What are your comfort-food episodes?

The only genuine talent in this film!

Whats Up Hello GIF by Bounce

6 Likes

Excellent selection! Yeah, the beachside shenanigans and the monster movie stuff… it really is a wonderful kick-back-and-relax episode.

7 Likes

Mmhmm… it does seem to play out like a nature/travel/documentary kinda deal at points, yeah!

That “here is our cast” thing at the end of the movie?

Love it to no end.

7 Likes

So, you basically want my top 100?

I’m trying to figure out the divide between comfort and favorite, because a favorite provides comfort. If I’m in a bad mood, what better way to brighten that up with the laugh factory that is Jack Frost? (my all-time #1)

But then all that does is make this another top 10 list. So I’ll focus on those outside the top 25, by season.

KTMA: The Last Chase
The riffing’s pretty good, but because the jokes during the KTMA season are on the lighter side in comparison, the movie really needs to be a breeze, and Chase is a good time, cheesy flick that puts me in my happy place.

Season 1: The Slime People
Project Moonbase is my #1 on the season as far as laughs - Moon, Zero Two, and Black Scorpion are comforting for sure. But Slime kind of falls under the radar, and I always have a good time watching it (what I can see of it through the fog). In the ACEG Mike called it the perfect type movie for MST3K.

Season 2: Godzilla vs the Sea Monster - 'nuff said

Season 3: Gamera vs Gaos
Also, The Amazing Colossal Man (though it’s in my top 50), because they were two favorites from my youth, they enchanted my young mind whenever they’d show up on Saturdays creature or sci-fi theaters on TV. That nostalgia created a special connection with the MST eps.

Season 4: Hercules and the Captive Women
Might not be the funniest Herc, or star the greatest Herc actor (that would be Steve Reeves) but I love Reg Park in this, he’s sleepy and apparently has an anus worth dedicating a whole day too.

Season 5: Operation Double 007
Tough one, Parents is one of my top 5 episode, sure, and despite the murder, The Painted Hill’s is a good mood experiment, but also in my top 10. Just outside the top 25 however is 007. 007 is groovy… groovy music, groovy clothes, even a groovy goatee. And groovy gets me high.

Season 6: High School Big Shot
Ha! Kidding… is there anything comforting in this gray, dark season, one that is filled with rape and murder and suicide and kidnapping and air force pilots pooping in their suits? Maybe Last of the Wild Horses, because it’s a rare western and for the “Mirror, Mirror” flip in the host segs and theater. Also I find the Dead Talk Back a low budget charmer.

Season 7: Everything here is aces, Blood Beast is a top 10er but would qualify as the most comforting episode.

Season 8: This season is so good and so many of my comfort eps rank high too. Aside from Strange Creatures, I’d say a lot of it is comforting. Frost, Chasers, Deadly Mantis, Riding With Death, Party Beach… season 8 might be one of the most comforting seasons of all.

Season 9: Space Children with Century 21 Calling
Our first sci-fi short and another movie from my youth.

Season 10: Track of the Moon Beast
Colorful characters and some top-notch riffing make this a comfort

Season 11: The Loves of Hercules
I agree, Cry Wilderness and Avalanche are modern classics, Yongary is fun, aside from the creature’s death throes. And Carnival Magic is a weird one to call comforting, but it is. But I always liked Herc episodes, and it was great having him back on MST. Speaking of which…

Season 12: Ator, the Fighting Eagle and The Day Time Ended
Welcome back Ator, and Time is a kick.

9 Likes

I also think most of the Shorts are some real “comfort food”. They are usually just a few minutes long but they can really satisfy the MST craving. They’re really more of a “comfort snack”!

12 Likes

Santa Claus, Riding With Death and I Accuse My Parents. Any episode that’s 70s TV usually hits a sweet spot.

8 Likes

Radar secret service, lost continent, beginning of the end and crawling eye. Either no interest or no belief in the apparent threat in the movies lol.

8 Likes

Superb choices!

2 Likes

Great selections in general, but I love that you’ve got The Incredible Melting Man included here!

If it was streaming officially (and not forgotten in the Season 7 lineup), I think it would have become much more of a fan-favorite by virtue of having all those eyeballs on it.

That is, for folks who aren’t adverse to the goriness or gooeyness.

6 Likes

You can’t go wrong with my #1 overall favorite I Accuse My Parents! Though personally: It’s such a special episode for me that I watch it in full very sparingly (it’s pretty much mandatory for my birthday).

9 Likes

I hear that. I do practically the same with my favorite, Jack Frost, hauling it out for special occasions and not wearing out its welcome.

But I Accuse My Parents is something special. The gang was right to make it a point to release that on Rhino VHS.

All those musical crime caper episodes - Untamed Youth, Catalina Caper, Daddy-O, The Beatniks, Girls Town - rock, but there’s such a breezy feel about I Accuse My Parents, even as Jimmy keeps making a mess of everything.

6 Likes

Plus The Truck Farmer!!!

9 Likes

Racket Girls
Gamera- all of them
Manos
Prince of Space
Earth vs Spider
Space Mutiny
Werewolf

6 Likes

Space Mutiny
Ator The Fighting Eagle
Atlantic Rim
Pretty much anything featuring Hercules

7 Likes

That’s a fine selection of episodes!

The Herc installments are very entertaining, and I’m about Hercules Unchained and The Loves of Hercules in particular. Colossus and the Headhunters works great alongside those, too.

Also, welcome to the forums!

5 Likes

I really do have a comfort spot for the Master Ninjas. Maybe because I actually remember the TV show. Also, some of the Japanese monster movies.

7 Likes

I’ve got a couple that haven’t been mentioned. I must have weird reasons for liking them, but I can watch The Creeping Terror and Starfighters over and over. Especially in Starfighters, I enjoy listening to the Minnesotans and Wisconsinites in the cast unload on the girl from Iowa, my state. I’ve never detasseled corn myself, but I know plenty of people who have.

10 Likes

I love the Finnish films. Could I ask for a list of them that you know of?

4 Likes

For me it’s anything with Joel as host because I instantly feel like I’m in college again watching the show on Comedy Central. Just a wonderful, nostalgic feeling!

10 Likes

Oh, me too! Partly because ten-year-old me grooves on all the aircraft footage. Partly because thirteen-year-old me giggles at all the double-entendre riffs. Partly because fifty-eight-year-old professional me sees this as some poor dope’s attempt to make art out of a boring project (“Yeah, I can make yet another Air Force documentary…but what if I make it with a storyline and characters and everything?”)

7 Likes