As a professional ____…

I hope you start incorporating pizza dominatrices and whimsical sprites into your PowerPoints.

10 Likes

I would like to see corporations go back to making educational films. PowerPoint is rarely used well.

https://www.edwardtufte.com/tufte/powerpoint

7 Likes

That reminds me of one my favorite Mr. Show bits: start at 1:45

5 Likes

People who do what I do are in movies all the time. We’re played by people like Josh Gad or Dan Fogler or some other “I’ve seen that guy before … no clue what his name is, though” actor who is, somehow we can never figure out, friends with the guy the movie is about.

2 Likes

At the very least, I can start wearing a head kerchief.

4 Likes

As a professional shoe-shine boy… Just kidding.

My profession as a traffic engineer is woefully underrepresented as well. I guess the closest we get is the put-upon Lt. Pritchard in Robot Wars. If you don’t remember him, that’s because we blend into the background until something goes wrong and suddenly there’s a traffic jam.

10 Likes

@wyswysia you haven’t been thinking, have you?

6 Likes

:confounded:

5 Likes

Boot-blacking. We like it very much.

13 Likes

Are you humble and lovable?

10 Likes

Absolutely!
:innocent:

5 Likes

As a professional bald man, I can safely say we don’t all become supervillains.

That’s exactly what a supervillian WOULD say!

11 Likes

ah yeah then you just shave your head; you’ve exposed yourself as a faker. shoo, g’way.

3 Likes

Hey, I resent that!

I only shave half. Nature took the rest!

8 Likes

she do what she do dudn’t she?

2 Likes

Ok I’m coming late to this, and it’s not in the movie but represented in a host segment. I’m a film archivist and I (and many film archivists) love F.A.P.S. from the Beast of Yucca Flats episode. Crow’s specific knowledge has me convinced someone knew an archivist in there somewhere.

16 Likes

Oh, wow! How cool is that? :smiley:

Also also, welcome to the forums!

9 Likes

7 Likes

Oh man, archival work is something that I’m really curious about. It seems like the kind of thing that could be really interesting!

How much of the stuff about storing celluloid in salt mines and secret vaults and moon bases is true?

Is film archiving more about preservation or cataloguing or some mix of the two?

How do you handle a format dying from a hardware perspective? Do you just have a warehouse full of VCRs and 8 track players you rob parts from, or do you have to order custom replacements from fab shops?

6 Likes

It is pretty interesting! There’s always room for more archivists - join us! (Said in a deadite voice)

Yes salt mines are true! They’ve also been found having been stored in swimming pools, abandoned hockey rink, etc, but mostly in someone’s attic or basement lol.

It’s really a mix of the two. And also a lot of us are passionate about not just saving films, but having them seen. Which is a fabulous bonus of MST3K - more people have probably seen these films now than ever did originally!

None of the manufacturers are making replacements. There are labs who just keep the old equipment in working order. But it’s always a concern since you won’t know how long they can keep it going. And labs keep closing :frowning:

12 Likes