Trace & Kevin on Jonah's Podcast - MST3K: The Movie (2021)

Unsure if this was ever shared here — early last year, Jonah did an episode of his podcast “Let Me Watch Your Movie With You” that guest-starred Trace Beaulieu and Kevin Murphy. The episode is designed as a running commentary for MST3K: The Movie and has a lot of insight about the production’s tumultuous history.

Some awesome anecdotes here, including the fact Jonah’s favorite riff/episode is The Movie itself. Plus, it is AWESOME to hear the current co-host of MST3K share stories with, and ask questions for, the actors he grew up watching.

Here is the podcast in question, if you haven’t yet heard it.

To anyone who listened before or is listening now, what did you think? I personally think it’s awesome seeing the current and former casts interacting this way, and that there’s so much mutual respect and support there.

EDIT: It also shows how difficult things were for Trace near the end of his run. He and Kevin both wishing they asked Frank to come aboard for the movie was heartwarming.

14 Likes

Thanks for posting. I need to give this a listen!

1 Like

Oh funny, I was just listening to it before finding this, so far so good :slight_smile:

1 Like

The worst part of the movie is Frank’s absence. Dr. Forrester is a bully, and without someone to bully (or when he’s the bullied one himself) is just sad.

8 Likes

Yeah, I agree with that 100%.

May be an unpopular take, but I honestly wasn’t a fan of Pearl turning the bullying tables on Clay either, especially before Pearl became an awesome Mad in her own right. I know Clay getting his comeuppance is funny, and some Clay/Pearl moments were legit awesome. But I feel the joke just lost its appeal after a while.

5 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I remember going to see the movie in the theater back in '96; I think it was a limited run at the Brattle Theater in Cambridge, MA. The audience was pretty excited, and it was fun at first, but I remember feeling a little underwhelmed. Does that track? Haven’t seen it since then; didn’t even remember that it was Mike & not Joel.

2 Likes

I shared it early on, but like news headlines things need to be repeated to not lose relevance or be forgotten.

Today, I finally got around to treating myself to a copy of Maximum Overdrive that has commentary by one J. Rodrigues, Esq (fyi)

:nerd_face::facepunch:t3:

3 Likes

I remember at the time thinking it was a good, but not great episode. Over time it has really grown on me and become one of my favorites. Except for lonely Clayton. :cry:

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! Just finished listening to it! I realized towards the end that there was video of the movie playing as they were speaking…which made WAY more sense! But I thoroughly enjoyed the info and back stories they told!

1 Like

I generally am not a big fan of Dr. F… but man he is so much better than how he comes off in the movie.

1 Like

I can’t stand the season 7 mad segments… and I think Pearl is the GOAT.

2 Likes

I think Trace did the best he could. His performance is one of my favorite parts of the movie. But I can’t help but think it could have been so much better.

The fact the movie is shorter than most MST3K episodes is also a headscratcher. Kinda makes you wonder what kind of movie we’d receive if Universal didn’t demand so many changes. I think this episode does a lot to clarify that.

2 Likes

It’s especially disappointing if you’re familiar with the unedited (and actually not all that bad) This Island Earth, which definitely had a lot of potential missed.

2 Likes

the cut host segments are on youtube last I checked. Worth seeing.

2 Likes

As if I didn’t have enough podcasts to listen to already…but…I’m sold just based on the concept and the host. THANKS for sharing!!

3 Likes

Also, Servo was originally going to say “Bootsy Collins!”

That’s exactly how I felt when I first saw it back in the theaters. Just watched it again about 2 weeks ago and loved it so much. I definitely didn’t appreciate it at the time. I’d say check it out again if you can!

3 Likes

Does anyone have a working link for this episode? I’ve searched high and low and every site/podcast that I try to listen to for this says the show is no longer available or gives an error. :sob:

1 Like

@Gypsy77 I ran into the same issue after reading this thread a few days ago. Spotify is the only place I found that still has it.

2 Likes

Thanks for the heads up! Sadly, I went and checked and Spotify would not play it for me. Maybe you have to be a paying member? I just tried playing it for free.