The Star Wars appreciation thread- Lucas Era...

you should be captivated by it from the first moment you hear the remixed theme with the jedi star fighters zipping around. that got me…and that moment felt like ‘this really is the end, isn’t it?’

if you ignore the bad romance of clones, sith is far more watchable.

2 Likes

Chocolate YooHoo is the best YooHoo. If, like, you have to drink YooHoo.

1 Like

I like Ian McDiarmid’s Palpatine, but prequel era Palpatine quite a bit of the time felt like if he had a mustache, he’d be twirling it.

4 Likes

of course! He was planning a 30 year plan then! he should have had a fidget squeezer, or whatever those anxiety th ings are called

4 Likes

If it weren’t for the prequels, we wouldn’t have the hilarious line, “only the Sith deal in absolutes.”

3 Likes

and “I hate sand”

7 Likes

Or the Anakin / Padme meme, which almost makes that entire painful romance worthwhile.

You aren’t wrong, but I’d be lying if I said I don’t enjoy that. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

My all metal R2 money pit :).

8 Likes

It’s beautiful! How many years you been building it?

1 Like

I said “Seagulls… mmhm stop it now!”

5 Likes

Spent about 2 years saving money and w aiting on parts. he got done sometime around 2013. So almost 10 now.

5 Likes

The way I look at Star Wars is simple, "Oh there is something new? take a look does it interest me? Yes, I watch/read it. No, I skip it. That would be the simple reason I have watched the Holiday Special and haven’t watched Solo.

If I read or watch it, did I enjoy it? Yes, and maybe I’ll watch/read again. No, I just live with it and move on. Heir to the Empire, read multiple times, Shadow of the Empire… lost interest never finished.

Oh this book that I really liked is no longer canon… Oh well stuff like that happens all the time. I loved the entire run of the X-Wing Rogue/Wraith books. They are legacy now? OK, that has zero effect on my prior or future enjoyment of them.

//RANT// I firmly understand that it sucks if this character or storyline someone really likes gets changed, but these things happen. Don’t like it and want to complain… go ahead, nothing wrong with constructive conversation, and worst case, I worked in a comic shop for 5 years, I’m used to tuning that stuff out when I need to. Only thing I can’t stand is when somebody who feels they are a quote/unquote “true fan” and belittles or tries the gatekeep “Their thing” from “False Fans” just cause you don’t like it doesn’t mean some one who does is a lesser fan than you.

Like what you like. I feel the Original Movies are still top tier Sci-fi and remain the goto Star Wars when I want to watch Star Wars. While I found the Prequels to be ok and overall better than the Rey Trilogy, I actually find I would rather rewatch those ones… (I have never had a true Star Wars fanboy moment watching one of the movies for the first time until Wedge showed up over Exegol)

Now then, can I please have my Black Series pilot suit Kettch Figure??? Yub yub.

4 Likes

My wife and I seem to be the only people who saw Rogue One and didn’t like it. I thought it was dull and the premise of electronic plans being in a single location without any backups is ludicrous.

2 Likes

2 Likes

In all fairness, Star Wars villains aren’t always known for their foresight.

4 Likes

I like the original trilogy… before George Lucas went back and tinkered with them. Yes, the special effects are better, but I don’t think any real substance was added. And I hate that he went back and put Hayden Christiansen in for Anakin. Neither Obi-Wan nor Yoda reverted to a younger version of themselves. Why would Anakin? Makes no sense and I found Hayden’s Anakin more annoying than anything.

I never had any problem with the Ewoks. I thought they were fine, although I agree that going to Kashyyk would have been cool.

I did not care for the prequels, mostly because George Lucas ignored his own canon and it does feed into the original trilogy very well. There were moments I enjoyed, but they didn’t appeal to me. I waited in line for the first one… and none of the others. I watched the first of the Disney movies and I didn’t like it so I didn’t bother with the others and from what I’ve read about them, I didn’t miss much.

I read some of the novels, but I stopped reading them in the early 2000s. I read the Thrawn trilogy and enjoyed them. There were a few others that I really liked. I might still have them, but I don’t remember their titles now. :slight_smile:

And one last thing…

Han shot first!

2 Likes

I think Lucas overdid the Ewoks, though. Like did we really need two spinoff movies, a cartoon, and an ice show based off of that cartoon?

3 Likes

I didn’t watch any of those, so I never got overloaded on them. :smiley:

1 Like

Being born in 1979 and having a recording of the original as long as I’ve had memory, there’s never been a time I’ve never known of Star Wars. I would play the tape so much it risked breaking. I knew of Empire Strikes Back but it took a while to get a copy (we were stationed overseas and had to rely on the local stores to have them shipped from America). Return of the Jedi was the only one I saw in theaters during its run. All three I watched endlessly. I enjoyed the cartoons Droids and Ewoks (though being a stickler for continuity even as a kid, it was hard to resolve when both cartoons took place and why the Ewoks could now speak English), and saw Battle for Endor but not Caravan of Courage (same issues with language & continuity).

During the latter half of the 80s, Star Wars seemed to go out of fashion as other blockbusters gained favor, and while I liked them a lot (Back to the Future is arguably THE perfect trilogy and should never be revisited in a film), I couldn’t understand the low-key hostility for the Star Wars brand. Things started to change during the 90s when the films got several tape rereleases, video games began living up to what we wanted from them (especially on PC with the fantastic X-Wing & TIE Fighter games) and the EU books of that era were THE continuation of the series we wanted, especially the de facto sequel trilogy from Timothy Zahn: The Thrawn Trilogy. From here, a lot of the world was fleshed out, giving us a believable continuation of the films. Han & Leia were married and had kids. Luke finally received a romantic (non-familial) partner. Characters lived, died, and lived again. Heck, remember the Shadows of the Empire experiment? That was a book, a comic, a video game, action figure line, EVEN A SOUNDTRACK that all came together to adapt a film that didn’t exist, just to see if Star Wars was still popular. And it was…oh was it ever.

When we got the Special Editions in 1997, it felt so great. I remember the theatrical trailers for this, showing a tiny screen on the film screen, a tinny mono narration: “For an entire generation, people have experience Star Wars the only way it’s been possible: on the tv screen. But if you’ve only seen it this way, you haven’t seen it at all”, and then Wedge’s X-Wing bursting forward to fill the entire theater screen, and from there the promise of full remastered footage direct from the restored negative, deleted scenes restored, new scenes filmed, and new effects that could not be done in 1977. Sure, the controversies over Jabba & Han Shooting After Greedo (with the worse head shift effect) and the overloaded CGI effects came after…but they couldn’t dull what we were seeing: Star Wars back in theaters. All three classics restored, proving to all that the series would always find its audience. It seemed the franchise couldn’t get any better…

…until the following year when The Phantom Menace trailer premiered. Never before had a theatrical trailer been so anticipated, so important to see, and so exciting that people either paid full ticket price for a film they walked out on after the trailers OR spent hours downloading from the 15.5k baud modem to play on the barely-working QuickTime platform just to see it. Just to know it was real. Every single solitary frame of that trailer was scoured, every line evoking questions of meaning, every action postulated and pondered. Tribute videos and recreations were made of that trailer (I personally enjoyed the South Park ones…man, 1998 meant South Park had only been on for a single season…that’s MIND BLOWING!). I’ve posited that between the teaser trailer in 1998 and the film’s premiere in May 1999, that was the last time the ENTIRE fandom of Star Wars was universally united. Regardless if you were old enough to see the originals in 1977 or if you saw everything at home, there was no division, no animosity between fans. If you loved Star Wars in any fashion, you were going to see The Phantom Menace in theaters.

And since then, it’s been irreparably fractured. Most of us stuck it out through Attack of the Clones and Revenge of the Sith, either out of genuine love for those films or merely out of obligation to see the series to completion. But luckily it wasn’t all bad. Video games based on Star Wars were in full force (no pun intended) from the expected adaptations of the prequels, to a lot of genuine surprises like Pod Racers, Rogue Squadron, Knights of the Old Republic, and the original Battlefield games. We got two different Clone Wars cartoons: the short but sweet Genndy Tartakovsky series and the WAY longer, less well-received-initially but eventually redeemed CGI series. For those of us who grew up during the Original Trilogy, we either grudgingly accepted this era or weaped, gnashed our teeth, and rendered our clothing…metaphorically speaking, we merely bitched about it online. For those who grew up during THIS era, this was their childhood Star Wars, the movies made for them.

Perception of this era was inarguably mixed, but we can all agree that, good or bad, it was all under the creative supervision of one single man, the man who had the idea and made it his own, both in the face of adversity and absent of adversity. If there’s anything more epic and fascinating to watch and learn about than the Star Wars Saga, it’s the creation of that Saga and the man behind it. Love him or hate him, Lucas made the films he wanted to make, and they work together. It’s not perfect, but then that’s the kind of world that he was trying to build: one that wasn’t clean and pristine like the sci-fi that came before it: 2001, Star Trek, Rocky Jones, 12 to the Moon, etc. No, it was rough, it was coarse, at times even irritating, but it felt real. It felt fantastic but familiar, and no matter our entry point, it was ours to enjoy, alone or together.

Star Wars. I definitely appreciate it. Thank you, won’t you?

7 Likes

That’s Brock Peters (1927-2005) of S.S.T.: Death Flight fame. I like him very much.

4 Likes