1201. Mac and Me (1988)

I don’t like it either. I just came to watch the McTurkey Shoot.

1 Like

I will have to rewatch eventually. Got the missus into mst3k and now she fancies Jonah, so having to watch all his EPs in order. :roll_eyes: Survived cry wilderness tho :joy:

3 Likes

I feel so alone here. Does no one else notice how much the doctor who checked up on Eric after his fall looks like our own Trace Beaulieu? Because once I saw that, I couldn’t unsee it.

2 Likes

What if Mac and Me got a million sequels, prequels and spin-offs like Carnival Magic?

“Oh yeah, Mark Damon produced a whole ton of Mac and Me sequels, though when Mac and Me 2 finally came out, it was titled Mac and Me 2: Electric Boogaloo. Huge hit, but nothing compared to the conclusion of the original trilogy, Mac and Me 3: Return of Ronald McDonald. Then Mark Damon kind of lost his way with the prequels. Mac was played by a CGI alien instead of an alien puppet. And nobody really wanted to know the story of how Eric met Mac. They were really scraping the bottom of the barrel with that Eric spin-off movie when he went back home to save his dad’s PR company from a hostile takeover by a bigger, eviler PR company. Oh yeah, the whole Mac and Me shared cinematic universe. At that point, the whole Mac and Me movies were just 90-minute advertisements for the Mac and Me toy lines. But just when you thought the Mac and Me magic was gone, they reboot the series with Mac and Me Begins and remind America why it fell in love with aliens and McDonald’s in the first place.”

sorry

2 Likes

Rewatching: Oh, wow! You hardly ever get to see Jawas in the nude

3 Likes

Also:

2 Likes

A threat that, thankfully, they never followed through upon.

4 Likes

Yet.

3 Likes

Did you know Mac & Me had a higher budget than E.T.?

E.T. budget: $10.5 million
Mac & Me budget: $13 million

I assume much of that $13 million was spent on white powder.

6 Likes

This is my favorite Netflix era episode and probably my favorite episode of the gauntlet. I’ve watched this episode at least 7 times since it came out.

“I’d like to see the movie this composer THOUGHT he was scoring.”

8 Likes

Crow: Excuse me?

2 Likes

I watched this again last night, because of the love of the episode people have here, and my second viewing was a treat! I had forgotten how crazy the movie is, especially the beginning. I think this episode has the most solid riffs of the Netflix era, may be the strongest I have seen to date!

3 Likes

And to pay Paul Rudd to secretly promote it under the guise of a “prank”. To eventually get MST3K to riff it, and cause many Mysties to hunger for Skittles, Coke, and a Duck Dynasty living room makeover.

4 Likes

Traditionally MST3K has preferred screening films that are off the beaten path. But they occasionally featured movies which had achieved a legendary status of sorts, such as Robot Monster and The Creeping Terror. As one of the more brazen E.T. rip-offs of the 1980s, Mac and Me has gained a certain amount of notoriety. But there’s so much more than the flagrant product placement for Coke, McDonald’s, and Skittles.

From a science fiction mechanics angle, there’s a host of issues regarding the alien family being taken to Earth. If their homeworld is in another star system, then this means that NASA has developed probes with FTL capabilities, which seems doubtful. The idea they’re from Mars has a certain attractiveness to it, especially if it takes place in the same reality as the Barsoom series of Edgar Rice Burroughs. In this case, Barsoom society would have degenerated even further since John Carter’s time. It would also explain why they’re nude. However, since we see a ringed gas giant in their sky, the least implausible idea is that they live on Titan. Though there would still be the question of how they could tolerate Earth temperatures.

One of the few positives is how lead child character Eric being confined to a wheelchair is not presented in a ham-handed fashion. The fact that they cast a real paraplegic is commendable. Unfortunately, he also had no acting experience, which becomes obvious from listening to the whiny tone in his voice whenever he attempts to emote.

What really bugs me is the swathe of inadvertent destruction left in Mac’s wake. The issue is that it gets presented as lighthearted and whimsical antics, which for me leaves a bad taste.

1 Like

The only film from The Gauntlet that I can throw on any old time and watch.

Though it says a lot for the script writing when the one little girl says “what are we gonna do” at least 4 times during the film.

Every time I look at the alien mouths, I just imagine there was a budget meeting, where they couldn’t get enough money to pay for moving mouths, so they had to decide on one shape, and stick with that for the entire film.

1 Like

One thing I will say in Mac & Me’s favor is that they cast a disabled actor in Eric’s role. It would have been so much easier to stick some rando child actor in a wheelchair and toss him off a cliff, but in literally one aspect of this movie they actually put in some thought and effort.

11 Likes

Yeah, in that respect, it was ahead of it’s time. It would be nice to see more disabled actors get work, especially when there are so many films where they need complex CG effects for lost limbs.

7 Likes

Bottle Neck Gallery shared a picture of some of their prints in a home theater. This person’s taste in movies is PRETTY NICE!

5 Likes

It’s that Lost Boys pillow that ties the room together.

But yeah, that Mac & Me poster is CHOICE! :smiley:

6 Likes

Two of the three are masterpieces and the other is fabulous inspiration for my favorite show.

5 Likes