Bizarre and/or terrible kung fu and martial arts films.

It would never fly for an MST3K riff, but my friends and I did Riki Oh for film night and it was a success across the board. Relentlessly violent and incredibly gory, it was great.

5 Likes

I love the jump kick through a random stack of bricks that vaguely resembles a wall at the end. :rofl:

Old kung fu trailers are great. I even have a Blu Ray that is just trailers:

Story of Ricky/Riki-Oh is just hilariously ott. I’m not sure that at the end Ricky punching through the prison wall and letting all the prisoners out was the wisest decision though.

It’s actually getting a Blu Ray release in 3 weeks thanks to 88 films.

2 Likes

More fun with kung-fu trailers. The sell job for Ron Van Cleef here is extraordinary:

“Big mothers are his SPECIALTY!”

If anyone could be called “the black Six Million Dollar Man,” I guess Jim Kelly would be that person.

Warning: the movie this trailer is selling is FAR cooler than what this movie actually is:

3 Likes

That narrator sounds like daddy hadn’t had his “medicine” yet.

2 Likes

Nobody gonna mention Gymkata?

3 Likes

Ninja III: The Domination–because nothing is more 80’s than cramming a ninja movie, an exorcist knock-off, and Flashdance into the same movie.

Also, starring Master Ninja’s own Sho Kosugi!

1 Like

This came out when I was in high school and I first watched it at an anime club party at someone’s house. Everybody in the room was laughing to the point of tears and we’d quote it endlessly at each other.

Years later when Rotten Tomatoes was new, I’d look up the worst-rated movies and this was in the single digits. Critics hated it. And yet, most people I know who have seen this movie love it. Critics just don’t understand, man. It’s dumb on purpose and it’s glorious.

2 Likes

“Omae wa mou shinderu.”
“Nani?”

Cue graphic head explosion.

Speaking of graphic head explosions, have you guys seen Riki-Oh: The Story of Riki? That’s one of my favorites.

5 Likes

Yes, that one is deranged. It’s like a live-action North Star movie. My brother showed it to me after I introduced him to North Star.

4 Likes

I’ve been watching the Rifftrax version of Fist of Fury.

As much as I like Bruce Lee and his movies, it is going to be hard to take the film seriously after seeing Rifftrax. When I started watching this, I was laughing so hard that I had tears coming out of my eyes!

4 Likes

It’s not as if Fist of Fury isn’t already pretty crazy even before Rifftrax got their hands on it (especially the dub, which informs us that Petrov is from “Rusher”) but the two together is like comedy chocolate and peanut butter.

3 Likes

That scene where Bruce Lee’s character kills the cook with repeated punches to his ribs saying “Why did you kill my teacher? Why, why, why, why, why…?” just look so corny because of the dub. I know it was meant to be both a sad and even scary moment but it just came off to me as hilarious.

2 Likes

I really enjoy how Bruce’s character seems to be having a nervous breakdown through the whole movie and the only way he can express it is with homicidal rage delivered in a way that even Shatner might find excessive.

4 Likes
2 Likes

The 1979 film Kung Fu Versus Yoga

No, I didn’t make that up; that is a real film with that very title. It involves two kung fu fighting buddies having to steal treasures from a very limber yoga master.

This one would make good riffing material for Jonah and the bots!

1 Like

You know, that was one that used to just kind of stun me when it was on. It was just astonishingly dumb. The improbably named Lucinda Dickey was cute, and that was her big year, I guess, starring in this and Breakin’ 2: Electric Boogaloo.

It’s been a while but do they just put Sho Kosugi in when he’s “possessing” Dickey? I don’t recall her actually doing any martial art stuff.

2 Likes

That the movie takes time to explore the erotic applications of V-8 juice (perhaps the least erotic libation to come from the mind of man) was. . .well, it’s certainly a choice.

Sho is actually the good guy in Ninja III (he’s not quite the same character from Revenge of the Ninja, but I guess he was home when Canon phoned, they offered a chance to be in another movie and Sho was like “Yes, of course I like money,” and here we are.

HOWEVER, if it’s peak Kosugi 80’s ninja action you’re after. . .well, my friend, you have to go to the immortal 9 Deaths of the Ninja

“You’re listening to the Lite FM. Now, here’s ninjas.”

6 Likes

My favorite bad Kung Fu movie is Fist of Golden Monkey (For a start there are no Golden Monkeys outside of the secondhand store Casio madness that is the title sequence) “starring” Elton Chong :flushed:
I remember seeing this on Saturday Black Belt Theater on the local (Channel 45 or 54 Baltimore) about 30 years ago. I Googled every scene I could remember-a drunken fighter with a glove on his head and a painted red nose/cutting off a finger in disgrace/where the protagonist learns kungfu by watching a crab and snake fight on the beach…then I proceeded to watch every movie on Wu Tang collection on YouTube until I was sure it wasn’t the movie I was looking for starting with the ‘A’s…then the ‘B’s, etc…until I got to the ‘F’s. Once I saw the crab vs snake scene on the beach I knew my quest was complete :rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

“Attention all personnel! Attention all personell! Incoming Valerians! Get your spandex on!”

4 Likes

Oh, I loved that guy’s collaboration with Chong Lennon.

3 Likes