Essential (But Confusing To Newbies) MST3K References / Quotes

In the quest to introduce “new” people to MST3K we sometimes will show an episode here or there which has what can only be referred to as essential callbacks to other movies and episodes. These are the insider jokes that fans immediately can appreciate, but which out of context may confuse a new viewer. They’re catnip to fans, but potential stumbling blocks for newbies. What am I talking about?

Torgo: A cameo from Torgo is gold for people who have seen Manos, but if someone hasn’t had that dubious pleasure then Torgo in a host segment would be baffling in the extreme.
Rock Climbing: Lost Continent is such a slog that all it takes is for someone to say “rock climbing” and we know exactly what to think. For anyone else they would actually think rock climbing sounds pretty fun!
I killed that fat barkeep!: Those of us who have seen Beatniks love this callout, but someone new to the show would have no clue what to think on hearing it.
Watch out for snakes!: A classic reference for Eegah survivors, but dropping the line out of context and it seems to kind of come out of nowhere.

There are other MST3K references that are not as opaque to a new viewer … anyone can pretty much grasp the context of what “Deep Hurting” would mean. But I’m talking more about stuff that when it comes in a show … without knowing the reference … is largely incomprehensible. What are some other references of that sort you can think of?

8 Likes

Ten cars??!?!

11 Likes

Ortega from TISCWSLABMUZ makes a few appearances after that episode.

6 Likes

Hi-keeba!

14 Likes

Time for go to bed!

16 Likes

“It’s a SAMPO!” probably falls into this category. :slight_smile:

12 Likes

I like it very much!

15 Likes

“Hello!”
“Thank You!”

11 Likes

The first time I saw Torgo show up in Deep 13, I was definitely confused. I hadn’t seen Manos yet.

Same with the jokes about what happened to Dr. Ehrardt, because I hadn’t seen Seasons “Zero” or One yet.

7 Likes

He TRIIIIIIED to kill me with a forklift! Ole!

13 Likes

Paul, you is a warhwhulf…

8 Likes

IT STINKS!

13 Likes

I’m Cherokee Jack!

9 Likes

Chief

McCloud

11 Likes

[Ronald Reagan voice]
The driver is either dead or he’s missing.
[/Ronald Reagan voice]

6 Likes

Hamburger Sammich and French Fried Potatoes Garnish!

(Said exactly like how it’s spelled out!)

11 Likes

SLEEEEP!

6 Likes

Sandy Frank!

5 Likes

Sighing before saying “onions”.

7 Likes

“How fortunate! This will simplify everything!”

8 Likes