What are you cooking?

I made white chili last night! My stepmom’s recipe and one of my favorite foods. Mmmmmmm.

6 Likes

Today will be steak pie with chips and gravy.

Yesterday was greek style pasta bake (sans olives as I hate them).

6 Likes

I went to the Saturday market a couple of local train stops away for the first time in a while, as there have been a lot of weekend service disruptions for maintenance on that line over the last couple of months.
One thing I came back with was a hare leg which is currently in the slow cooker, to be served with steamed asparagus and goose fat-roast potatoes.
I also bought some venison faggots which I intend to chop up and stuff into pasta and a nice bit of pork loin that may get the Korean treatment.

4 Likes

Pies to take deer hunting. 2 pumpkin, 2 dutch apple, and a blueberry.

9 Likes

Okay!

Boiled Peanuts

So what I do is fill the crockpot to a little under the brim with roasted but unsalted peanuts, shell and all.

I add in half a cup to 3/4 a cup of salt, half a bottle of liquid smoke and then I’ll put in something like half a cup of old bay, or a bottle of texas pete, or really whatever mostly soluble sauce you feel like.

Once taste chemistry is over, fill to top with water and put it on high for like… ideally 12 hours but realistically youll want to have it soak for about a full day so just simmer overnight (or the water will boil away) and just keep readding water.

5 Likes

I’m out of town for Thanksgiving, but I’ll get cracking on that as soon as I get home. Thank you! :kissing_heart::pinched_fingers:

3 Likes

Super happy to spread boiled peanuts around, haha

3 Likes

BTW, is this thread a good place to talk about how much I hate it when people say “chef’s kiss”? If you’re speaking out loud, you can actually do the (smooch fingertips) thing. So WHY?!?!?!

4 Likes

Counterpoint: This looks like a combination that would get my lights punched out in north Jersey.

4 Likes

You gotta talk-a your way outta da punching widda promise to make-a da best-a sauce, just-a like-a Nonna’s. :kissing_heart: :pinched_fingers:

5 Likes

Now that you mention it, yeah dont do that to anyone in Pa either

3 Likes

And talking like that is mandatory, too? Lol

2 Likes

I mean … I heard it in Joe Mantegna’s voice when I read it. Totally checks out.

3 Likes

Do you throw the pies at the deer when they get close or merely lure them with pie?

4 Likes

I’d rather say, “Let’s Kiss” like Joel Robinson does in one of the Fugitive Alien movies, but people always take that the wrong way. [sigh]

2 Likes

Now I’m picturing deer and hunters in a pie fight like some Far Side cartoon looking for a caption.

9 Likes

Are you looking for a new tactic for this weekend?

3 Likes

Okay, I have poor impulse control so im asking here: hows NC these days? Is it still there?

2 Likes

Starting to get ready for Turkey Day -

Caramelizing some sweet onions for dressing tonight.

Roasted more garlic to use in some pizza sauces for pizza the Saturday after Turkey Day.

Made the sweet potato pecan pancake batter and froze it for either Turkey Day breakfast or breakfast on Saturday… family hasn’t told me what they prefer.

Made some more rum sauce for the pancakes and some fried bread puddin’ … (still have left-over bread puddin’ in the freezer to eat on Turkey Day and or Saturday)

Now I’m hungry again.

3 Likes

[quote=“FreemanLowell, post:1559, topic:15240, full:true”]

I was thinking that they recreate the pie throwing scene at the end of Blazing Saddles as a way of ending the hunt

3 Likes