Who is your favorite riffer overall?

I am another of those who are highly conflicted. I was a huge Crow fan when I first started watching in 1992, and would have readily endorsed Trace as my favorite riffer. On the other hand, I love Kevin Murphy’s style of humor, and those sweet pipes, so he eventually shifted to being my favorite overall riffer, especially after Trace left the show. On the grasping hand, Jonah is an amazing riffer, and has fallen into the role so naturally that I think he oustshines the bots for me now. This would be a whole lot easier if we broke it down by era, but until then put me down for “Crovinah”.

5 Likes

Nice! I thought I was going to be an outsider by picking J. Elvis, but a couple other folks did as well. I love his voice and his delivery, both as the original Servo and in Cinematic Titanic. He’s a great jokesmith, too. And as was pointed out, Frank is really good when he gets a chance to riff. I also particularly enjoy Baron and Rebecca in the Netflix seasons.

I too love everyone in the cast, and appreciate them all for what they bring to the show. I am really looking forward to seeing a movie riffed by Emily and her team, and I may have some new favorites after that.

4 Likes

I am totally with you, especially about the new season! It took me a while to get used to them, but all the MS3K/CT/RiffTrax folks (including the regular guest-riffers) are indeed each wonderful in their own way, and it will be exciting to see a new crew. I missed their stage show, but I gather it was good. And they have a good team behind them. So yeah, I’m sure they’ll be great!

4 Likes

As far as I know, Emily has not riffed in a live show yet. The last tour was Joel’s final tour and he introduced Emily, but she didn’t do any riffing. Her riffing of the supermarket short, however, was excellent and I look forward to more from her. Conor and Nate were in the live show and I love their interpretations of the bots, especially Conor’s.

5 Likes

Emily riffed in the show I was at (No Retreat, No Surrender). Joel left for a spell and she took over. It was just a small portion, but she was good. And I liked her personality overall.

6 Likes

mst3k1112mattclaudevandamme

We’re all in agreement that Matt-Claude Van Damme is rocking out in the theater segments, yes?

4 Likes

I have to say this one is difficult because they all do a fantastic job.
I am partial to Trace, but it’s so close if you asked me tomorrow I may have a different answer.
I was initially put off by how fast they riff in the “Jonah era” but now that I’ve watched them a few times, I actually appreciate it.
Also, if you asked my kids they would say the Jonah era wins hands down because the references are more relevant to them.

5 Likes

Me!

… I like me…

2 Likes

Nothing, and I mean NOTHING lands quite like a great Joel one-liner delivered in that casual voice. All of the Crows are stellar, and even though NuGPC doesn’t get many lines, Rebecca kills the ones she gets. And Jonah, Baron, and Hampton bounce off each other incredibly well, so I find them the most consistent trio. Though I have not seen the Live Crew outside of the KS livestreams, they’re pretty awesome too.

So as expected, my opinion’s all over the place, LOL. MST3K has really lucked out in finding amazing riffers over the years.

7 Likes

I furtherance of explaining my love for Kevin Murphy as Tom Servo, I also love whenever Tom would scream or freak out about something, like his scream in this clip:

6 Likes

What’s better than Kevin as Servo screaming “END! ENNNNNNNNND!” at Batwoman?

9 Likes

I don’t pick favorites. I appreciate people and works on their own terms. Especially when we’re talking about a group dynamic. They write as a team (with more writers we never even see) and then parcel out the lines and then work off each other. There are some riffs that make me laugh more than others. But there are a dozen outstanding ones in every episode, and every riffer has chalked up a good list.

6 Likes

Lame answer, but I can’t choose. I truly love each personality and the way they mesh. Each brought of completely different tone that brought each character to life and gave them a very distinct feel. Every riff was so consistent to the personality of the character and was just so well done. And I laughed at each equally because of that.

5 Likes

In terms of riffs alone…it’s tough. I’d either go with Trace or Mike.

I think Trace is my favorite overall because of his riffing and also his performances outside the theater as Crow and Dr F.

4 Likes

Tom’s freak-outs are some of my favourite moments, so I’d have to side with Kevin as my favourite riffer. Plus there’s just something I love about the little “hm!” chuckles he throws in sometimes

6 Likes

Although he’s not number one for me (that would prooobbbabbbbly be Mike), Baron is way way up there. His Servo has a pretty distinct personality, kind of sarcastic, dismissive snootiness, and it lets him really smash down a moment in a more cutting way than anyone else on the show.

5 Likes

Bill as Servo if we’re talking scripted riffing…

…but for live, unscripted, improv riffing, after this last Kickstarter campaign, I’d have to say Nate, as Nate.

3 Likes

Trace - in any guise. He makes me laugh more, and more consistently. Sometimes it’s the line, sometimes it’s his delivery, but he gets the job done for me.

6 Likes

I love Mike. It’s not even a contest for me which, with all the Joel fans, proves comedy is subjective. Mike just seemed a lot more natural and fun; his laughs and deliveries are on point. Joel a lot of times seems forced and more like he’s reading his jokes or like he’s a standup comedian saying his joke and waiting for the laugh.

2 Likes

Joel for me. But not gonna lie Trace/Crow is hilarious but Kevin/Servo is tops too. Dammit! I love em all.

5 Likes