Best video game music

Post your favourite video game musical jams (including covers).

Like so…

6 Likes

I love some video game music !

1 Like

Ha! I read the thread title and thought Mega Man 2 before I opened it and saw that! :rofl:

3 Likes

Those games had the BEST music. Oh, lawd. That Skull Castle Theme #1 from Mega Man 2 is nigh-unmatchable.

And then you have the Skull Castle Theme #3 from Mega Man 3, which is haunting and damn near apocalyptic:

Even the “You got a new weapon” theme from Mega Man 3 is the most badass thing that ever badassed:

Mega Man 4 had something really special in that Cossack Citadel #2 theme:

And then there was the final boss theme for Mega Man 4, which managed to take an eleven-second music loop and make it go FIERCE with an unreal sense of urgency:

3 Likes

PacMan :+1:

2 Likes
2 Likes

Many 90’s kids know that THIS VGM is the best.

2 Likes

Seriously? No one has mentioned Katamari Damacy?

4 Likes

Just a perfect tune to mellow out to…,

1 Like
2 Likes

I agree, the Mega Man games do have good music. One of my favorite franchises.

I’m also a fan of the classic Final Fantasy games, especially the battle themes: https://youtu.be/g5i5qfkcdJk?si=c83F18k2Zmmc9BwM

3 Likes

Yet another acknowledgement for the Mega Man series.

Super Mario Bros probably has the most recognizable melodies. Sure it’s the most popular and maybe you want to be indie cool and reject it, but it’s really the Beatles of video game music.

Impossible to beat, but incredible beats: Battletoads.

I only played it once, but I remember really loving the music from Maximum Carnage (and I got a hold of the cassette single by Green Jellÿ (neé Jello)).

And I’ve probably said this somewhere on the forum before, and it even came up in a Twitch stream conversation earlier this week… though not composed music, the sound design on the Atari 2600 games Demon Attack and Yars Revenge are what Depeche Mode wish they could have done.

2 Likes

Am I misremembering, or did the Tomb Raider games on PS 1/2 have some decent music as well?

1 Like

Huge fan of Supergiant Games (Hades,Pyre, Transistor, Bastion) The music of Daren Korb & Ashely Barrett is a huge reason for it!

1 Like

Also, Portal has at least one good song…

2 Likes

I generally go to Overclocked Remix for game music.

3 Likes

The Dreamcast had some nice beautiful music. Here’s a playlist of iconic music from some of my favorite games!
Dreamcast Mix - YouTube

Bonus!! Nintendo Gamecube Mix - YouTube

Double Bonus!!! PlayStation 2 Mix - YouTube

3 Likes

Everyone and their three-headed monkey has a cover of the Monkey Island theme, but here’s some more unusual versions:

1 Like

I hate to come off sounding all one-dimensional and stuff, but I’m here to sing the praises of pants Capcom.

For me, a contender for the all-time king would have to be the Moon Theme from DuckTales for the NES. This really has no business being ANYWHERE near as good as it is. It still endures to this day as an A+++++ track.

5 Likes

While on the subject of Capcom games, Street Fighter II is one for the ages, whether it’s the main theme, the eight character stages, or the four boss themes.

But for my money, the best thing there was Ryu’s ending theme. A fittingly awesome track for one of the greatest video game endings.

This guitar cover is pretty impressive as well…

… as well as this live medley of Street Fighter II tunes, including Balrog’s theme, Guile’s theme, Ken’s stage theme and heavy damage theme, and finally, Ryu’s ending.

3 Likes