What are you cooking?

Mmmmmm, Irish hot dish

2 Likes

Another agreement here with vinegar; used in moderation, it can lift a dull sauce without making it taste vinegary. Add small a amount, stir and taste. Repeat until you get where you need to be.
Balsamic vinegar (the decent stuff at least) is even better for this, with its more complex flavours. But tomato ketchup or brown sauce brings fruitiness as well as vinegar and sugar, so that’s also worth a shot.

2 Likes

That looks delicious. I made my own shepherd’s pie before elsewhere on this thread though I used ground beef instead.

2 Likes

I even won the perfect beverage to accompany them at the dartball tournament I’m currently playing in.

3 Likes

A pedant writes*: Shepherd’s Pie made with beef is Cottage Pie.

*types, actually

2 Likes

You beat me to it!!

2 Likes

Great Vaders think alike.

2 Likes

From scratch sauce.

Meat sauce

Pasta sauce with meatballs.

3 Likes

Been saving chicken bones, and cooked up a big ol’ pot of stock yesterday - got good extraction -

8 Likes

Devilled chicken livers with mole poblano. Just enough Cayenne pepper to be spicy, without overpowering the other flavours.

2 Likes

The remainder of the chicken livers were marinated in an oil, balsamic and mustard mix, before being briefly fried and the resultant juices mixed with a little cream for a rich sauce.

The last meal with all of us under one roof. Sesame baked chicken, steamed broccoli with butter, jasmine rice. One of our family’s comfort meals, I wonder how many times I’ve made this recipe. Blueberry muffins for breakfast, with last year’s crop of blueberries from the yard.

In 2000 we bought a set of Cuisinart Chefs Classic stainless cookware, still going strong. I tracked down all the pieces and put together a set for my daughter. Plus a few other things to send her off right. I’m going over for supper next weekend.

8 Likes

To Kentish Town (a North London suburb) this afternoon, a high street I hadn’t walked down for at least a decade.
It is now a a real mixture of old and new, tatty and swish. I made notes of the places I didn’t have time to check out, especially a long browse in the Owl Bookshop, finding out if the bhel puri and masala dosa at Babuji is any good and visiting the gelato shop that wasn’t the one I enjoyed today (a scoop each of pistachio and raspberry).
I returned home with venison chops, Cumberland sausage, chicken breasts, a tin of goose cassoulet, a couple of stinky cheeses, a pot of scallop rillettes, some jollof sauce and various vegetables.

The sausages are for tonight, along with vegetables roasted in maple syrup and parsley butter.

4 Likes

I lived in Kentish Town for awhile about twenty-five years ago. Now I feel old :frowning_face:

1 Like

My commute (until working from home took hold thanks to COVID) usually took me through Kentish Town, but I only really stopped there after a central London meet-up in a pub with mates.
I’d get off the Northern Line and buy a burger from the place with all the armoured glass, hoping I’d avoid food poisoning while waiting for a Thameslink train home.
I always look out for the goats at the city farm as the train passed, and they were looking in fine condition today.

2 Likes

I assume the only people allowed to live there have Kent-ish names: Kent, Ken, Kenneth, Kenny…

The flat where I lived was right next to train tracks. The whole place would shake on regular intervals. I remember that the locals hated the Northern Line and called it the “Misery Line.”

Personally, I loved it all.

2 Likes

The Thameslink train station is operational, but the tube station part is closed while they install new escalators.
In many first-world countries, this would be done quickly and efficiently. This being London with its ancient infrastructure, they closed the tube station last June and the current re-opening date (don’t hold your breath) is September 2024.

3 Likes

IMG_20240316_164541427

IMG_20240316_171737511

I made curry rice again, this time using the “hot” variety and it did have bite to it. I used potatoes along with shrimp and matchstick carrots.

7 Likes

Ooo! One of my faves! They have an extra hot version…but it doesn’t seem very extra hot. I still have to add some heat to it. But So-o-o-o-o tasty!!!