What'cha Reading?

I can predict it is not better than the (butchered flawed) movie, as is very often the case, speaking as a fan of written fiction in general.

But I am amusing myself so far with it.

2 Likes

This is a great book if you are interested in American stand-up comedy. A history of stand-up from it’s earliest roots in Vaudeville up to 2015.

5 Likes

Kliph is an entertaining guy and a very good writer. He’s also been a guest with The Mads online.

2 Likes

Every now and then I decide it would be a good idea to really depress myself by reading some First World War or Holocaust literature. This is really good, if (unsurprisingly) a bit bleak.

4 Likes

I think this is one of the sequels to Queen Margot (pretty good movie, fun book)…but am having a hard time getting into it because this edition has annoyingly large print. Not that I’m mister eagle eye, but it makes it very difficult to read for me…messes with my flow, man!

51us3R2YpqL.SY425

2 Likes

More Vonnegut:

And then a few in the TBR pile for spooky season:

3 Likes

Currently…

exit
empire

And coming up next for my creepy October read…

deep

3 Likes

Something all of you might wish to consider ordering:

Amazon.com: MSTiepedia - One Man’s Journey Through 30+ Years Of The Best TV Show Ever (Volume I): 9798887712796: Cornell, Chris “Sampo”: Books

4 Likes

And published by Bear Manor Media! It’s an MST two-fer!

1 Like

Now on the sequel, The Day After Judgment. I can’t say anything about it that isn’t a spoiler to Black Easter, though.

1 Like

(It was a lot more than $1.00)

I already have:

And it’s honestly the best, and most insane, serialized comic strip I’ve ever read.

3 Likes

Technically, I’m not reading it. I got about 20 pages in when my wife called it. I can’t say no to a librarian. So I have to read it secretly when she’s not around. The editor is a friend who I met while I was in London. He also did the animations for the Hitchhiker’s TV series, amongst a lot of other things. Very nice guy too. The book is beautiful. It’s textbook quality, which is proper because the book is an academic deep dive even though Kevin is not an academic.

6 Likes

Pratchett himself recommended not starting with The Colour of Magic or The Light Fantastic. They were the first novels he wrote and he was still learning how to do it.

Basically, they’re the KTMA episodes of Discworld.

6 Likes

Speaking of… I got that titbit from

I’ve dipped in here and there to get a look, and now I’m reading cover to cover.

Neil Gaiman’s foreword is itself worth a read, and not just because it was written by Neil Gaiman; he gives an insight into just what drove pterry’s writing, and demonstrates it himself as he signs off.

4 Likes

Just finished Trumpet by Jackie Kay.

Interesting 90s book about the emotional fallout after the death of a famous jazz trumpeter and band leader, who turned out to have been a woman living as a man, mostly shown through the experience of his wife and adopted son. Doesn’t saw that much about transgender people really, more about the people around them, but does touch on experience of mixed race people in Britain through the 20th century too.
I was going to start a Nero Woolfe book next but the weather’s turning and I decided to jump back into The Winter Book, short stories by Tove Jansson.

It’s fictionalised (I think) memories of childhood and I stopped reading it in the spring, though the weather isn’t really that important to it. Beautiful poetic prose.

5 Likes

One of these days I will get into that series…

1 Like

Well, don’t take too long to visit. Everyone should spend some time in the cozy, unchanging environment of the brownstone every now and then.

3 Likes

I do love that as New York changed around them, Wolfe, Archie, and Fritz were ageless. There was always beer in the fridge (even during Prohibition shh!), and Fritz cooking something delicious. Orchid time was 9-11am and 4-6 pm. You did not talk business at the table. Cramer was bound to yell while he chomped on a cigar, and the red leather chair in the office was the best.

3 Likes

I don’t know when I last bought a magazine, but this one came from the UK, so I ordered a digital copy and have been reading it (there’s a section where they interview a couple of his guitarists, so cool to hear from Steven Hunter)

and I’ve put holds on a couple from the library

2 Likes

Bill Griffith has been besmitten with Bushmiller’s Nancy for decades. He’s definitely the right person to write that book. Is it prose or a graphic novel?

1 Like