the loss!

1 Like

Daft Punk (R.I.P.) FTW!

3 Likes

I’m probably in a minority who thinks the latest Batman film sucked, but I have to admit Michael Giacchino’s score is amazing.

2 Likes

It … wasn’t GREAT, but it wasn’t BAD I would say. The main problem is that it was too long and didn’t stay focused. If they’d cut the thing down to about 90 to 100 minutes and kept the plot nice and tight on the Riddler scheme then it would have been a better movie. But a 3 hour run time. Geesh … it dragged.

2 Likes