What are your comfort-food episodes?

The Fugitive Alien duology. Mighty Jack as well. Warrior of the Lost World.

7 Likes

I am referring specifically to the quartet of The Day The Earth Froze, Sinbad, The Sword and the Dragon and Jack Frost. Though, sometimes I subconsciously throw The Magic Sword in there too, since it has such a similar feel.

But if you like those films, there are some similar fantasy ones focusing on other fairy tales like The Snow Maiden and Vassilisa The Beautiful

9 Likes

ALL HAIL THE TRUCK FARMERS!

8 Likes

Maybe because it’s my first 2 episodes that I saw all the way through, but I’ll gleefully throw on Attack of the Giant Leeches and The Wild World Of Batwoman for some background noise

8 Likes

Thank god someone likes that one. Good news for Alternaversal. :grin:

4 Likes

I just watched Killer Fish for the first time last night, and it was hilarious. I don’t know about comfort food, but it will definitely go into future rotations.

6 Likes

I’ll admit, I didn’t get a lot of the humor of Starfighters until I moved to Iowa in my late 20’s (originally from Florida). And even then, it took moving to Nebraska to really get some of the jokes. (It’s living in a city vs living in a smaller town. I know a lot more farmers in Nebraska.)

5 Likes

Mine are:

Godzilla vs Megalon - watched it so many times in the grad student offices to add background noise while working that it’s an instansta-relax for me

Racket Girls/Samson vs the Vampire Women/Santo in the Treasure of Dracula - this is gonna be about wrestling?

The Undead - goofy and fun, it’s almost like a D&D campaign going sideways with an angry DM. I love the movie itself.

The Dead Talk Back - another movie I love for the film itself, and the jokes have become old friends that I sometimes pre-laugh at.

Jack Frost - when I need to pretend that good things do happen to good people. Plus, the film/costumes are gorgeous.

(Throw in a bonus Rifftrax) Hillbillys in a Haunted House - I saw this just after teaching a first-year course on the Civil War so especially Bill’s “I’m glad that ended before Sherman’s March” makes me laugh every time. I’m also a sucker for songs getting made fun of in general in MST3K/Rifftrax movies. Also, being from The South, some of the comments are on point.

12 Likes

The movie is soooo stank, I mean like stank stank, but it’s a great episode.

10 Likes

My favorite episodes of all time that I can watch over and over again are:

1. Space Mutiny
  2. This Island Earth
  3. Santa Claus
  4. Star Crash
  5. Overdrawn at the Memory Bank
9 Likes

I never considered this episode in that light. I rather like that.

7 Likes

In the early, early days of VCRs I had a paltry collection of about five movies. This was one of them, so seeing it on MST3K was magic. Dang shame they can’t re-release it officially now.

5 Likes

I never did see any of the Godzilla movies on Comedy Central. This one I got from a cough friend cough. I really wish I had all my old MST3K VHSs that I taped off of the TV, but at some point I was carting around VHSs from state to state with nothing to play them on. (Also had some Muppet specials that I’ve never seen anywhere except VHS that I used to play when sick.) I had hoped to be able to digitize them, but that never happened.

6 Likes

My current Comfort Food episode in The Day Time Ended. I think it is brilliant.

14 Likes

The Day Time Ended wasn’t one of my favorites the first time I saw it, but it’s grown on me.

8 Likes

It’s one of the most uniformly bizarre movies they’ve ever done, and I couldn’t be happier that they found such an oddball film.

There’s a great deal to love about the whole experience, from the “Concepts” song to the pizzeria running gag to the god-tier Tainted Love riff.

12 Likes

I tried so hard to watch the sequel but just couldn’t do it without the riffs. I’ll have to get someone to watch it with me so we can riff on it together.

6 Likes

I’m a fan as well. It’s such a hotchpotch of stuff that never, ever gels into a proper film, and thus perfect for MST3K. And mmm, steakmilk!

9 Likes

I’m absolutely with everyone here on everything Russo-Finnish, and with Overdrawn at the Memory Bank, which particularly reminds me of the kind of stuff that was always on at my grandmother’s house. Ditto Quest of the Delta Knights.

I find Time of the Apes to be a big one, since I specifically remember watching it with my mom and sister when I was 8 or 9. It’s also the first ep I showed my husband when I was converting him to Mstie, so last year he got me a Time of the Apes fuzzy blanket. Comfort food episodes are triple the comfort when they’re printed on fuzzy blankets.

13 Likes

Definitely a little envious of people who got to watch the show when they were kids. I was in my 30’s when I finally got access to Comedy Central.

7 Likes