418. Attack of the The Eye Creatures (1967)

One of my favorites from the CC era! So much fun! The goofy movie that tries to be a comedy makes this one extra special. Smoochers, the yucky man in the nightgown, and Charles Nelson Reilly? What more could you ask? And Bruce, it’s Attack of the the Eye Creatures!

6 Likes

Your overall thoughts? You hinted there was more.

2 Likes

Oh snap! I got sidetracked. But yeah, there’s more.

So, the really big shame here is that this is one of the episodes that will supposedly never see the light of an official streaming/DVD release. This is screamingly, howlingly, ridiculously fun.

What really struck me about the episode is how uncharacteristically angry/peeved Joel gets during this episode, from the cheapness of the monsters to the continuity problems (what the hell is with the time of day/night in this episode?) to the unappealing cast.

Like… it feels like this movie was done in a day, maybe two, tops. And the overall production issues serve up so much for the gang to wail away on, kind of like a softball tee.

There’s fun all over the place here! The “GOLDANG SMOOCHERS ON MY PROPERTY!” guy makes for great riffs (and future callbacks), not to mention his ramshackle shack offering up some terrific joke potential. Then you have the leading lady’s distinctive beehive hairstyle inspiring some fun quips (Susan: “I saw it!” Crow: “With my own hair!”). And THEN you have two of the most unappealing characters in MST3Kdom in those two surveillance goons who are peeping on everyone. Is it any wonder as to why Joel loses his cool?

Then you have the the eye creatures, with some fun gags to be had with the disembodied hand, like “I’m Hand Christian Andersen!” and “You could put it in your HANDbag!”

It’s a greasy, grimy, idiotic film, and bless it forever for that, because we don’t get to these levels of laughs without that sustained incompetence.

On the host segment side, the EARL HOLLIMAN! sketch is… odd, but it grows on you. My favorite here, as I’ve said before, is the Rip Taylor Trio sketch. It’s so exuberantly goofy that you can’t help but love the dang thing. And the capper of “They just didn’t care”? Superb.

An excellent episode that all MSTies should run (not walk) to.

10 Likes

Tom Wanting To Make Out.

5 Likes

Is my ultimate OTP Joel/Tom :blue_car: or Mike/GPC :broccoli: ?

:sos: I can’t decide!!

3 Likes

Magic Voice and Observer? I mean, neither one has a body.

4 Likes

Yeah, and after she had to deal with Creepy Narrator from The Atomic Brain, there was really nowhere to go but up.

5 Likes

The Rip Taylor Trio.

5 Likes

Didn’t I see these guys in the Sinbad episode?

2 Likes

I never thought Rip Taylor was especially funny, but my goodness was he fun.

4 Likes

Fuzzy Memories just posted a Son of Svengoolie broadcast of The Eye Creatures and it got me thinking: if the reason MST3K’s The Attack of the Eye Creatures is not available is because the TITLE is not in the public domain, is there any way to “surgically enhance” the original episode so that the Shadowramma is timed to work with the public domain The Eye Creatures.

5 Likes

I run to this one often! It’s my go-to Joel episode. The best of season four in my opinion.

7 Likes

They Just Didn’t Care!

2 Likes

@amass79 A fav of yours?

3 Likes

Season 4 is such a tight, hilarious season. And yes, Attack of the The Eye Creatures is one of its better episodes!

6 Likes

Sigh - I sure hope some day this episode gets released from whatever legal Bermuda Triangle keeps it stuck in limbo. It’s a fun episode with some classic bits and it doesn’t deserve to be locked down like this.

9 Likes

The legal people JUST DON’T CARE.

5 Likes

And yet, I still hold in memory that suave line.

“I don’t know…how to get from here…to first base with you!”

Wet look and dry look. They’re cops.

3 Likes

This is a movie that needed a tissue to wipe away the mess.

3 Likes

A tissue the size of a football field, yeah. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

4 Likes