1303 Beyond Atlantis - Your Thoughts

I hope this cast is very proud because this episode was a banger.

17 Likes

I thought it was a really strong episode. Unlike the previous livestreams I’ve watched there were no synch issues with video and audio I noticed. Other than a couple of very brief “stutters” in the feed it went off pretty much perfect, once Matt figured out he was muted during the Q&A. :wink:

Thought the new cast did a great job! I had only seen Emily once before during the Moon Zero Two social distancing thing, and thought she was MUCH better here as host. Took a little while to adjust to a lady Crowe voice, but Kelsey had won me over by the end. Conor was a great Tom, Mother Crabber was a season (so far) highlight.

Again, thought the whole episode was really strong, great job guys and gals!

11 Likes

Such a great job by the new cast! So excited for more Kelsey, Conor and Emily eps.

Everything was in sync for the first time!

The first third of the movie was almost impossible to understand any dialog. I think the terrible sound of the film had a lot to do with that but overall the mix of the movie was low relative to the riffs. Ive seen that complaint from a lot of folks on earlier season 13 eps but it was not a problem for me at all until now.

Overall great ep!

7 Likes

In response to your edit, yes, nothing against Kelsey, but the choice was wrong. A deeper voiced woman would have been better. More Midwestern, not screeching.

8 Likes

Good episode. I enjoyed the riffing. The volume was good in the theater this time. New voices take getting used to but they always do. I loved the mother crabber song. My kids were singing and dancing. A solid first outing.

9 Likes

20 seconds in: This new Crow voice is weird…

20 minutes in: I like the new Crow!

Spent the whole movie thinking it could just randomly cut to credits and it wouldn’t feel unresolved…and then wow that’s exactly how it did end!

Such a bonkers low-stakes movie that doesn’t even try to give you a reason to care about what’s going on. Hey, this mask is Minoan! Oh, is that important? I don’t think it is… Hilarious!

23 Likes

Favorite episode so far - I liked much better than Robot Wars. I enjoyed the new cast. Emily really committed to some bits which was great. New crow was fine - reminded me Janet Varney (who I also enjoy) - the stream showed weird stuttering and inconsistent frame rates which was distracting. Movie was bad in just the right ways.

8 Likes

This is one of my all time favorite episodes. Everything was fantastic and while I had to get used to the new Crow voice, it didn’t take me any longer than it did when Bill took over.

Absolutely loved everything about this one. I’m very confused by the end of the movie though.

11 Likes

A fantastic episode. Can’t wait to watch it again. I had ZERO issues with the changes made. Love the vibes, the feel of the new cast.

8 Likes

I do think her voice got better as the episode went on.

8 Likes

Yeah, that’s how it was with me… it only took a few riffs for me to get used to the new Crow voice and then it was fine.

I like Conor’s Servo voice, too. He actually sounds more like Kevin’s Servo. (He did a perfect “Check me out” during the Q&A.)

I thought this was the funniest ep of the season so far. Some of the best riffs of the season, and the rap at the end was great.

15 Likes

Crabtastic!

11 Likes

I really like this cast; especially watching the post-episode discussion. They have fantastic chemistry together. I already knew Emily and Conor were going to be good from the Great Cheesy Movie Circus Tour; this was my first time seeing Kelsey’s Crow and the SAT sketch alone sold me on her version of the character. I fully believe her Crow wants to decide who lives and who dies, and isn’t that what matters most?

The riffing and host segments were strong throughout; the Eddie SAT and Convention were both instant favorites.

Getting to hear Conor sing the theme was fun! But I’m also hoping, at some point maybe down the road, we get to hear the other bots or the hosts get turns too because everyone in the cast can sing (or at least better than I can!).

The one issue I had with this episode is that, while the riffing helped, the movie slowed down a lot around the halfway point. More crabs, less discussions about how you’re going to split your stake of the pearls! But I also think that’s an unavoidable part of MST3K, for better or for worse - sometimes you just don’t click with a particular movie.

9 Likes

I can’t decide if my unease with Kelsey as Crow comes from her voice per se, or because I had no idea a change had been made. I think her comic timing and performance was solid, and Crow as Nereus in “Mothercrabber” was laugh out loud perfect. I look forward to watching again.

I watched through Gizmoplex.com, not the Gizmoplex.

I had zero audio sync issues!

As Joel says, the movie is two lanes of open road of movie badness. Beyond Atlantis? I don’t think they ever left the marina!

Favorite riff: “ALL animals were harmed in the making of this movie.”

I loved Emily on the live tours, and she knocked it out of the park in her first movie. Conor is very good with Servo.

3 Likes

No audio sync issues, but two very extensive glitches in the film that I hope will be corrected in the final cut.

2 Likes

This episode was hilarious, it hangs with just about everything from the previous 12 seasons. Other than a couple of weird stutters, the presentation via the Android app on my Sony TV was great. Only audio note I have is that Patton was drowned out by the chattering teeth during the invention exchange.

Kelsey brings a manic energy to Crow that I really like.

Keep it up, Mother Crabbers!

7 Likes

Kelsey’s Crow was a bit harsh at first, but as the episode went on I started warming up to the new voice. Definitely the strongest collection of host segments so far this season and the movie riffs were strong as well.

The movie itself… It’s SO odd and the ending scene is just the icing on the cake.

5 Likes

Like I said in the main chat, her Crow reminded me of comedian Maria Bamford at times.

12 Likes

I absolutely loved the episode - loved the choice of movie, loved the riffing, loved all the new folks including Kelsey.
This along with Santo are 2 of my new favorites - I think I like those two episodes more than anything else in the reboot so far.

13 Likes

Great riffs!

Kato Kallen (or however you spell that) Really? You went there? Loved it!

Probably the funniest of the three so far.

Other than a few film glitches and some sound issues at the beginning, I think the early problems with Santo have all been solved. Great work team!

5 Likes