Beautifully Illustrated Film Posters

Frazetta and Vallejo are two of my all-time favorites, as a big consumer of fantasy fiction. And as a subscriber to Dragon Magazine in the early '90s, I learned to look out for Keith Parkinson and Larry Elmore covers too.

4 Likes

Parkinson, Elmore and Clyde Caldwell were my favorite artists from the glory days of D&D.

3 Likes

Since many of these posters seem to promise a movie way more awesome than we’ll actually see, I created a thread about false advertising.

3 Likes

From the D&D early canon I always liked the Lovecraftian work of Erol Otus. His style is distinctly original as well.

1 Like

Some further minimal posters.

Woman In The Dunes

Lost Highway

Simon Of The Desert

8 Likes

I liked his illustrations for the Cthulhu mythos section of the Deities & Demigods book. They were pretty influential in getting me interested in Lovecraft.

Erol Otus e-mailed me once. I have an online index to Dragon Magazine and he wanted me to know that he’d created the ankheg, not just drew it.

2 Likes

Another MST3K-related poster I quite like.

9 Likes

The burlesque show soundtrack makes it.

4 Likes

I like how the opening of the trailer is like the extended “Hello! Thank you!” routine from Gamera vs Guiron, only in Spanish.

3 Likes

That music is a hoot, as is the greeting sequence.

The movie concerns a scientist who uses spinal juice from wrestlers to create a gill-man, so it’s stealing from all the classics.

There’s also a silly scene where Batwoman discovers a tracer on her person. Now, does she notify the police so they can bring in an army of officers to capture the beast? Or arm herself with a weapon, or prepare a bat-trap, put the tracer in a cage that springs shut when the gill-man walks into it? Nope, she figures, oh well, why bother with this, after all, it’s time for go to bed, so she hits the sack instead (and is of course attacked, kidnapped, and her police friend, who was staying over, is nearly killed trying to protect her)

Bruce Wayne just did a face palm.

It’s actually a fun movie, and if it were dubbed into English, definitely riff worthy.

5 Likes

Unwittingly?

14 Likes

He just thought the dolphins were going to be used to eliminate Cocker Spaniels.

4 Likes

And now a moment of simplicity.

You should be able to guess what it’s from.

I’d actually really like to have this on my wall. It’s so elegant for a horror movie.

11 Likes

That is sublime. I’m guessing it’s for The Birds, since it has the Universal logo. Something like Night Of The Seagulls is too fringe to merit such a fine poster.

3 Likes

It is indeed.

2 Likes

Poland again—I want this one on my wall.

10 Likes

Yeah. Hate it when that happens. I once unwittingly trained a parakeet to assassinate the Pope.

Birdemic, clearly.

6 Likes

It is now.

16 Likes

*slow clap *

3 Likes

orsonclap

(this deserves a full on Orson GIF)

5 Likes