What are you cooking?

Carnitas!

4 Likes

Flatbread is normally cooked on the stove, not in an oven.

I tried the electric griddle this evening, it worked OK, they got brown without burning, got the flaky layers, but it took a bit longer than it should and they were a bit dry. So, next time I’ll try to cover them somehow, that keeps english muffins from drying out so it should work for these. My electric griddle tops out at 425°F, looks like to do this right would need around 500°.

I do want to get them to work, the dough is so quick, just water, flour, and salt, roll it out thin, coat one side with butter, roll it up, make a spiral, and then roll it thin again.

2 Likes

Since carnitas were mentioned :yum:

This is a great home made tortilla recipe that I’ve made many times. The coconut oil is the key for flavor and keeping these pliable.

4 Likes

Haven’t had to try and make my own tortillas, for some reason they don’t put soy in them as much as all other breads, I think only one brand I’ve seen has it, the rest I can eat without having a reaction.

Naan is another one I might try to make, it’s been frustrating trying to buy that, even in the same brand year to year they go from having soy in it to not having any, then back to having it.

Looking up other flatbreads, I guess most are cooked on a skillet but some are baked. Technically pizza is a flatbread.

2 Likes

Ah, sorry, brain fart.

Mind went immediately to focaccia.

Sorry.

1 Like

A bacon/egg/cheese biscuit? But I only make those on Fridays.

…So, if it’s Friday, that must mean…

9 Likes

Well, yesterday, one of the bartenders gave me a chicken Caesar salad that apparently somebody didn’t want. It was good. Didn’t give me food poisoning, either, which is also good.

Polished that off when I got home with one and a half “family sized” containers of hummus and used some product called “Pretzel Crisps” as a delivery vehicle.

2 Likes

Mesquite chicken breasts cooking overnight in a crock pot with chicken broth for making chicken alfredo .
Mmm the house smells so goood :yum:

4 Likes

Just fixed these again. Except with the full-on salt because with temps getting so hot again, I need it to wake up my appetite.

Salad dressing: traditional French with balsamic vinegar, dijon mustard, garlic, etc.

Fruit: peaches instead of pears.

Cheese: REAL local Blue this time, from a block, damnit.

This is the most actual cooking I’ve done in months. Everything else has been things like peanut butter on crackers or a scrambled egg. Maybe I can get some kitchen-based verve back. :crossed_fingers:

4 Likes

I just put some lamb chops in a marinade for this evening: roasted Raj Masala* spice mix, salt, flat leaf parsley, a few dashes of lemon bitters and smoked rapeseed oil. I’m going to fry them at high heat and serve them with a couscous salad.

*coriander seed, cumin, garlic, fennel seed, clove, turmeric, Kashmiri chilli, ginger, fenugreek, desiccated coconut, star anise, asafoetida & cinnamon.

5 Likes

Breakfast melt…chopped hash browns, cheesy egg elote scramble, chorizo, sautéed onion, diced tomatoes, guacamole. Nom nom. Roomie added pickles to hers.

All vegan and GF.

7 Likes

And I may have posted this dish before, but my Pea Parm Risotto came out pretty much perfect tonight. And enough left over for arencini tomorrow morning.

6 Likes

Meh, as usual, I was pretty lazy.

A naan bread, with Kerrygold butter, black pepper, granulated garlic, some powdered cheese, and, in a real inspirational coup, a handful of shredded cheddar cheese.

It hit the spot!

Oh, and finished off a bottle of Slane “Special Edition” Irish whiskey. Supposedly the only thing special about it was it came in a neat box, and has a different label, and supposedly was aged in “Extra Virgin Oak” casks…no, I have no idea what that is, but I do like Slane whiskey, and that one was just fine.

1 Like

Tonight… leftovers and I’m fine with that

1 Like

Hormel Microwavable Bacon.

It was ridiculously cheap at the grocery store. Yes, I’ve microwaved regular bacon before without incident, and savored the precooked strips.

Only four strips per microwavable parcel? Each box comes with four parcels of four strips each! Do they think I am made of time?

After this round is done, I’m attempting the impossible: stacking two parcels of four strips and nuking the bejeebus out of it.

What could go wrong?

I don’t know!

/* Hmm…first four strips were not crispy, but I’ll eat 'em. Probably with some crackers. I stole the crackers from Ted Nelson. He deserved it!

Now the eight strip double stack…giving it extra time…waiting…OK. Note to self and warning to others. Don’t try to stack two plastic bags at once of microwavable bacon in your microwave.

Patience must have.

But it does work, somewhat. */

2 Likes

The world needs more bacon-centric dreamers like you.

4 Likes

French lentil salad from the Times cookbook. Just rinse and simmer your cup of lentils gently in a pot with a bayleaf, a few cups of water, a dash of salt, and an onion with two cloves in it. Until tender. Drain.

As they are cooling, stir in fresh-ground pepper and extra salt, if desired, wine vinegar, olive oil, and additional chopped onion. Serve at room temperature over lettuce. Top with slices of ripe avocado, fresh tomato, or if you’re feeling super decadent, roast duck.

This, plus baguette chunks and a little goat cheese, will be tonight’s dinner.

5 Likes

Yes, I DID do the proper stovetop version. Wholegrain bread with a very thin spread of mayo on the outside. Because it browns pretty well but burns less readily than butter. Thin extra-sharp Cheddar slices and a good spread of Dijon inside. Three minutes, then turn carefully for three minutes more. Do this twice. On medium-low, tweaking the flame as necessary but being very watchful.

Serve with tiny cute Kosher dills. (Your basic bread-and-butter slices would be great, too.)

I AM THE KITCHEN GOD!! (In other words, the sandwich didn’t turn black and the smoke alarm stayed mum.)

2 Likes

Pizza dough is out of the fridge after raising overnight. Will stretch it into two pan pizzas around 3pm… they’ll proof at 110f until 5-5:30.

In the meantime, made a batch of my garlic pepper jack biscuits for the first time in a long time.

Turned out great.

10 Likes

I bet those smell and taste great.

I should try the slow rise method for pizza dough someday, but I don’t plan meals ahead of time, so waiting a day once I’ve decided on pizza is a bit much, the 2 hours I spend making mine can be too long but that’s the minimum time for acceptable crust. :smile:

I’m finally trying english muffin dough with greek yogurt, should know in a few hours if they are better than what I get with my usual dough.

3 Likes