420. The Human Duplicators (1965)

“Nobody’s standing taller!!!” “Makes me feel sad for the rest!!!” “Nobody stands half as good as you!!!” “Richard, you’re the best!!!” “You were a caveman!!!” “And somebody’s henchman!!!” “You took a sledge to the groin!!!” “You were a heavy!!!” “And you were silly!!!” “Dickey!, Dickey!, Dickey!, you’re the best!!!” George Nader, Hugh Beaumont, Richard Kiel? Aliens start your androids. Bot Improvements, Beanie Chopper, William Conrad Fridge Alert, Model Spaceships, Tom Makes Toms, Hugh Returns, Robot Nation. “Hey, it’s a Tucks Medicated Film”, “Attack of the Christmas Oranment From the 60s”, “Lets all play The Family Feud!” “He’s untalented at any speed” or “Crappy film at 11”?

7 Likes

Beanie Chopper and William Conrad Fridge Alert.

3 Likes

Tom Makes Toms.

4 Likes

Mission Objectives.

2 Likes

Best of 420.

3 Likes

Sounds Like A Promotion and Model Spaceships.

2 Likes

Hugh Returns and They Disarmed Him.

2 Likes

Call Me Steve and Robot Nation.

3 Likes

More Best of 420.

3 Likes

420 Promo.

3 Likes

Trailer of The Human Duplicators (1965).

2 Likes

Mystery Science Theater Hour Wrap on The Human Duplicators (1965).

3 Likes

Eht Numah Srotacilpud

4 Likes

Another low-key alien invasion. In this case, the plan is to build the army of androids on-site using the private facilities of a suborned eccentric genius. Truth be told, these androids aren’t very impressive. The most obvious flaw being that their shells appear to be made of cheap ceramics, judging from the way they shatter whenever they hit the ground. This genius also has a blind “niece” living at his residence. Possibly her condition is meant to explain some of her more unfortunate choices in garb.

Her presence actually recalls Robot Monster, which is doubly curious when you consider how male lead George Nader was also the male lead in that film as well. Specifically, I’m thinking of how the sole alien tasked with the conquest of Earth begins to lust after the female lead, to the point where he disobeys orders from his superiors (in this case, not making an android duplicate of her and then disposing of the original) and is ultimately destroyed for his insubordination.

In the host segments, the one that stands out is where Servo has created a multitude of duplicates of himself. The logistics of creating so many Servo heads and making the whole scene work is mind boggling.

3 Likes

This is such a fun episode. The William Conrad Fridge Alert is priceless.

6 Likes

An experiment that truly offers them a world of riff options. Nader, Kiel, Beaumont. The cheese is goofy, in color, and has production value. This is This Island Earth (1955) of the 60s. The tone and watchability of Duplicators (1965) matches that of The Movie (1996).

4 Likes

This was revisited in Reptilicus (1961) in Season 11. Crow this time did the honors of duplicating Servo.

3 Likes

@optiMSTie Higher or lower end Season 4? I have to confess falling for this. The preposterousness of the concept and the familiar faces leapt at me and the riffing responded in kind. An excellent all-around episode and not one I hear much on.

3 Likes

“IT’S AN ORAGAMI SPACESHIP.”

2 Likes

“I CAN NAME THAT TUNE IN FOUR NOTES.”

2 Likes