31 Days of Halloween Horror Movies

Last night I watched Leviathan. It wasn’t great. Shame because it has a good cast of b actors; Peter Weller, Ernie Hudson, Daniel Stern. But it’s spending a lot of time with the characters like in Alien but while that film uses it’s slow burn introduction to make a real-feeling work environment, mostly this is Daniel Stern acting like a sex pest.

1 Like

On the night we carve pumpkins, we watch It’s the Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown, Garfield’s Halloween Adventure, a Simpsons Treehouse of Horror, and a South Park Halloween episode. Once the pumpkins are done, it’s on to Young Frankenstein.

We also try to do at least one movie in the back yard Drive-In style. Last year was The Thing, the year before was Friday the 13th III in 3-D.

3 Likes

Korn’s Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery and Hell on Earth 2006 are my favorite South Park Halloween episodes. Woodland Critter Christmas is also an acceptable answer.

1 Like

Ghost pirates. No they’re Pirate ghosts!

2 Likes

I don’t always recommend latterday Simpsons but last year had two treehouse of horror episodes and both are surprisingly good.

1 Like

We always have to watch the original 1978 Halloween at some point in October. We will also do Friday the 13th this year, as one falls in October! :woman_cartwheeling:

List of stuff other stuff we watch every October:

It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown
Hocus Pocus
Poltergeist
Beetlejuice
The Shining (Kubrick)
Night of the Living Dead
We always throw in a classic B&W movie. Frankenstein, The Mummy, etc.

Things we are slated to watch this year:
Amityville Horror
The Monster Squad
Korn’s Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery
And several of the Simpson’s Treehouse of Horror episodes!

I watched Hubie Halloween on the flight back home a bit ago, not a GIANT Adam Sandler fan, but it was a fun flick!

2 Likes

Didn’t someone in the cast talk about that movie during one of the special steams?

1 Like

Tame stuff, horror-wise, but I don’t care much for slasher stuff etc. Give me the old Universals and I’m happy.

5 Likes

Awesome call, might crack it out myself. I don’t think we watched it last year but the year before we did the movie followed by the TV version that actually had Boris Karloff in it. The movie was a much easier watch but the TV version was interesting too.

1 Like

So happy to see the love for Korn’s Groovy Pirate Ghost Mystery. I remember watching it when it aired and just dying laughing. I thought I was the only one that remembered it.

Korn powers vitalize!

That’s about the only South Park I vaguely remember. That and kaiju Streisand.

1 Like

I do enjoy my horror films and always have a Halloween night themed marathon (I need to lock down this year’s playlist) but I watch them
throughout the month as well.

Tonight it’s The Fog. This isn’t among Carpenter’s best but it’s still a solid film with a strong cast and a suitably spooky atmosphere. I do enjoy an old-fashioned ghost story and this is always a good one to stick on for the Halloween season.

3 Likes

I’ve been doing this for at least 5 years, maybe more.
I, generally, have a theme.
This year it’s Godzilla.
I will be skipping the abomination that is the 2014 version, but, I will include the 1998 version, because, Jean Reno is a gem in it.

1 Like

I don’t have a tradition anymore, but I used to do a regular watch of The Abominable Dr. Phibes. The sequel, meh.

3 Likes

:scream::scream::scream: talk about scary!

I always love working my way through the Halloween section of the Rifftrax catalog (Jack-O, the Live versions of House on Haunted Hill and Carnival of Souls, etc.). This year, I’m super excited to put The Mask on NOW.

2 Likes

IT’S TERRIFYING!!!

Heh, I had the tremendous good fortune to catch that at this little nearby theater that ain’t there anymore. This one year, they were running nothing but spooky stuff across the whole wide spectrum of scariness, from slashers to cartoons, and they even had Rocky Horror in the mix.

But yeah, I opted for The Curse of the Were-Rabbit, and I just felt like I had all this wonder poured back into my soul, and it freaking -owned.-

That’s a fantastic plan, that! I remember being so hyped for the Mike Nelson commentary track for Night of the Living Dead, what with that movie being so near and dear to my heart. RiffTrax’s take on Carnival of Souls is nifty, too, although I would have to defend that film.

AND OHMYGAAAAAAAAAAAWD, THAT’S RIGHT! We now have that Halloween tradition of watching The Mask to look forward to, I love that!

3 Likes

I’m surprised no one’s mentioned this yet. I wish I could introduce someone to this in person.

5 Likes

I don’t blame ya, because HAHAHAHAHA HOOOOOOOOOOOLY CATS that movie is rambunctiously insane. Terrific stuff, that.

1 Like

Great movie!

1 Like

I also intend make The Mask 3D an Halloween tradition!

Although: It’s such an upper-tier S13 episode: I really could watch it anytime of the year!

4 Likes