A reference so obscure only YOU got it?

I had to google every part of that. :rofl: :rofl:

8 Likes

When Mike made a remark in a short about jobs, in reference to someone going down in a New York sewer and talked about a 'C.H.U.D. based economy."

I always shed a tear of joy when someone acknowledges the existence of that movie.

5 Likes

From “Code Name: Diamond Head” - “Derek Jarman’s Blue had more action than this movie!”

5 Likes

Well… in The Room there’s a street car. And some of the characters seem to desire one another. But in no way, shape or form would I say The Room is like A Streetcar Named Desire.

5 Likes

YOU’RE TEARING ME APAHT, STELLA!

9 Likes

I knew of Jarman’s movie even though I’ve never watched it. So that’s at least two of us who got it. :smiley:

4 Likes

Yassss!

4 Likes

They also referred to the leader of the biker gang in Horror of Party Beach as Sartre: “I believe in the Existential outlaw hero, that is why I travel with these men!”

6 Likes

That movie has an inordinate number of fans, given the relatively low C.H.U.D. count it has.

4 Likes

Not really obscure (I don’t think), but there’s a scene towards the beginning of a movie – I think Bloodlust – where the characters are beginning to investigate the island , accompanied by some suspenseful flute music. The riff: “Oh, they’re being followed by James Galway!”

(I may have the episode completely wrong, so … YMMV)

4 Likes

There’s another James Galway reference somewhere else, too—I think the name Galway is on a building, but I can’t place which movie.

4 Likes

In the first skit of episode 418 - “Attack of the The Eye Creatures,” fascinated by “those darn smoochers” in the movie, Tom Servo decides he needs to learn how to smooch, so he invites Crow to a smooching session. He gets SO shot DOWN. Joel then steps in and the skit ends with a big smack on the lips:

5SecondsApp_657631615.615755

and Joel says “Ya know, I’ve always wanted to do that.”

In Douglas Coupland’s book “Generation X” (extremely popular right around the time of this episode in 1992) the two straight male protagonists and best friends are (I think, it’s been a long time since I read the book) running from the cops, and before they split up, one kisses the other and says “I’ve always wanted to do that.”

7 Likes

:rofl:

This is several levels of funny to me. In the years before the internet made birth dates a song to find, I had misclassed Joel as X and Mike as Boomer, just based on the vibes each one gave off. I had it completely backwards.

6 Likes

This is not actually that obscure, but it’s one that’s used repeatedly. In fact, I’m not even going to quote it, because it’s printed right there in the ancient movie ad:

eat_my_dust

11 Likes

This is awesome! Thank you—I always wondered what the origin story was for that riff. The official (Xeroxed?) movie poster makes it even sweeter!

I wonder how much Ronnie regrets this…

4 Likes

I believe that would be Parts: The Clonus Horror.

5 Likes

Being trapped on a satellite is kind of the ultimate “latchkey kid.”

Joel does have a sort of…childlike sense of fun that makes him seem ever-youthful.

Every now and then Mike has a little more, I dunno…edge maybe? that I find very relatable. So I also misclassified him as a cynical fellow gen X slacker.

7 Likes

His voice thunders in my head. I recall that line and hear it in my memory. In what experiment did he say it?

2 Likes

The @ItsJustAShow folks compared the tone of some of his sketches to the old Pee Wee Herman show. I hadn’t thought about it, because I’d started college when the show was in vogue and never got to see it much. (Only one TV in the dorm.) But yeah after that I looked up a few highlights and it checked out.

FWIW, I used to have a buddy whose U.S.-born parents traveled lots and didn’t move her to the States until she was a teen. They settled in Minnesota. The first time I introduced her to the show, it was a Mike episode. She informed the room that, “This here is every second son of a Lutheran minister.”

I still think there’s a lot of overlap between the two, but it still makes me smile to this day.

7 Likes

Since it’s so close to Thanksgiving, my thoughts lightly turn to a hilarious Bergman parody called De Duva. Our potluck host in years gone by was a fan, and he showed it as part of his own Turkey Day Marathon every year after dinner.

It’s name-dropped as Derek and Betty have their big love scene in Teenagers From Outer Space. And I don’t know how many fans besides me ever noticed. :sweden: :lobster:

6 Likes